• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Repeating a scanner using a CDM 1250 radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

unioner101

I have been for the past week or so researching and experimenting with how to use my radio shack scanner and a CDM1250 as a single direction (or RICK) repeater. This is what i have come up with so far (Please let me know if you see any issues or have any other suggestions).

Take the audio out from the scanner and split it (one for the audio to be repeated and another to be used to create carrier). The one audio output to be connected to directly into a RICK repeater cable I had (RA-1M Repeater Adaptor Motorola GM300 CDM CDM1250 RICK - eBay (item 350272827387 end time Dec-25-10 13:38:03 PST))

The audio out from the scanner would be connected to that of what would be coming out of Pin 11 (if I was using a motorola mobile as the source).

The other audio out would be used to create the carrier, or to "key the radio." That output would first go into a voice operated relay switch (Super Sensitive Sound Voice Activated Relay Switch - Assembled). That would create a 3 amp carrier whenever the scanner produces audio (above a controllable level). However since motorola microphones do not work on carrier, they work on ground, the output from the voice operated relay would have to go into another relay.

From what I have researched motorola mics have a continuous 250ma current through them, when the mic is keyed it grounds thus "keying the mic." To recreate this i have a regulated 250ma transformer (a power supply for a small security camera), that will be connected to another standard relay. The voice operated relay will act a the switch however wired in a fashion to close the relay, thus creating a ground, keying the mic.

When the mic is keyed the audio input is from the scanner thus broadcasting the scanner audio. It is somewhat complex, but i am not aware of any other devices that will repeat audio from your 3.5 mm audio jack.

ALSO, it should be known the frequencies being repeater are all licensed by me (VHF and UHF) and is being repeated over another frequency licensed by me. So there is no legality issues.

Thanks

jim202

I have been for the past week or so researching and experimenting with how to use my radio shack scanner and a CDM1250 as a single direction (or RICK) repeater. This is what i have come up with so far (Please let me know if you see any issues or have any other suggestions).

Take the audio out from the scanner and split it (one for the audio to be repeated and another to be used to create carrier). The one audio output to be connected to directly into a RICK repeater cable I had (RA-1M Repeater Adaptor Motorola GM300 CDM CDM1250 RICK - eBay (item 350272827387 end time Dec-25-10 13:38:03 PST))

The audio out from the scanner would be connected to that of what would be coming out of Pin 11 (if I was using a motorola mobile as the source).

The other audio out would be used to create the carrier, or to "key the radio." That output would first go into a voice operated relay switch (Super Sensitive Sound Voice Activated Relay Switch - Assembled). That would create a 3 amp carrier whenever the scanner produces audio (above a controllable level). However since motorola microphones do not work on carrier, they work on ground, the output from the voice operated relay would have to go into another relay.

From what I have researched motorola mics have a continuous 250ma current through them, when the mic is keyed it grounds thus "keying the mic." To recreate this i have a regulated 250ma transformer (a power supply for a small security camera), that will be connected to another standard relay. The voice operated relay will act a the switch however wired in a fashion to close the relay, thus creating a ground, keying the mic.

When the mic is keyed the audio input is from the scanner thus broadcasting the scanner audio. It is somewhat complex, but i am not aware of any other devices that will repeat audio from your 3.5 mm audio jack.

ALSO, it should be known the frequencies being repeater are all licensed by me (VHF and UHF) and is being repeated over another frequency licensed by me. So there is no legality issues.

Thanks

Can't tell from the information given, but you need to be aware of the DC bias voltage on the RX
filtered audio output on pin 11 of the CDM radio. Make sure when you connect up to this point that
the bias voltage is still present. Hopefully there is a coupling capacitor in the RIC circuit to block
the DC voltage.

The same thing will happen on the TX mic connection. There is a DC bias voltage on the mic high
connection that you don't want to short out. Again hopefully the RIC has provided a coupling
capacitor to block the DC bias from being shorted.

Happy playing with the RIC you found. If the RX audio from the scanner or RX source gets too
high, it will cause audio distortion on the transmitter. Again if the RIC is designed carefully, it
will have some sort of audio gain control to set the TX audio level.

Aside from the technical issues, yes the legalities do apply. Even if you are licensed for all the frequencies involved that in itself does not convey authority to operate a repeater without the applicable licenses to indicate repeater operation.

Gezelle007

Lurker in the Deep
Premium Subscriber
Aside from the technical issues, yes the legalities do apply. Even if you are licensed for all the frequencies involved that in itself does not convey authority to operate a repeater without the applicable licenses to indicate repeater operation.

Isn't it illegal to repeat audio from other communications onto separate frequencies, with the exception of radio patches and amatuer communications? One example- what I thought twice about doing in the car- plugging a scanner into an ipod fm transmitter and using it to have stereo audio in the car... I had that setup for about 10 minutes and then realized I should probably stop that.

LANEWZ

Isn't it illegal to repeat audio from other communications onto separate frequencies, with the exception of radio patches and amatuer communications? One example- what I thought twice about doing in the car- plugging a scanner into an ipod fm transmitter and using it to have stereo audio in the car... I had that setup for about 10 minutes and then realized I should probably stop that.
Using a licensed radio telephone interconnect or cell phone to retransmit scanner audio would be legal, right?

davidgcet

Premium Subscriber
if he is licensed for repeaters on both bands, unless this is a fixed point that is above 6 meters i don't think it is completely illegal. if it was then PAC/RT and other cross band repeaters would not be allowed. there may be a certain designator required on the license, i dunno for sure as i have never licensed anything for cross band use.

we used to maintain a road construction company's radios and they had a low band/UHF cross band setup. all trucks had low band, and all base locations had a switch to choose which base to use on the remotes. any traffic on either freq was retransmitted on the other band so that local trucks heard the traffic on low band and distant trucks could hear/talk thru an identical setup at another tower. should a repeater be offline, the base could talk direct on low band but for the most part they talked UHF only to the repeaters which was then resent on both UHF and low band.

n1das

All legal issues aside, how will the setup prevent the scanner's receiver front end from being overloaded or "de-sensed" by the CDM mobile when it transmits? Is this setup going to use separate antennas or a single antenna?

The receivers in most scanners tend to be broad as a barn in terms of what the receiver's front end will pick up. The end result is they are much more susceptible to overload from strong nearby signals compared to 2-way commercial 2-way radio gear that has a tighter front end to it. A homebrewed repeater will work much better if it uses a commerical grade 2-way mobile for a receiver instead of a scanner.

Do you have another CDM1250 mobile or similar to use for the receiver?

nd5y

if he is licensed for repeaters on both bands, unless this is a fixed point that is above 6 meters i don't think it is completely illegal. if it was then PAC/RT and other cross band repeaters would not be allowed. there may be a certain designator required on the license, i dunno for sure as i have never licensed anything for cross band use.

PAC/RT and other vehicular repeaters are supposed to have MO3 as the station class.
As far as I know the 6.1 meter rule is only for control stations, not bases or repeaters.

wyomingmedic

The question is, what kind of traffic will you be re-broadcasting? If it is law enforcement or some other public safety, i is illegal to rebroadcast that.

WM

Status
Not open for further replies.