RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial and Professional Radio > Motorola Forum

Motorola Forum For general discussion of Motorola land mobile radio equipment and their trunking technologies.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2011, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRayfield View Post
I think dsheli was probably referring to Smartnet/Smartzone. That is proprietary to Motorola and Motorola licensed EFJ to build compatible subscriber units.

John Rayfield, Jr. - CETma
What he said... I am not trying to stir the pot it just makes me mad when I can only buy a radio from Motorola or EF to go on out states legacy analog smartzone network. Yet I seams like it is easy to find radios that will do 9600b p25.

Now on to the Simulcast topic, John could you post some links to the simulcast manufactures? Also does it use IP/gps or does it require a Microwave link? Since Mototrbo is based on DMR are there any "standard" functions that will work other then voice between manufactures? For example do the Trbos have some features that are unique to trbo to trbo radios such as encryption?

Dsheli
Sponsored links
Old 01-11-2011, 10:31 PM

Here's a link to one of the manufacturer's of DMR simulcast systems:

Radio Activity Srl - DIGITAL MOBILE RADIO -MOBILE RADIO NETWORKS - SIMULCAST NETWORKS

They are in Italy. I hope that they eventually offer their products here in the U.S.

I believe their systems can use microwave, UHF links, or IP with GPS syncing. There's quite a bit of fairly detailed information on their site.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Here's a link to one of the manufacturer's of DMR simulcast systems:

Radio Activity Srl - DIGITAL MOBILE RADIO -MOBILE RADIO NETWORKS - SIMULCAST NETWORKS

They are in Italy. I hope that they eventually offer their products here in the U.S.

I believe their systems can use microwave, UHF links, or IP with GPS syncing. There's quite a bit of fairly detailed information on their site.

What are your thoughts on Motorola coming out with a similar IP GPS simulcast based system?
Old 01-12-2011, 7:57 PM

I'm not sure about Motorola coming out with a simulcast system for MOTOTRBO. But that sure is a good 'topic' for conversation with Motorola people at the upcoming IWCE show in Las Vegas in March. :-)

Old 01-12-2011, 11:34 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure about Motorola coming out with a simulcast system for MOTOTRBO. But that sure is a good 'topic' for conversation with Motorola people at the upcoming IWCE show in Las Vegas in March. :-)

John I hope, if you are going, that you personally ask that question for me and promptly report back to RR.lol I would love to here what they have to say.
Thanks,
Dsheli
Sponsored links
Old 01-16-2011, 8:53 PM

Thumbs up Mototrbo

I volunteer for a Pa fire dept. I use a trbo radio in digital encrypted mode in my contracting business from day to day with no problems at all. I use this same radio xpr6550 in analog mode for fire and firepolice operations again with no problems at all. We are communications contractors and own our own equipment. With that being said the trbo meets or exceeds the same specs as the ht1250.
I trust my mototrbo radio everyday, I've never been let down!
Old 03-17-2013, 3:13 AM

Default Mototrbo terrible

Our Police Service has had Mototrbo for app. 5 years now and have had nothing but problems with our portable radios. Our in car radios seem to work fine. We are a small service of 31 Officers with a small town and one township. We have nuemrous dead areas with our portables and have had them since we got this sytem. The dead areas range from in buildings to in open areas(we have dead areas in our Station which has a tower beside it). We have missed transmissions as well. We are at the point now were Officers are thinking about refusing to work because they don't feel the radios are safe.
Our Service is now looking at Beta testing Pyramid repeaters in our cruiser to try to fix this issue.
Our GPS software and emergency pin system seems to go down all the time as well.
The company that sold us the system is here about every other week working on them.
I know when the system was installed, it was considerably cheaper($500k) compared to other tenders($1.5 mil), but if you ask me, it would have been worth the money to use something differently.