RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial and Professional Radio > Motorola Forum

Motorola Forum For general discussion of Motorola land mobile radio equipment and their trunking technologies.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-21-2011, 4:18 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Motorola Software

Before I get to the question let me make this clear: I am NOT asking for software or sources of software!!

The question is can Motorola tell if you installed RSS or CPS without a license agreement. I read on Repeater-Builder that motorola has copy protection in the CPS as a traceable code. Can they find out if you installed the software through this code? Any answers are appreciated.

Z. Sauve
Sponsored links
Old 06-21-2011, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsauve View Post
Before I get to the question let me make this clear: I am NOT asking for software or sources of software!!

The question is can Motorola tell if you installed RSS or CPS without a license agreement. I read on Repeater-Builder that motorola has copy protection in the CPS as a traceable code. Can they find out if you installed the software through this code? Any answers are appreciated.

Z. Sauve
Copy protection is an agreement that you make with Motorola saying you aren't going to give your software out to third parties. Regardless of that agreement, there are people who still give it out- even try to sell it on ebay.
Old 06-21-2011, 5:46 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I can tell you that Astro 25 portable and mobile CPS R15 "calls home" or at least zone alarm says it does. I don't care, mine is fully legit and licensed. But I do notice it when I open the PATPORT.EXE and read or write a radio.
Old 06-21-2011, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS2000des View Post
I can tell you that Astro 25 portable and mobile CPS R15 "calls home" or at least zone alarm says it does. I don't care, mine is fully legit and licensed. But I do notice it when I open the PATPORT.EXE and read or write a radio.
I run it on a computer that never, ever sees the internet, and it doesn't seem to care.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS2000des View Post
The reason zone alarm see's your CPS is because with R15, OTAP (over the air programming) is looking at your network for a connection to the Zone Manager/User Database Server
Sponsored links

Old 06-23-2011, 6:00 PM

NO Motorola CPS or RSS calls home.

Rumor has it the Moto did concider this as an option but far too many service centers have laptops and rotate ther comupters or programs arrond that it would be a logistical nightmare to have the software verify before use. This being the situation Moto relies on the licence agreement and their legal staff to enforce the copywright. They are very good at thier job, the cost of CPS is not too outragious and you get the added benifit of support.

The last thing I need is to fly halfway across the country to program up a customers equipment just to find out that the CPs either needs a internet connection to work or to be loaded. Many customers have equip[ment not programmed to the current and DO NOT want to update the version for whatever reason.
Old 07-13-2011, 8:04 PM

Does the Astro software (R15) program all XTS/XTL series radios? Or just the XTS5000 series?
Old 07-13-2011, 8:21 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Astro25 Portable does: XTS1500, XTS2500, XTS5000, PR1500, MT1500, SSE5000
Astro25 Mobile does: XTL2500, XTL5000
Old 07-13-2011, 8:26 PM

Thanks!
Sponsored links
Old 07-14-2011, 4:01 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezking View Post
and XTL1500 and PM1500
Old 07-14-2011, 6:28 AM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Misinformation, Ben. Station_Master explained why the firewall was blocking outgoing traffic,and it isn't for the reason you claim. Stop spreading false information.
Old 07-14-2011, 7:29 AM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gezelle007 View Post
Does the Astro software (R15) program all XTS/XTL series radios? Or just the XTS5000 series?
Well Tim, if you take the time to read the newest replies to the thread you'll see I was answering this question by explaining which software does which radio, not trying to answer the OP...
Old 07-14-2011, 7:41 AM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Well Tim, if you take the time to read the newest replies to the thread you'll see I was answering this question by explaining which software does which radio, not trying to answer the OP...
I can't read. I blame the school system.