• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Scanning All 128 Channels On My 250

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bvfd041

I Have All 128 Channels Programmed In My 1250 I Was Wanting to know if it is possible to scan all 128 channels at the same time if so . How do I set it to do it again any information will be helpful thank you

Attachments

• 990938995310.jpg
    990938995310.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 506

n5ims

Most Motorola radios limit you to scanning a maximum of 16 channels. They are designed for professional use where it is expected you'll generally remain on your assigned channel(s). If you're scanning several channels, you could easily miss an important call on your normal channel.

Bvfd041

scanning on the 1250

so you fill the channel capacity to 128 then you decide which channels to scan what would happen if you put all on scan list 1 instead of there right scan list number

firefive76

so you fill the channel capacity to 128 then you decide which channels to scan what would happen if you put all on scan list 1 instead of there right scan list number

You can set every channel to "scan list 1" but you will still only be able to add 16 channels into the scan list. The "scan list 1" setting only means that the personality you are on is capable of being added to the scan list. You can't scan more than 16 channels.

trlrdrdave

Not exactly right firefive. The "scan list 1" is the list it will use if you start scan from this channel. You can add any channel to the list from the menu tho. Just cant be more than 16.

mbnv992

Yes, as was stated, most Motorola radios will NOT have more than 16 channels in your scan list. (well, 15 plus the one you are on).

Kinda sucks, but hey, what can you do ?

It's funny that even if you bought a brand new $5,000+ XTS5000, your still stuck with only the 16 channels to scan lol

firefive76

Not exactly right firefive. The "scan list 1" is the list it will use if you start scan from this channel. You can add any channel to the list from the menu tho. Just cant be more than 16.

False. You can build several scan lists with different personalities. The scan list number has nothing to do with what channel you are on when you enable scan. Lets say I have personalities 1, 2, and 3 set to scan list 1 and personalities 4, 5, and 6 set to scan list 2. Then say all of the channels have been added to the scan. I can scan channel 1, 2, and 3 if my radio is on channel 1, 2, or 3. To scan 4, 5, and 6 I would have to have my radio on channel 4, 5, or 6. Hope this makes sense.

trlrdrdave

I think you and I are on the same page. Whatever scan list the channel you are on says when u start scan that is what list you scan. I stand by my statement. You can put any channel in the list. Or assign any list to any channel. Just can't scan more than one list of sixteen channels.......Just reread your post firefive, I am changing my mind you are wrong.

Last edited:

firefive76

I think you and I are on the same page. Whatever scan list the channel you are on says when u start scan that is what list you scan. I stand by my statement. You can put any channel in the list. Or assign any list to any channel. Just can't scan more than one list of sixteen channels.......Just reread your post firefive, I am changing my mind you are wrong.

Care to explain how I am wrong? BTW, I've been programming these things for years, you could say that I know how to program them ;) On mine, I have 3 zones of public safety channels, all that are set up on scan list 1. I also have a zone of ham radio freqs that are set up on scan list 2. If I want to scan public safety channels, I must have a public safety channel selected (scan list 1.) If I want to scan ham freqs, I have to have a ham channel selected (scan list 2.)

trlrdrdave

Ok. If you want to add any channel to your scan list all you have to do is go in to the menu and add channels. Every channel in the radio is available. Even if it doesn't have a scan list assigned. If it doesn't have a scan list assigned it will not scan if you try to from that channel. What ever channel you start scan from the radio will scan the list that you assigned to that channel. A scan list doesn't care what channels are in the list. You can do it the way you say and it will work that way. I too have been programming these things for years. I am 49 and have worked for Motorola dealer since I was 19. I have public safety because I am a volunteer fireman and EMT. I have amateur frequencys because I have a general class ham ticket. I also have a couple of zones full of customers repeaters I have to maintain. I also have most of these set up in zones like you do. I have one zone that is a mixture of everything that I listen to the most. It scans across zones easily. Like I said you just have to be aware of what channel you start scan from because that is the list it will scan. I have been carrying an vhf EX600 I ordered the first day they were available. I have a uhf HT1250 that I have carried even longer. I can make these 2 radios do anything I have ever tried, except qcII and mdc at the same time lol. "you could say that I know how to program them " too. All you have to do is try it my way and you might learn a little something. I am willing to talk you through it if you need help.

firefive76

Ok. If you want to add any channel to your scan list all you have to do is go in to the menu and add channels. Every channel in the radio is available. Even if it doesn't have a scan list assigned. If it doesn't have a scan list assigned it will not scan if you try to from that channel. What ever channel you start scan from the radio will scan the list that you assigned to that channel. A scan list doesn't care what channels are in the list. You can do it the way you say and it will work that way. I too have been programming these things for years. I am 49 and have worked for Motorola dealer since I was 19. I have public safety because I am a volunteer fireman and EMT. I have amateur frequencys because I have a general class ham ticket. I also have a couple of zones full of customers repeaters I have to maintain. I also have most of these set up in zones like you do. I have one zone that is a mixture of everything that I listen to the most. It scans across zones easily. Like I said you just have to be aware of what channel you start scan from because that is the list it will scan. I have been carrying an vhf EX600 I ordered the first day they were available. I have a uhf HT1250 that I have carried even longer. I can make these 2 radios do anything I have ever tried, except qcII and mdc at the same time lol. "you could say that I know how to program them " too. All you have to do is try it my way and you might learn a little something. I am willing to talk you through it if you need help.

FALSE! Once again, the radio's channel selector does nothing with what scan list the radios scans. Also, if a personality does not have a scan list assigned, the radio will NOT scan it, regardless. It won't even show up in the menu on the radio as available to be added. I don't need to be walked through this either as I have my radio set up just how I like it. The OP's question has been answered (no more than 16 channels that are able to be scanned at a time) so I'm good with that.

trlrdrdave

Ok you believe what you want. You call what I stated "FALSE". Bet you didn't even try it. I just verified in both my radios what I said was TRUE. I'll just let whoever reads this figure out which method works better for their self. Tell you what you do. Go to your zone 1 channel 1 personality in cps. Change scan 1 to none. Go to zone 1 channel 3 and make sure it is scan 1. Program it. When it beeps go to zone 1 channel 3 hit scan I promise it will still scan your channel 1.

DPapay

Just for the record, trlrdrdave, you are correct, you can set up many different lists that can be assigned to many different channels, meaning the channel selector "changes" the lists. The main reason that a small limited amount of channels can be scanned on M radios, is the time it takes to scan all those channels can be too long to make a public safety radio reliable. The saying goes: "If you want a scanner, get a scanner." Firefive is right also in saying you cannot scan more than 16 channels at one time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.