RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial and Professional Radio > Motorola Forum

Motorola Forum For general discussion of Motorola land mobile radio equipment and their trunking technologies.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-17-2011, 6:18 AM

Exclamation Motorola Centracom Elite Dispatch Software

I work for a 911 center In rural Nebraska. We have a problem that our radio guy cant figure out Iam wondering if some one can help. Please

We have Motorola Centrcom Elite radio software running on a Windows Vista machine. We are getting what sounds like a hello-copter in the back ground but only when we transmit. It doesnt always do it.

We also have an older postion that is running a computer with ms-dos that DOES NOT have this issue.

As anyone every came accross this.
Sponsored links
Old 08-17-2011, 10:07 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

How close is the transmitter to the computer speakers? Ran into that before with a dispatcher trying to key a portable at her operator position. Shielded the speakers and wires a little better to fix it.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:47 PM

The only speakers are in the radio council itself from Motorola. We have tried changing speakers and that didn't work at all.
Thanks for the advise
Old 08-17-2011, 6:28 PM

are you using a goose neck mic or a headset? if so try unplugging them and using the internal mic. if that clears it up then you may have a bad cord or a ground loop on the goose neck.

i've also seen the goosenecks gain turned up so high that it hears a desktop fan across the room.

can you switch CIEs between the 2 positions to see if it follows the main gray box?

i doubt seriously this is a software issue, sounds like hardware to me.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:52 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Most of my problems of this type stem from the CIE (gray speaker box at the op position). It can be swapped (as davidcet mentioned) with another position, box to box or cables at the CEB, usually without a problem to see if the clam follows it. If it is position specific, it may also be the COIM card at the CEB. I would not recommend swapping COIM cards to troubleshoot unless you know exactly what you are doing (unless you want to see a bunch of irate dispatchers because you put the entire system into recovery!)
Sponsored links
Old 08-19-2011, 2:11 PM

check for a cell phone. often the dispatch or someone has one in the immediate area of the console. What you are hearing is the handshake between the phone and the site.
Old 08-19-2011, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary123 View Post
check for a cell phone. often the dispatch or someone has one in the immediate area of the console. What you are hearing is the handshake between the phone and the site.
Nextel is the absolute worst for getting into stuff like that. I have seen them cause that on the Gold Elite (not MCC 7500) and even in close proximity to a desk mic on a Spectra control station.