RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial and Professional Radio > Motorola Forum

Motorola Forum For general discussion of Motorola land mobile radio equipment and their trunking technologies.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-26-2012, 5:28 PM

Default HT 1000 AN...and narrow banding

I keep seeing conflicting information in regards to the AN BN model HT1000 's and narrow banding. Batlabs stated that it does indeed narrow band (AN), and referencing the model with Motorola it states "user programmable" for narrow band. However i keep reading that the DN model is the only one capable of narrow band. So what has the experience been with the earlier HT1000 and programming narrow band 12.5khz or less?
Sponsored links
Old 04-26-2012, 6:57 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

All models AN, BN, CN and DN will do the NB deviation (12.5 kHz vs. 25 kHz) but only the DN models are capable of tuning to the "splinter" frequencies (forget the exact resolution right now) that were added to the band plan.
Old 04-26-2012, 7:25 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Yes, it will narrowband, BUT, it isnt like the 1250 where each personality canindividually be set. If you narrowband the 1000, everything on that radio will be narrow. That is what was explained to me by /\/\.
Old 04-26-2012, 7:32 PM

That was my understanding, the radio will be set on low power on MURS frequencies anyway and narrow banding is allowed on all frequencies anyway. I picked up a AN in great shape for $25.00 with charger and mike cant wait get it programmed.
Old 04-26-2012, 7:45 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

No, you set each mode (channel) to whatever you want, narrow, mid (20 kHz) or wide, at least on every 1000 I've seen. Perhaps you're (or whomever you talked to) thinking about some of the Radius portables that were either or.
Old 04-26-2012, 7:57 PM

Only the DN's will do the 2.5 Khz steps necessary to program in one of the newer splinter channels, ie. 153.777500. The AN-CN models will do the new 12.5 Khz channel spacing spec, but only for non-splinter frequencies like 155.235000.

In many cases, earlier models will still be very serviceable for many years to come. But when an agency licenses and implements a splinter channel some time in the future, the earlier models won't be programmable to the new frequencies.
Old 04-26-2012, 8:00 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Exactly. It does get confusing unless you deal with these sorts of issues on a daily basis! So many variables.
Old 04-26-2012, 9:01 PM

Thanks for the input, and there is indeed almost a science in learning the programming and functionality of the motorola radios.