• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

digital CDM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebel310

Premium Subscriber
Is there any truth to being able to turn a CDM1550 into a digital radio

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The only way I know how to do it would be to feed digital audio into the mic jack or rear connector. It's an analog radio from the factory. I could be missing something, I only own a few of them.

APX7500X2

LOL
I love when people post and don't really know the answer.

You can get a board for the CDM series that converts it to digital
and AES encryption.
It converts the analog voice to digital and then adds AES encryption.
Search the internet, some people are using them and say it sounds great and if you have a system with AES they talk and recive from a XTL5000 with AES
The only thing I can't find is if they can work in the clear...Im going to get one and try it out

fineshot1

LOL
I love when people post and don't really know the answer.

You can get a board for the CDM series that converts it to digital
and AES encryption.
Search the internet, some people are using them and say it sounds great and if you have a system with AES they talk and recive from a XTL5000 with AES
The only thing I can't find is if they can work in the clear...Im going to get one and try it out

Yes - I love it also.

That board does not make the CDM radio series digital.

It simply allows the CDM radio series to PASS or REPEAT digital audio
without distorting the waveform so it can be decoded by a user on the far end.

There are similar mod boards for the maxtrac/radius/GM series radios.

Not the same thing so I answered the OP's question correctly as he asked it.

APX7500X2

Yes - I love it also.

That board does not make the CDM radio series digital.

It simply allows the CDM radio series to PASS or REPEAT digital audio
without distorting the waveform so it can be decoded by a user on the far end.

There are similar mod boards for the maxtrac/radius/GM series radios.

Not the same thing so I answered the OP's question correctly as he asked it.

You must have missed what I said

"You can get a board for the CDM series that converts it to digital
and AES encryption.
The only thing I can't find is if they can work in the clear...Im going to get one and try it out "

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
I'm pretty sure the OP wanted to know if the CDM1550 could do digital. Simple answer, no it is analog only. An after-market board isn't quite the same thing. That is like asking if a PRO-43 scanner can do ProVoice trunking or MotoTRBO. Yes it can, however needs an add-on device to do so.

fineshot1

You must have missed what I said

"You can get a board for the CDM series that converts it to digital
and AES encryption.
The only thing I can't find is if they can work in the clear...Im going to get one and try it out "

ok - i did some searching and i guess you are referring to this below.

Digital Encryption for Motorola P25 Protocol

Nabishi NDB-750 Digital Encryption - YouTube

I thought you were talking about making a digital CDM radio
with a module connected to the CDM acc port like I saw for
a maxtrac which someone made a P25 and also a DStar
passive repeater from.

My apologies to kdh310 and apx7500x2 for the misunderstanding.

Anyway - apparently there are problems with this working on some
of the moto radios but supposedly works on other manufactures
radios aok - see batlabs thread below:

Batboard • View topic - Has anyone heard of the Nabishi AES crypto option boards?

Not sure how i missed this on the batlabs website seeing
how i visit that site often.

Status
Not open for further replies.