RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial and Professional Radio > Motorola Forum

Motorola Forum For general discussion of Motorola land mobile radio equipment and their trunking technologies.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2012, 11:02 PM

Question Motorola Minitor 4 Question

Awhile back I purchased a Minitor 4 pager so that I can program it to my county's fire and rescue frequency, with my station's tones (and give back my station issued one for re-issue). So when I got mine I took both to a radio shop that programs them and asked if they could make mine into an exact copy of the station issued one. Well they did it but they didn't have the tones set, now at first I didn't really mind but now I want my tones back....is there a way I can do this my self or should I take it back where it was done and have them do it for me, or could there be a reason they didn't do it in the first place???

Thanks
Sponsored links

Old 05-05-2012, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineCo8 View Post
Awhile back I purchased a Minitor 4 pager so that I can program it to my county's fire and rescue frequency, with my station's tones (and give back my station issued one for re-issue). So when I got mine I took both to a radio shop that programs them and asked if they could make mine into an exact copy of the station issued one. Well they did it but they didn't have the tones set, now at first I didn't really mind but now I want my tones back....is there a way I can do this my self or should I take it back where it was done and have them do it for me, or could there be a reason they didn't do it in the first place???

Thanks
My department had a few minitor 4 pagers that needed worked on. I know of a couple of those that needed to be replaced. I took them to our radio shop and was told that Motorola doesn't support minitor 4's anymore. You can still get batteries and possibly reprogram them but if they need repaired, forget it.

You would need a programming dock and software to program them, not sure how hard it is to get a hold of that stuff. Just take it back to them and see if they can reprogram it for you.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:04 AM

I see...well I guess I'll just see what they can do, that or upgrade to a 5
Old 05-06-2012, 12:41 AM

Min 4 are not narrowbandable unless u send them to a company I seen advertising they could make them work anyone with a min 4 dock could program them but per fcc eveyone has to be narrowbanded by 1/1/13
Old 05-06-2012, 12:50 AM

Quote:
I see...well I guess I'll just see what they can do, that or upgrade to a 5
I'd just use what my department gave me. Use the money for something nicer! But that's just me.
Sponsored links
Old 05-06-2012, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScanWV View Post
I'd just use what my department gave me. Use the money for something nicer! But that's just me.
Well I would but already turned that one in, we had a shortage and I had the money to just buy my own and just went ahead and did it so ya I don't know I'll figure it out I guess
Old 05-06-2012, 3:33 AM

Our county just finished a test using the Min 4 pagers as well as the min 5. They found that the min 4 worked almost as well as far as alerting as they did before. There was no real voice quality difference.
Old 05-06-2012, 7:26 AM

Hey Andrew, In your question you asked if you could program the minitor 4 yourself. If you check out EBAY, they always seem to have the programmers and software for sale. Use keyword Minitor programmer... Cost you a over $100. And it's simple to do, as long as you know what your tone codes are. Might be a cheaper alternative to buying a minitor V as they generally run $300-$400.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:17 AM

Nyemt774, I could just find that on a station issued one, then just copy and paste it onto mine right?
Sponsored links
Old 05-06-2012, 11:45 AM

Hey Andrew, Yes, I'm pretty sure it would work. I'd still write down the codes etc from the station one. Just as a backup in case something goes wrong. And, you can also save the info from the station one into a file and write it to your pager. The software from Motorola is surprisingly easy. Prompts and menus direct you. So you shouldn't have a problem.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:36 PM

Awesome thanks
Old 05-06-2012, 3:08 PM

Soooo all I can seem to find is the cradles, but not the software needed, anyone know where I can find that at??
Old 05-06-2012, 4:32 PM

You can download it for free from Motorola. If you register for an account at https://businessonline.motorola.com, It's listed in the resource center under Paging.
Old 05-06-2012, 6:18 PM

Thanks for the tip but all they seem too have is the one for the 5's I need the software for the 4
Old 05-06-2012, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the tip but all they seem too have is the one for the 5's I need the software for the 4
Really? I'm looking at the listing for the IV right now...
Attached Images

Sponsored links
Old 05-07-2012, 2:10 AM

Hmmmmmm some how I missed it.....let's go check again