• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Accessory Mic for CDM 1550

Status
Not open for further replies.

emndive

Hi all just recieved a new E-One fire engine and we are going to mount 3 CDM 1550's in an overhead console. We would prefer to not have mic wires hanging so looking to mount the Mic's down low. I understand i can plug into the 20 pin acc. plug on rear of radio. I have the pin kit from motorola and i believe i need a RJ45 plug? can anyone help with this wiring. What are the pin outs and what should i use for a plug on the other end? phone jack?. and what will need to be changed in the RSS programming? thank you in advance!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I'll have to look on Monday when I get back to work for the exact set up in CPS. You will need to assign pins for push to talk, and that is done in CPS.

The Batlabs page for CDM1550 shows the pin out for the 20 pin connector on the back of the radio.
Pin 2 is external mic audio
Pin 7 is ground
You will need to assign a pin for the Push To talk.

On an RJ45 plug, the following pins would be used to connect the mic:
Pin 4 Ground
Pin 5 Mic audio
Pin 6 Push to talk
Pin 3 Hook

So, you would need to make a cable that does the following:
Pin 5 on the RJ45 would go to pin 2 on the 20 pin connector for Mic auto
Pin 4 on the RJ45 would go to pin 7 on the 20 pin connector for Ground
Pin 6 on the RJ45 would go to pin 3, depending on programming for PTT
Pin 3 on the RJ45 would go to pin x, depending on programming for the hook (HUB/hang up box)
(might be good to have someone double check this, as I've never personally done it on a CDM, but I have done it on a number of Kenwoods.
Ideally you would want some shielded cable for the mic audio, but you might be able to get away with a short run of Category 3 or 5 cable, or pretty much any multi conductor cable, for a short run.

I'll have to look at the CPS when I get to work tomorrow. I've got a MAC laptop I take home, and all my CPS/RSS is on a PC back at the shop.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
So, using Professional Radio CPS R06.11.10:

There are two ways to do this:
One would be to select the "accessory package" as "Remote"

Or, you can do it manually:
Go to "radio configuration.
Click on "Accessory Pins" tab.
For pin 6, select External Mic PTT (Input)

For pin 3, select Mic Off Hook (input)

That should do it. You may have to play around to get it to work correctly. Maybe someone who is more familiar could give you a hand. Like I said, I've never done this on a CDM, only on a few Kenwood radios.

Good luck

Mtnrider

Premium Subscriber
In My humble opinion.....if you spent that kinda money on a New Fire truck.....cant the radio installer do all this for you? I would have specked it from the start... If you want practice i suggest your own radios... IMHO

emndive

I have done this on my own radios, but they are xtls. We have a dept radio tech who only programs will not install. Not a big issue to extend a microphone, just questioning if anything in cps needed to be changed. I'm new to motorolas.

Status
Not open for further replies.