RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial and Professional Radio > Motorola Forum

Motorola Forum For general discussion of Motorola land mobile radio equipment and their trunking technologies.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-30-2012, 9:51 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default CDM Ignition Sense Issue

I'm bashing my head against a wall with a CDM1250 here. It's installed in a squad truck and was never connected to an ignition sense lead to allow it to turn on and off with the ignition. I purchased the correct accessory port plug and installed a wire with the correct pin into the slot for pin 10, and wired it back to an ignition switched power source. Yet, after all of this the radio will not turn on/off with the ignition, it works fine manually turning the unit on and off, but will not follow ignition. I have double, triple, and quadruple checked the ignition sense wiring connections, checked the pin placement, checked the power output at the plug for the accessory connector and get proper voltages at the proper times(ignition on and off). I read the radio, and it is programmed correctly for manual on/off & ignition sense. There are no bent pins, and the plug is firmly seated in the accessory port, there is also an external speaker wired to this plug and it works just fine. I'm going to toss another CDM in it's place tomorrow to see if there might be something wrong with the accessory plug on this unit. Anyone experienced this issue before or have any ideas?
Sponsored links

Old 08-30-2012, 9:59 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Do you have it turned on in the programming (CPS)?

Radio Configuration --> Accessory Configuration --> "Ignition Sense Type"

If not then it will not work.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRNcommLLC View Post
Do you have it turned on in the programming (CPS)?

Radio Configuration --> Accessory Configuration --> "Ignition Sense Type"

If not then it will not work.
That's one of the very first things I do with every radio that comes across my bench. Set it to "On/Off & Ignition" and forget it. There are way too many user problems with any other setting.

Even base radio setups using mobiles really benefit from the setting. The Motorola power supply for most of their radios has an extra + wire for just this purpose. When properly connected and programmed, the radio will come right back on if there is a power interruption when the power is restored.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:39 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdubeii View Post
I'm bashing my head against a wall with a CDM1250 here. It's installed in a squad truck and was never connected to an ignition sense lead to allow it to turn on and off with the ignition. I purchased the correct accessory port plug and installed a wire with the correct pin into the slot for pin 10, and wired it back to an ignition switched power source. Yet, after all of this the radio will not turn on/off with the ignition, it works fine manually turning the unit on and off, but will not follow ignition. I have double, triple, and quadruple checked the ignition sense wiring connections, checked the pin placement, checked the power output at the plug for the accessory connector and get proper voltages at the proper times(ignition on and off). I read the radio, and it is programmed correctly for manual on/off & ignition sense. There are no bent pins, and the plug is firmly seated in the accessory port, there is also an external speaker wired to this plug and it works just fine. I'm going to toss another CDM in it's place tomorrow to see if there might be something wrong with the accessory plug on this unit. Anyone experienced this issue before or have any ideas?
Maybe your reading not a true voltage...check it under load...test it with an old style test light.. Is it possible it's really a ground...in which case you will need a relay. Careful around srs airbags.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:29 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Yes, it is properly programmed in the codeplug (I mentioned that in my original post), and the voltage at the accessory plug is definitely "real voltage" not an induced or capacitively coupled voltage (my meter has a low impedance input mode that loads down the line and would show me if it was a "ghost" voltage). I'm not new to the two way radio field and have worked my way down my list of standard "idiot checks". I was hoping someone had seen this before, because if not I feel I likely have a problem with the accessory port on the CDM and will have to pull it from service to put in on the bench and open it up which I'm leaving as my last resort.
Sponsored links
Old 08-31-2012, 10:10 AM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Ignition control blowing out on a CDM is not that uncommon. Whatever you do to test things, DO NOT program your radio for ignition only. You will then have no way to power the radio up without a trip to the depot.
Old 09-01-2012, 8:45 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-us; DROID BIONIC 4G Build/5.5.1_84_DBN-74) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1GTL
Ignition control blowing out on a CDM is not that uncommon. Whatever you do to test things, DO NOT program your radio for ignition only. You will then have no way to power the radio up without a trip to the depot.
I second the ignition only, that is a BIG no no... You can put a jumper on pins 7&9 and it should power it up,even with ignition only. I have had a CDM1550ls that would not power up on pins 7&9,but thats the only one .