RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial and Professional Radio > Motorola Forum

Motorola Forum For general discussion of Motorola land mobile radio equipment and their trunking technologies.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-16-2012, 12:24 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Trbo voice bps Question

Dstar is encoded at 2400bps rate with a 1200bps Block FEC AMBE with another 1200 bps for misc data for a total of 4800bps in a 6.25khz signal Can I get a similar break down for mototrbo 12.5khz?

Tdma slot 1:

Voice bps ambe +2
FEC bps and type
Data rate
Anything else?

Slot 2....etcetc

Any guard channels?

I can't find this data anywhere on the net and just keep hitting on generic Motorola advertising PDFs.

Thx
Sponsored links
Old 10-17-2012, 12:20 AM

MOTOTRBO uses the DMR (Digital Mobile Radio) standard. You can download the full specs for that standard at ETSI.

John Rayfield, Jr. CETma
W0PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k6ozy View Post
Dstar is encoded at 2400bps rate with a 1200bps Block FEC AMBE with another 1200 bps for misc data for a total of 4800bps in a 6.25khz signal Can I get a similar break down for mototrbo 12.5khz?

Tdma slot 1:

Voice bps ambe +2
FEC bps and type
Data rate
Anything else?

Slot 2....etcetc

Any guard channels?

I can't find this data anywhere on the net and just keep hitting on generic Motorola advertising PDFs.

Thx
Old 10-17-2012, 12:59 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I found VERY good info here. MOTOTRBO uses DMR Tier2.

http://dmrassociation.org/wp-content...nal-Tier-2.pdf

DVSI AMBE+2TM is based on Multi-Band Excitation (MBE), i.e. a frequency- domain approach

– very low bit rate 2450 bps (voice) + 1150 bps (FEC) = 3600 bps
Protected data with 1/2 rate, 3/4 rate and rate 1 (unprotected) Forward Error Correction (FEC) acknowledged and unacknowledged

Both have 2400bps encoding + 1200bps FEC with 1200bps additional data
The AMBE +2 codec in MOTOTRBO is superior and newer vs the AMBE codec used in Dstar.
MOTOTRBO does not comply to the 6.25khz UHF requirement
MOTOTRBO S/N is lower than DStar due to 2x bandwidth at a given power
Ham MOTOTRBO repeaters preset what slot 1 and slot 2 does, where Dstar lets a user connect a repeater freely and has multiple nodes (A,B,C), bands if your radio can too.
Both formats support GPS data transport and instant caller identification
Both use Proprietary audio codecs, but use open standard formats (DMR & D*Star JARL open standards)

Both of these formats seem very, very similar. I really don't understand why in my local area there is such hatred from each group to the other. The technology seems darn near identical but with slightly tweaked uses of the data channel and configuration / routing freedom.

Anything else I may have missed? I am just trying to be very unbiased about this, as I am a lover of all technologies. I'm tired of the people of my local clubs spouting very one-sided information.

Last edited by k6ozy; 10-17-2012 at 1:04 AM..
Old 10-18-2012, 9:15 AM

Good information, but here's one minor correction and a couple of additions:

MOTOTRBO does comply with the FCC's requirements for 6.25 khz. It's referred to as "6.25 khz equivalent". MOTOTRBO can even sync the two time slots in simplex mode, now, so can provide "6.25 khz equivalency" in simplex.

The total over-the-air data rate for MOTOTRBO (DMR) is 9600 bps.

With additional equipment/software (c-Bridge Controllers), the time slots in a MOTOTRBO system can become 'dynamic' with regards to how they're used.

John Rayfield, Jr. CETma

Quote:
Originally Posted by k6ozy View Post
I found VERY good info here. MOTOTRBO uses DMR Tier2.

http://dmrassociation.org/wp-content...nal-Tier-2.pdf

DVSI AMBE+2TM is based on Multi-Band Excitation (MBE), i.e. a frequency- domain approach

very low bit rate 2450 bps (voice) + 1150 bps (FEC) = 3600 bps
Protected data with 1/2 rate, 3/4 rate and rate 1 (unprotected) Forward Error Correction (FEC) acknowledged and unacknowledged

Both have 2400bps encoding + 1200bps FEC with 1200bps additional data
The AMBE +2 codec in MOTOTRBO is superior and newer vs the AMBE codec used in Dstar.
MOTOTRBO does not comply to the 6.25khz UHF requirement
MOTOTRBO S/N is lower than DStar due to 2x bandwidth at a given power
Ham MOTOTRBO repeaters preset what slot 1 and slot 2 does, where Dstar lets a user connect a repeater freely and has multiple nodes (A,B,C), bands if your radio can too.
Both formats support GPS data transport and instant caller identification
Both use Proprietary audio codecs, but use open standard formats (DMR & D*Star JARL open standards)

Both of these formats seem very, very similar. I really don't understand why in my local area there is such hatred from each group to the other. The technology seems darn near identical but with slightly tweaked uses of the data channel and configuration / routing freedom.

Anything else I may have missed? I am just trying to be very unbiased about this, as I am a lover of all technologies. I'm tired of the people of my local clubs spouting very one-sided information.