• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Minitor v alert tones

Status
Not open for further replies.

nick223

Feed Provider
How do you change the sound of your alert tones. I would like to be able to know when we are getting toned out by dispatch or toned out from our station.

Is it just changing the tone 1,2 numbers? Or adding a group call tone?

I hear some crazy alerting tones. And I'm not talking about just changing the pager alert music to a different music alert.

The tones itself.

Thanks.

SurgePGH

Premium Subscriber
How do you change the sound of your alert tones. I would like to be able to know when we are getting toned out by dispatch or toned out from our station.

I hear some crazy alerting tones. And I'm not talking about just changing the pager alert music to a different music alert.

The tones itself.

Thanks.

There is no way to tell if the tones are coming from the station or coming from dispatch if they are sending the same alert tones. (Which they probably are doing) Regardless of who is sending the tone it will be the same end result. If you change the alert for a set of tones it will alert that way for everyone that sends those tones. If your dispatch sends a different set of tones than the station does then you could go into the software and change the alert style.

nick223

Feed Provider
I want to put another set of tones in to make a different tone set of sounds. It has to be possible a lot of Fd's have it they also have like a whirl purl at the end of the tone.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
If the dispatch and your station send out the exact same tone pair for each page or call, there is no way for the pager to differentiate the source.

However, if dispatch sends out additional tones (like a siren or horn) that your station does not, it is possible to set a different alert tone for that tone pair.

Conversely, if your station sends out a different tone pair than dispatch, then again, it is possible to set a unique alert tone.

nick223

Feed Provider
I just want to program all the pagers and our station with a different tone set. But I didn't know where to look. Does different number tone sets have a different sound

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
I just want to program all the pagers and our station with a different tone set. But I didn't know where to look. Does different number tone sets have a different sound

You first have to know what tone set your encoder at the station is capable of producing. Once you know that, you can pick a new tone pair for use from the station.

KAA951

Premium Subscriber

I think it would be helpful in this discussion if we review how the pager functions. The pager receives a set of tones- usually two tones. The first tone frequency tells the pager to standby and then the second tone sets off the pagers beep and/or vibrate. This can be followed by an alert tone- such as a warble or phaser style tone- that is set up in the pager encoder that is attached to the transmitter at dispatch or your fire station.

For example, our dispatch center simply sets off the Motorola Quick Call dual tones which activate our pagers. We have set up the Zetron encoder in our fire station so that it follows the same quick call tones with a warble so our personnel know it is the station rather than 911 paging.

You might look at which encoder you are using at your station and find a manual for it. It may be as simple as changing the program in that unit to get the result you are looking for.

Last edited:

KD2DLL

Feed Provider

Does different number tone sets have a different sound

I have attached 3 zip folders with examples of some tones. For each recording, I have identified the A and B tone numbers in the name. I included one example of a group tone and the one recording was 2 sets of tones one after another. This should answer the part I highlighted in red.

To answer the blue highlighted part, If you look at the names of each audio file, they have different tone numbers. Each number makes a different sound. Like for example, the one tone set is 1530 for A and 1743 for B. The other set is 1901 for A and 1743 for B. If you listen to both, you will hear that the last tone in both is the exact same pitch because they are the same number.

Hopefully this helps a bit.

Attachments

• Tones 1.zip
    136.8 KB · Views: 473
  • Tones 2.zip
    156.2 KB · Views: 240
  • Tones 3.zip
    94.1 KB · Views: 208
Status
Not open for further replies.