RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial and Professional Radio > Motorola Forum

Motorola Forum For general discussion of Motorola land mobile radio equipment and their trunking technologies.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-17-2012, 7:50 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Default Minitor v alert tones

How do you change the sound of your alert tones. I would like to be able to know when we are getting toned out by dispatch or toned out from our station.

Is it just changing the tone 1,2 numbers? Or adding a group call tone?

I hear some crazy alerting tones. And I'm not talking about just changing the pager alert music to a different music alert.

The tones itself.

Thanks.
Sponsored links
Old 11-17-2012, 8:13 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick223 View Post
How do you change the sound of your alert tones. I would like to be able to know when we are getting toned out by dispatch or toned out from our station.

I hear some crazy alerting tones. And I'm not talking about just changing the pager alert music to a different music alert.

The tones itself.

Thanks.
There is no way to tell if the tones are coming from the station or coming from dispatch if they are sending the same alert tones. (Which they probably are doing) Regardless of who is sending the tone it will be the same end result. If you change the alert for a set of tones it will alert that way for everyone that sends those tones. If your dispatch sends a different set of tones than the station does then you could go into the software and change the alert style.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:59 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I want to put another set of tones in to make a different tone set of sounds. It has to be possible a lot of Fd's have it they also have like a whirl purl at the end of the tone.
Old 11-17-2012, 3:10 PM

If the dispatch and your station send out the exact same tone pair for each page or call, there is no way for the pager to differentiate the source.

However, if dispatch sends out additional tones (like a siren or horn) that your station does not, it is possible to set a different alert tone for that tone pair.

Conversely, if your station sends out a different tone pair than dispatch, then again, it is possible to set a unique alert tone.
Old 11-17-2012, 3:39 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I just want to program all the pagers and our station with a different tone set. But I didn't know where to look. Does different number tone sets have a different sound
Sponsored links
Old 11-17-2012, 3:43 PM

Quote:
I just want to program all the pagers and our station with a different tone set. But I didn't know where to look. Does different number tone sets have a different sound
You first have to know what tone set your encoder at the station is capable of producing. Once you know that, you can pick a new tone pair for use from the station.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:34 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
I think it would be helpful in this discussion if we review how the pager functions. The pager receives a set of tones- usually two tones. The first tone frequency tells the pager to standby and then the second tone sets off the pagers beep and/or vibrate. This can be followed by an alert tone- such as a warble or phaser style tone- that is set up in the pager encoder that is attached to the transmitter at dispatch or your fire station.

For example, our dispatch center simply sets off the Motorola Quick Call dual tones which activate our pagers. We have set up the Zetron encoder in our fire station so that it follows the same quick call tones with a warble so our personnel know it is the station rather than 911 paging.

You might look at which encoder you are using at your station and find a manual for it. It may be as simple as changing the program in that unit to get the result you are looking for.

Last edited by KAA951; 11-17-2012 at 10:41 PM..
Old 11-18-2012, 1:07 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Quote:
Does different number tone sets have a different sound
I have attached 3 zip folders with examples of some tones. For each recording, I have identified the A and B tone numbers in the name. I included one example of a group tone and the one recording was 2 sets of tones one after another. This should answer the part I highlighted in red.

To answer the blue highlighted part, If you look at the names of each audio file, they have different tone numbers. Each number makes a different sound. Like for example, the one tone set is 1530 for A and 1743 for B. The other set is 1901 for A and 1743 for B. If you listen to both, you will hear that the last tone in both is the exact same pitch because they are the same number.

Hopefully this helps a bit.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Tones 1.zip (136.8 KB, 176 views)
File Type: zip Tones 2.zip (156.2 KB, 89 views)
File Type: zip Tones 3.zip (94.1 KB, 74 views)