• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Want to buy a Fire/EMS Pager

Status
Not open for further replies.

twintip720

Premium Subscriber
I'm looking at buying a fire/ems pager but have no experience with them, only scanners. Is the Minitor V the best? Where should I buy it? Is it hard to program? All the help would be appreciated.

dispatcher812

Premium Subscriber
I'm looking at buying a fire/ems pager but have no experience with them, only scanners. Is the Minitor V the best? Where should I buy it? Is it hard to program? All the help would be appreciated.

Back when we used to use those type of pagers we had to send them to our dispatch center to have them programmed. It has been 10 years since I have worn that kind of fire pager so things may have changed.

Do you belong to a fire departemt? If not why do you want one? You may be able to purchase one but getting programmed may be hard if not affilitated with anyone. You may not find any one who can if no one in your area uses that kind of paging.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Back when we used to use those type of pagers we had to send them to our dispatch center to have them programmed. It has been 10 years since I have worn that kind of fire pager so things may have changed.

Do you belong to a fire departemt? If not why do you want one? You may be able to purchase one but getting programmed may be hard if not affilitated with anyone. You may not find any one who can if no one in your area uses that kind of paging.

I find that hard to believe if anyone won't program it for him if he's not affiliated with any dept. it's just a receiver, and any authorized Motorola dealer can program it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dispatcher812

Premium Subscriber
I find that hard to believe if anyone won't program it for him if he's not affiliated with any dept. it's just a receiver, and any authorized Motorola dealer can program it.

I didn't say he couldn't. He may very well find someone to do it but I still question why he wants a pager when a scanner will do. Once those type of pagers open on a tone it becomes a scanner of sorts on that paging frequency. He then has to go to a scanner to listen to the rest if who ever he wants to listen to has multiple frequencies.

Michael-SATX

G & G Communications Inc.

Hey twintip720, try lQQking at this link: G & G Communications
If you check their site they sell completely programmed pagers as well as refurbish them :)

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
its no big deal
I bought a Minitor V pager when they came out and no I'm not with the FD.
I bought the programming cradle, cables myself and the software to program the Minitor V, which software is free by the way on the moto site
I used a scanner got the tone outs and loaded the thing to tone out on any FD and EMS within 10 miles
Best feature stored voice! I never turned off my pager and left it on 24/7 so it recorded every call I never missed anything, if I went around town it was in my pocket set to vibrate only and it would record the call so I could listen later I could later turn it on to music alerts when a call is dspatched the same thing a FF would hear. Theres many different programmable music alerts you can set to different departments
The pager fits good in a pocket and controls are very easy to operate
The li-ion battery will last all day

Last edited:

dispatcher812

Premium Subscriber
its no big deal
I bought a Minitor V pager when they came out and no I'm not with the FD.
I bought the programming cradle, cables myself and the software to program the Minitor V, which software is free by the way on the moto site
I used a scanner got the tone outs and loaded the thing to tone out on any FD and EMS within 10 miles
Best feature stored voice! I never turned off my pager and left it on 24/7 so it recorded every call I never missed anything, if I went around town it was in my pocket set to vibrate only and it would record the call so I could listen later I could later turn it on to music alerts when a call is dspatched the same thing a FF would hear. Theres many different programmable music alerts you can set to different departments
The pager fits good in a pocket and controls are very easy to operate
The li-ion battery will last all day

Ok but you can do that with a good scanner and a computer. I still don't see why a person not with a fire department or EMS agency needs a PAGER. I can see, and not saying the original poster is or will do this, but I can see someone who can not get on with their local department using a pager to try to be a hero. Things are hard enough as it is now in fire and ems with out someone trying to get to the call before the fire department to try to do something. Yes, tone out can be done with the right scanner so what is the difference you ask? Well I can see someone who wants to here their local department form home, has the tones in their scanner so they can listen to them if something comes in. I don't understand the need or want for a pager by non affiliated people. Unless these new pagers are different, it only records the first 30 seconds, you don't hear anything else that is happening in the call. What good is that?

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Unless these new pagers are different, it only records the first 30 seconds, you don't hear anything else that is happening in the call. What good is that?
why, what else do I need to hear ? I'm not with the FD ! :D

come on now at least this isnt another post asking to program two way radio to police channel
theres plenty of other wannabe whackers to go play pretend FF or medic with a scanner

Last edited:

dispatcher812

Premium Subscriber
coming from the opinion that if your not with the FD you dont need a pager, why, what else do I need to hear ? I'm not with the FD !

come on now at least this isnt another post asking to program two way radio to police channel
theres plenty of other wannabe whackers to go play pretend FF or medic with a scanner

What else to you need to hear? How about the rest of the incident? Why do you only want to listen to the first 30 seconds of a call? All you will hear is the dispatch.

No, I don't think that a non-member should have a pager. But you still have not answer my question, why do YOU want one?? Why do you just want to here the dispatch and nothing else?

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Not sure if you know how pagers work, but you can hear all transmissions after the tone out if you want.

dispatcher812

Premium Subscriber
Not sure if you know how pagers work, but you can hear all transmissions after the tone out if you want.

As I said, things may have changed. But why not get a portable scanner that can do so much more? I am not getting the need for a pager.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Yea some places are crazy different- the agency around here uses a channel dedicated to paging
I dont need to monitor fireground or anything after what I know occurred, I leave that up to heros so they can monitor where they need to go maybe call the Chief on fireground radio channel as an auxiliary FF with their own purchased bunker gear once they arrive scene lol
This is getting too funny, seriously, why does every thread on here turn into this ? the op just wanted to know about a pager :roll:

dispatcher812

Premium Subscriber
Yea some places are crazy different- the agency around here uses a channel dedicated to paging
I dont need to monitor fireground or anything after what I know occurred, I leave that up to heros so they can monitor where they need to go maybe call the Chief on fireground as an auxiliary FF with their own purchased bunker gear once they arrive scene lol
This is getting too funny, seriously, why does every thread on here turn into this ? the op just wanted a pager :roll:

Sorry its getting too funny for you, just trying to understand, that's all. So you only want to know what originally happened? Not the outcome? Sounds a little odd but, hey if that is all you care about then ok.

I don't understand why someone would pay over $350 dollars (new) for a Minitor V when you can get a nice portable scanner that can do SOOOO much for for $120.

lep

My 2 cents worth to this 'discussion.' Where I live the Fire Talk, Fireground, EMS, etc is all on an 800 MHz MOT system. The PAGING of both EMS and FIRE is done on VHF so, yes, the 'pagers' only hear the first few seconds of the alert and then they immediately go to their HT for the actual dispatch info. There is NOTHING on the pager thereafter, only the alert to go to your HT and then it falls silent.

Of all the scanner enthusiasts I know locally only one has a personally owned pager (he is not an EMT nor a fire fighter). He does however work for the county government in a non-emergency role, I suppose he just likes to me informed for conversation the next day at work. No harm, he would never respond to a call.

pete7919

Another alternative is the WatchDog Pager. It's a competitor that matches every feature of the Minitor, is less expensive, and comes with a 5 year warranty. IM me for pricing or a demo.

I can also help with programming.

Pete

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Sorry its getting too funny for you, just trying to understand, that's all. So you only want to know what originally happened? Not the outcome? Sounds a little odd but, hey if that is all you care about then ok.

I don't understand why someone would pay over $350 dollars (new) for a Minitor V when you can get a nice portable scanner that can do SOOOO much for for $120.

What I don't understand why is it so important for you to know why he wants one? The OP asked a question not to be answered "WHY?" He can't do any harm with one so why does it matter why he wants one? Some people on this forum worry tooooo much on what other members are doing and why they are doing it. As long as someone is asking a serious question and what they want to know isn't gonna cause any harm I don't see a problem. Most are so quick to jump the gun and say "just buy a scanner" most scanners are crap these days anyway.

gunmasternd

I agree digital scanners are crap :) $400-500 it should have dual recieve. spelling i agree why argue with someone who wants a pager. maybe he wants to show off to his jr high girlfriend ;)

Pager is a lot smaller then a scanner. Easier to carry around. Battery charge last 2x longer.

Our area talk/talk/dispatch is on the 800 but is Repeated on VHF so the pager hears everything. You can also program your local NOAA and tones for weather alerts.

I pick up a new old stock Minitor V for $150 and amp charger for $60 new.

Wish I bought a programming dock.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.