RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial and Professional Radio > Motorola Forum

Motorola Forum For general discussion of Motorola land mobile radio equipment and their trunking technologies.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-22-2012, 1:28 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Windows 8 Issues

I was wondering if someone could help me I program the radios for our local fire departments and I just invested in a new laptop with windows 8 on it. I installed commercial series CPS R05.16 as an administrator and I have tried running it as an administrator and in compatibility mode. I keep getting the error message unable to open the controller. I also installed professional radio CPS R06.12.05 using the same method and so far it works fine. Any help on this matter would be appreciated.
Thanks
Sponsored links
Old 11-22-2012, 7:39 AM

Are you using a USB cable for the Commercial Series? These suggestions are based on my experiences with a USB cable.

First, make sure you have the latest drivers for the Prolific 2303 chipset. They can be found at prolific.com if you need them. Anything else may cause problems.

Second, make sure the programming cable is plugged in and recognized by the computer before you run the Commercial Series CPS. You may have to go into the device manager and confirm this.

Third, I found with the Commercial Series CPS that you have to set the comm port every time you run it. Just fire it up, go to Edit ---> Preferences and set the Comm Port EVEN if it looks like it is already pointed at the proper one.
Old 11-22-2012, 9:01 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Well I haven't even made it into the program. It gives that message at the launch screen. I do have a USB cable I've been using. Is that error message a driver issue or because the program won't launch is it a compatibility issue?
Thanks for the help
Old 11-27-2012, 10:53 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Well, I went back and re-read your post, then went and downloaded the prolific 2303 chipset and hooked a radio up to it and low and behold it worked.
Thanks a lot.
Old 06-06-2014, 9:59 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Gentlemen, thank you. You saved me a bunch of aggravation. Mine is working now. Give yourself a pat on the back....
Sponsored links
Old 06-07-2014, 3:28 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I read there were some cloned Prolific chips that were showing up in USB to serial adapters. Prolific made a change and the new drivers did not work the the bogus chip set.
Old 06-12-2014, 9:26 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

If you have a cheap chinese USB programming cable off ebay, you need to use an old version of the prolific driver.