• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Tuning a Maxtrac... and Power output issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where can i find out how to Align one of these radios? I recently swaped a Logic board in my 25W UHF Maxtrac from a 40 watt UHF. I attempted to align it by testing the VCO voltage and entering the reference crystal data... As i am very familiar with RSS, I have never experienced the alignment process

The power output on my meter shows up as less than one watt now. Im sure it needs an alignment but...
No mater what i do to the TX power adjustment, it stays same also

Any suggestions

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
Do you have a calibrated service monitor? You won't get far tuning/aligning a radio without one.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I dont have a service monitor.

Without test equipment, what is your expectation on properly aligning your radio? Alignment requires measurements, and then adjustments. Without the ability to measure, you cannot adjust properly.

But in answewr to your original question, you can try getting a manual on eBay or direct from Motorola. There is also information on Repeater Builder, and on Batlabs. Are you familiar with those two web sites?

Why did you swap a logic board from a 40 watt radio into a 25 watt radio? It's not going to turn the 25 watt radio into a 40 watt radio. You'd have to change out the PA assembly for that to work.

Last edited:

cabletech

Also, any time you change out any boards, this is a major under taking and as has been stated, with out the proper service equipment and bench knowledge, you have just toasted a radio.

At this point, the only thing you can do is, A) Throw it away, B) Take it to a dealer and have them bring the radio back to life.

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
B) Take it to a dealer and have them bring the radio back to life.

That's if they're willing to touch them at all (they might). I know we won't unless you're a preexisting customer with a large fleet, and then, only 800 MHz MaxTracs. There might be some other hams close to you who might have plenty of spare parts and the know-how.

I took a 16pin board out of a 40 watt for my 25. and swaped with a friend who has the 40. I wanted the signaling and extra channels.

I figured i needed test equiptment... Thats why I asked, I was unsure of how alignment was to be done.

I will look around for a service book or somthing,

My friend really wanted the 40W and i didnt mind having 25. and of course i thought it would be easy to align it again.

But I never wiped the tuning data from the Logic boards. Just Blanked them and Reprogrammed them each to match the RF Board.

Question:

If I were to re swap boards and program them back to the way it was... Would that solve my problems?

but

I found the procidure for alignment. I am Searching around for a service monitor. I would like to try it

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.