RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial and Professional Radio > Motorola Forum

Motorola Forum For general discussion of Motorola land mobile radio equipment and their trunking technologies.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 9:45 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default motorola question

hey i recently switched my M 1225 s over to narrow band now my audio quality is bad i also have cm 300,s and icom IC-6021 s in my fleet also i have messed around with the the X-Pand and the Companding options on the motorolas with no luck just wondering if i am doing something wrong or if thats just part of the downfalls of narroband?
Sponsored links
Old 12-10-2012, 10:10 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

If your radio is narrowband and others are also narrowband the audio should be pretty much normal. If your radio is narrowband and the others are wideband, your audio may sound distorted to the others and their audio may sound quite low to you. If your radio is wideband and the others are narrowband, their audio may sound low to you and your audio may sound distorted to them. If all are wideband, things should sound fine to all. If all are narrowband, things should sound fine to all. That's just how things are.

Changes should be made so all are switched at once for things to sound normal. Often this is done by programming the radio for both wide and narrow (e.g. 456.0 wide on channel 1 and 456.0 narrow on channel 2) and everyone uses channel 1 prior to the switch and they all use channel 2 after the switch. Later on, all radios can be reprogramed with only the narrow channels so folks don't forget and use the wrong one by mistake.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:20 AM

On the Motorola radio, try turning off all the X-pand, companding, enhance, etc and just try it plain. I've found some of these functions only work well with other Motorola radios and tend to sound like crap on others.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:22 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Pre-emphasis and de-emphasis as well as companding should only be used if all the radios in your fleet support it. If not, leave it off.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:52 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

M1225's suck on narrowband, we had a few to test with and we moved on to CDM1250's.... M1225 not good at all on narrowband no matter what you do to it.
Sponsored links