RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial and Professional Radio > Motorola Forum

Motorola Forum For general discussion of Motorola land mobile radio equipment and their trunking technologies.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 6:51 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default CDM Series QC-II Help

I have searched all over the web for the answer, but have not had any luck so far. My FD is getting new station alerting packages installed, and we still use the quick call style pager tones. Currently our system has four different tones that alert three stations and a Chief officer (A-B for station 1, A-C for station 2, etc...) When a call is dispatched, a tone is dropped for each station on the call, and all four tones are transmitted for a fire, or major medical call. Because we "stack" tones, we have problems with stations not being alerted properly and having a delayed response.

Without boring you with the details, and how we respond to calls, my question is this. What are the availabe options related to QC-II paging on the CDM series radios? I would need them to decode four different pager tones (A-C, C-A, C-B, and C-D) if that makes since to you... We currently use Kennwood TK-5720's that can do any variation of two tone paging with A through D tones, but I have been told that the CDM cannot do this, only the A-B, A-C, Long C, Long D type programming that won't work for us.

Any help would be great. Thanks.
Sponsored links
Old 12-11-2012, 8:26 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

These are the available tone options:
A-B
A-B/A-C
A-B/C-B
A-B/Long B
A-B/Long C
A-B/A-C/Long C
A-B/Long B/Long C
A-B/A-C/Long B/Long C
A-B/A-D/C-D
A-B/C-D
Maybe you can figure it out somehow with your tones?

Might have the console programmer put in an "all call" tone set... IE unique C-D tone or a long tone. Might be easier?

Last edited by jlamanske; 12-11-2012 at 8:35 PM..
Old 12-11-2012, 11:18 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

If I read your question correctly, I believe you can only decode one set of tones on a given channel. If you set 4 channels, each with its own QC set, and put the radio in scan, chances are you will miss the desired page. Have you looked at a federal signal informer which can be programmed for multiple sets of tones on one frequency?
Old 12-12-2012, 12:09 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

We are going to a custom station alerting package, so I don't think the informer will work for us. Thanks to jlamanske- that's what I needed. It took me a few hours, and I wanted to pull my hair out, but I finally found an arrangement of A-B/A-C/Long B/Long C and A-B/A-D/C-D that would work for us. Now I just have to explain it to our programmers in a mannor that they understand!

Thanks guys.