• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola Spectra Repeater use issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

fullpwr5675

Premium Subscriber
Okay ,I have to be having a serious brain f*rt here but I'm having issues getting my spectras to operate in duplex or repeater use.I am familiar with the RSS,programming,tones and etc.I'm even having the same issue with one of my vhf Astro Spectras that use CPS.And with the same results on all radios I'm convinced its operator error here lol.Problem I'm having is radios will not key up repeater until ptt is released and opens repeater for a second.Tried on multiple repeaters that require tones and csq with same result.If I put radio in "direct" or "talkalround" mode radio transmits beautifully,I guess I should also note that I have no problem listening to the repeater (when others are talking).

evfd1625

How do you know? Do you have someone that can listen a good distance away so as to not be desensed? You won't hear anything locally until you unkey and then you will hear the hang. If you have a local radio it may not hear anything until you unkey due to desense.

fullpwr5675

Premium Subscriber
no on the MDC (disabled on all) as far as me knowing its not working,I take one of my working handhelds set it across the room on same repeater,I call out my callsign and testing on the spectra with no audio/reception on the handheld and no repeater activity ie identifier or tail beep until I unkey the spectra then I hear the repeater activity on both but does not open up the repeater until I release ptt.Very strange

cmdrwill

Simple, the Spectra transmitter is wiping out the poor little RF frontend in the Scanner.

"wiping out" I should have said destroying.

fullpwr5675

Premium Subscriber
so why can't anybody hear me when I try to join conversations? and why do I hear my self very clearly on the handheld in simplex? My antenna for the spectra is located up on the roof (and not in my living room)I do realize some rf leaks from the radio itself,but I don't think the handheld is being wiped at all,considering I can talk to it very clearly and others (other people) in simplex at the same power level

evfd1625

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Android 4.0.4; Linux; Opera Mobi/ADR-1212030829) Presto/2.11.355 Version/12.10)

Put your other radio on the repeater input and listen.

jim202

Are you using a duplexer between the 2 radios and the antenna your trying to use? You didn't mention if you even had a duplexer in the repeater system.

What power level is the 2 radios your trying to use in the repeater system?

Most repeater systems are set up with one radio used as a receiver and the other radio used as the repeater transmitter. You need to make sure the transmitter doesn't desense the receiver. It takes between 70 and 100 db of isolation between the 2 radios to make a repeater play correctly.

Make sure your using double shielded coax for all cables. The use of a small supper flex "Heliax" type coax works wonders. DO NOT USE SINGLE SHIELDED COAX CABLE FOR ANY OF THE JUMPERS in your system. I would also stay away from using any LMR type coax any place in your repeater system. This includes the coax going to the antenna. This stuff will generate all sorts of noise problems given enough time and moisture.

If you provide some more details on your repeater system, then you might get some help on here.

Jim

fullpwr5675

Premium Subscriber
yeah I hear good transmission and audio from my spectra on the input frequency via the handheld,this is bizarre! thought maybe it was a repeater issue so I tried on 3 different repeaters in reach of me (one of which does not need any tones).Walkie raises repeater just fine.This is really scrambling my marbles now that I've verified carrier and audio while transmitting on the input freq with the spectra!There has to be something being transmitted within the carrier on the input that the repeaters don't like.I have all signaling disabled,gonna have to look at these codeplugs again there must be something I'm missing

fullpwr5675

Premium Subscriber
to jim202,I don't have a repeater system,I'm having trouble accessing repeaters with my motorola spectra mobile units

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
Is this a new problem or something that's just started? Perhaps you changed something inadvertently in the RSS?

fullpwr5675

Premium Subscriber
well I don't get on the air to much and mainly use my radios as scanners for business and hobby.I don't care to much for scanners and as widely/cheaply available alot of these old commercial radios are and the excelent receive/sensitivity of them,thats my primary use.I recently decided to load them up with local repeater freq for times that I do want to get on the air.When I initially programmed them I only tested by calling out my call sign with no response required,when I heard the repeater either beep back or identify itself after I unkeyed,I thought I was good.I only found out last night (weeks later) when I tried to talk to people on the repeater that nothing was getting through.So they apparently have never worked,I just find it really strange that it opens the repeater for a second on unkey

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Simple, the Spectra transmitter is wiping out the poor little RF frontend in the Scanner.

"wiping out" I should have said destroying.

Again, the strong transmit levels from your Spectra are preventing you from receiving a weaker signal back from the repeater. Move the handheld further from the antenna, like next door or down the block.

Simplex works fine cuz tx and rx are on the same freq.
VIA TAPATALK

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
Again, the strong transmit levels from your Spectra are preventing you from receiving a weaker signal back from the repeater. Move the handheld further from the antenna, like next door or down the block.

Simplex works fine cuz tx and rx are on the same freq.
VIA TAPATALK

+1also.

fullpwr5675

Premium Subscriber
I understand what your saying now,once you put it in perspective,I must be having an even bigger brain f*rt than originally thought.I guess I need to rephrase "I don't care for scanners" to I don't care for the way scanners are built today.They do not last long in our trucks between the harsh enviremont and heavy use,they don't last long for us.Nothing against them (you can see I have a few)

Status
Not open for further replies.