RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial and Professional Radio > Motorola Forum

Motorola Forum For general discussion of Motorola land mobile radio equipment and their trunking technologies.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 11:25 AM

Question GM300 not RX'ing/Filtering PL properly.. need help..

I have a used GM300 radio for GMRS (I have license).. and the programmer set it for PL tones of 127.3 for 462.625, and 141.3 for the 462.550 channels..

However my other GP350 NON-PL setup radio is able to transmit clearly to the GM300.. it seems like the PL is not working on RX at all..

I can't test the TX PL side as I'd have to flip my (below noted KW 805D around)..

Testing the GP350 with non-PL against my working/good KW 805D with PL setting I get nothing but an indicator/busy picture but no audio thru it, till I take the SQ off then I get the audio.. which is proper..

What could he have missed (if anything) in programming?? He said something about maybe prior signalling settings (that he did not check)??
Sponsored links
Old 12-27-2012, 1:47 PM

Not terribly familiar with that exact model, but a lot of the older Motorola mobiles are set to defeat the PL when they are off the mic clip. Your radio may be programmed this way. If you have no way of reprogramming yourself, try hooking it up to a grounded (metal) Mic clip and see if the problem goes away.

Last edited by uniden278; 12-27-2012 at 1:48 PM.. Reason: spelling and grammar
Old 12-27-2012, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniden278 View Post
Not terribly familiar with that exact model, but a lot of the older Motorola mobiles are set to defeat the PL when they are off the mic clip. Your radio may be programmed this way. If you have no way of reprogramming yourself, try hooking it up to a grounded (metal) Mic clip and see if the problem goes away.
That's pretty much correct, except the mic clip doesn't need to be grounded. However, the mic does need to be in the clip. The metal of the clip closes the circuit between the inner and outer sections of the mic hang up pin assembly and places the radio in an "on hook" condition. That enables Rx PL.

If working on the radio on the bench, either slide a spare mic clip onto the mic. I've been known to slip a small screwdriver blade in there if there's no mic clip nearby.
Old 12-28-2012, 7:54 AM

I didn't think about the Mic issue till you folks mentioned it.. The BLabs mentioned the Monitor Yellow Light.. yup was lit up..

I tried the original Mic that came with it on a clip.. still failed.. then tried a new cheapy china Mic with the same Mic clip.. success.. thanks to ALL..

Saved me a huge headache..

Is there a way to make a 8 pin terminal jumper to just plug in the front to do the same?? and which connection #'s?? This is for my cheapy repeater project..
Old 12-28-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ywhic View Post
I didn't think about the Mic issue till you folks mentioned it.. The BLabs mentioned the Monitor Yellow Light.. yup was lit up..

I tried the original Mic that came with it on a clip.. still failed.. then tried a new cheapy china Mic with the same Mic clip.. success.. thanks to ALL..

Saved me a huge headache..

Is there a way to make a 8 pin terminal jumper to just plug in the front to do the same?? and which connection #'s?? This is for my cheapy repeater project..
I have some jumpers all made up here if you want one, send me a PM.
Sponsored links

Old 12-28-2012, 10:42 AM

PM sent.. thank you..

And I am guessing the TX side of the transmitting radio is handled by the radio itself and not Mic on hook dependent.. (its an SM50)..
Old 12-28-2012, 8:24 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

[QUOTE=ywhic;1881049]Is there a way to make a 8 pin terminal jumper to just plug in the front to do the same?? and which connection #'s?? This is for my cheapy repeater project..[/QUOTE}

If you can snag a jump plug, great. If not and you have a RJ-45 plug and a crimp tool, put a jumper loop between pins 3 and 4 (counting up from the bottom of the mic jack).

Transmit will always spit out PL regardless of mic hook.

Last edited by ramal121; 12-28-2012 at 8:26 PM..
Old 12-28-2012, 9:11 PM

I use a small paper clip to ground the mic on my mobiles. Easy to bend around and out of the way.