RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial and Professional Radio > Motorola Forum

Motorola Forum For general discussion of Motorola land mobile radio equipment and their trunking technologies.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 11:00 PM

Default MCS 2000 Question

Hello,
Its been a while, I haven't posted on here lol. Anyway, I just purchased a Motorola MCS 2000 VHF remote mount 110w radio. I was wondering if this radio was like the Spectra and NEEDS an Ignition Sense cable for it to power on, transmit, etc.? I've been reading some conflicting articles, some saying it will work without the ignition sense others saying that it won't. So, will the MCS 2000 work without the ignition sense cable?
Thanks.
Sponsored links
Old 04-03-2013, 8:21 AM

I have a trunk mount 100 watt UHF MCS2000, & I do not use ign sense.
Old 04-03-2013, 9:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFC301 View Post
Hello,
Its been a while, I haven't posted on here lol. Anyway, I just purchased a Motorola MCS 2000 VHF remote mount 110w radio. I was wondering if this radio was like the Spectra and NEEDS an Ignition Sense cable for it to power on, transmit, etc.? I've been reading some conflicting articles, some saying it will work without the ignition sense others saying that it won't. So, will the MCS 2000 work without the ignition sense cable?
Thanks.
There is some info on the MCS2000 family over on batlabs.com and a little bit on repeater-builder.com.

The install and service manuals for these are almost certainly available online somewhere, too.
Old 04-03-2013, 9:23 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.5; en-us; ZTE-N910 Build/GRJ90) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

The ignition sense is programmable. If you dont want to use it you dont have to. However, if the previous owner has it enabled, you will need to connect it in order to power the radio for programming. Once you disable it in the CPS you wont need it
Old 04-03-2013, 3:19 PM

If you would like the ablity to use the radio without the key on, then disable the capablity.

If you would rather have the key on then enable it

Bottom line, it is up to you.
Sponsored links
Old 04-07-2013, 9:03 PM

Ok. The radio came in and is working! Thank you for the responses!
Old 04-07-2013, 9:34 PM

One question, since we're on the topic. If I have my radio programmed to not need an ign sense cable, & I turn the radio off, is there still a small draw on the battery. I heard a rumor there was, but if I program the radio to use ign sense, & wire it correctly, when the radio is turned off & the key is off, there is no draw. Can someone confirm this?
Old 04-08-2013, 1:41 PM

Your VOM will tell you that...
Old 04-08-2013, 3:36 PM

But I haven't installed the radio yet, & I don't plan to until I know the answer. This way when I buy the acc connecter, I'll know whether to use the one I have w/o the ign sense lead, or do I buy the one with the lead. So if someone knows the answer, I'd like to know before I drive 30 miles to my storage warehouse to dig out the radio, & drive back another 30 miles.