RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial and Professional Radio > Motorola Forum

Motorola Forum For general discussion of Motorola land mobile radio equipment and their trunking technologies.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-30-2013, 4:59 PM

Default Adding 2nd freq. to Minitor V

I have searched this topic and found a few threads on it, but I just want to be 100% sure before I get into it. We have a guy with our department and he also volunteers at the dept. in the town where he works. He travels back and forth during the day between the two districts and does not want to carry two pagers. His other department gave him a Minitor V with SV and it only has one frequency in it along with that department's tones along with their central department's tone. I have the Minitor V programming software that I downloaded off of the Moto website along with the programming cradle. My question is does the software have to be in engineer mode to add a second frequency? Thanks for answering my questions during the past week.
Sponsored links
Old 06-30-2013, 7:17 PM

Default Adding 2nd freq. to Minitor V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cow View Post
I have searched this topic and found a few threads on it, but I just want to be 100% sure before I get into it. We have a guy with our department and he also volunteers at the dept. in the town where he works. He travels back and forth during the day between the two districts and does not want to carry two pagers. His other department gave him a Minitor V with SV and it only has one frequency in it along with that department's tones along with their central department's tone. I have the Minitor V programming software that I downloaded off of the Moto website along with the programming cradle. My question is does the software have to be in engineer mode to add a second frequency? Thanks for answering my questions during the past week.
It depends on the exact model of the pager. He may already be carrying a two channel pager. The only way to be sure is to have the model number. Since you have the PPS and cradle, just read the radio. The general info tab will tell you what you need to know.

If it is a one channel model, you will need engineer mode to convert it. That's not for the inexperienced to do the first time.
Old 06-30-2013, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC0625 View Post
It depends on the exact model of the pager. He may already be carrying a two channel pager. The only way to be sure is to have the model number. Since you have the PPS and cradle, just read the radio. The general info tab will tell you what you need to know.

If it is a one channel model, you will need engineer mode to convert it. That's not for the inexperienced to do the first time.

I didn't think about that, but the guy who works for Motorola told him that it could not be done...that's when I told our guy that when I get the programming stuff that I could do it, then I remembered that you had to go in engineer mode to do it and I don't know the password... I tried the hack, but I don't know if works because I haven't got my programming stuff yet. I doubt anyone is going to give out the password though...
Old 06-30-2013, 7:49 PM

Minitor V Engineer Mode

Everything you need to know is in that PDF.
Old 06-30-2013, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chauffeur6 View Post
Minitor V Engineer Mode

I did all that, but I couldn't get the new file to save, so I don't know if it's gonna work... I'll find out tomorrow when my programming cradle comes in...
Sponsored links

Old 06-30-2013, 7:56 PM

Well, you've got to get the software working before you worry about the programming cradle. Either the hex edit of the PPS worked and you can get into Engineering Mode, or you can't. The programming cradle has no bearing on that.
Old 06-30-2013, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Well, you've got to get the software working before you worry about the programming cradle. Either the hex edit of the PPS worked and you can get into Engineering Mode, or you can't. The programming cradle has no bearing on that.
I thought that I had to read the codeplug first before I could find out anything...?
Old 06-30-2013, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cow View Post
I didn't think about that, but the guy who works for Motorola told him that it could not be done...that's when I told our guy that when I get the programming stuff that I could do it, then I remembered that you had to go in engineer mode to do it and I don't know the password... I tried the hack, but I don't know if works because I haven't got my programming stuff yet. I doubt anyone is going to give out the password though...
The hack instructions include the password and some info about how to use engineering mode. If you don't have the password and/or the instructions, then whatever you have there is suspect.

Just wait for the pager and your cradle. Read it first and determine if you even need to go further.
Old 06-30-2013, 9:23 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

If it is indeed a single frequency pager, if it is sent in for service, it will come back as a single channel pager. This of course voids ANY warranty the pager may have, and if it is under service contract, jeopardizes the employee's employment if the employer were to find out that unauthorized changes were made to their property without permission.
Sponsored links
Old 06-30-2013, 9:42 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by com501 View Post
If it is indeed a single frequency pager, if it is sent in for service, it will come back as a single channel pager. This of course voids ANY warranty the pager may have, and if it is under service contract, jeopardizes the employee's employment if the employer were to find out that unauthorized changes were made to their property without permission.
His chief said that it was okay to make the change, so we've got the green light.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:49 PM

Two things...... First, you have to have a code plug opened before you can make the change from 1 channel to 2 channels. So you do have to wait until you get the programmer. Second, if you send it to the Depot for repair, it will come back with the original serial number and the correct model number. It does not void the warranty and they make the change. I have done this before and sent pagers back that fire companies have done and it has never been questioned or the warranty voided.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:00 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Minitor V Engineer Mode

Yup, I second that, I just made my single channel into a dual channel following the instructions there, took me all of about 20 minutes.

Jim