• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Can someone identify these two models?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
Oops, too late to edit. I meant the 5550 is the upgraded 4550, with the full display.

SCPD

QRT
Depends what one thinks expensive is. It's digital so it will cost more that the average amateur grade analog monobander.

$800-1200? I payed roughly $600 for my xts2500i. I would expect the trbo to be just as expensive as the p25 radios from Motorola. But the catch is trbo radios are not mil-spec or L/E approved right?

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
Brand new, the TRBO radios are cheaper than P25 models. However generally, yes the TRBO line is of a lower tier.

firefive76

I just got a price in the very low $600s for a XPR5550 40 watt UHF from a local Motorola dealer last week.

rescuecomm

$800-1200? I payed roughly $600 for my xts2500i. I would expect the trbo to be just as expensive as the p25 radios from Motorola. But the catch is trbo radios are not mil-spec or L/E approved right?

New in the box?? I thought they were over $2200.00 depending on options.

Bob

N4KVE

The above pictured radios have only been on the market barely a year, & it's rare to see any used ones. The 2500's have been around for many years, & are available on the surplus market from many sources. Alt radios from China included. No comparison. However, the previous Trbo models, XPR4550, & 6550, which are still sold new, are available on the used market for $300, & they are not ALT radios, & come with tags.

Last edited:

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
I bought an APX6000 from a major Moto dealership and it cost me in excess of 2500 dollars but I spent the money. And thus I MIGHT have been the first private citizen to buy a new VHF APX6000.

Yes it was expensive, but I've paid more for a guitar. I've sold guitars for more than that. I have stereo equipment that retailed for a LOT more.

The quality and performance of the APX6K soon convinced me that it really IS worth its cost. That's a FINE radio.

APX7500X2

New in the box?? I thought they were over $2200.00 depending on options.

Bob

Just got 2 of the 5550 Mobiles $785 each brand new in the box from a Motorola dealer, with the heavy duty mike also

Great analog radio for the price and 1000 channels

Status
Not open for further replies.