• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTS3000 issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparks40

Premium Subscriber
I just picked up an XT3000 to program for ham use. The issue is that no matter what com port I use, it will not read from the radio. The previous owner was using Windows XP, service pack 2. I'm running Windows 8. Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is my first experience with programming Motorola gear, so please try to put any replies in layman's terms. Thanks.

* removed direct link to p25.ca software download - MikeOxlong *

Last edited by a moderator:

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Wow, I don't think I've ever heard of anybody trying to run it under Windows 8. I don't even think it will run under Windows 7.

Check the Readme file for the supported OS's. Probably doesn't go above Windows XP SP3.

jcato16

this is from the readme;

System Requirements:
--------------------
Operating Systems:
Windows NT 4.0 (SP 6a or higher),
Windows 2000
Windows XP Home Edition (See Note)
Windows XP Professional (See Note)
Vista (32-bit) Home Premium (SP 1 or higher)
Vista (32-bit) Business (SP 1 or higher)
Note: XP upgrade or Vista upgrade from other operating
systems is not supported if the CPS was previously
installed on the old operating system.
Windows ME and Windows 98 are no longer supported.
You may choose to proceed with the installation, but
some features might not be functioning properly.
Upgrading the operating system is highly recommended.

cabletech

Just FYI, had a conversation today with Moto about several programs and at that time they told me that no version of any programs are available at this time for WIN 8.

There are a few that will run in Win 7, but they are also advising that everyone use XP as prime and Vista.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Nevermind this post, was thinking astro saber.

Astro Saber uses the same CPS as the xts3000.

To the OP you will need a XP machine, the cps will not run on windows 7 or 8 that is why you are having a issue with reading and writing.

CommJunkie

Not entirely true. I run XTS3000 CPS on Win 7 Ultimate with the compatibility set for XP SP3. Windows 8, though, is probably completely out of the question.

OP - have you verified what COM port the device manager assigned? Are you 100% sure the drivers for your cable are installed? And, are you using a 32-bit version of windows? (The drivers for the cables will not work on any 64 bit machine)

DisasterGuy

It is sad they don't have official support for 7 considering that XP has only a few months before it is officially out of support and wise network admins will no longer allow it on their networks. This is one of my gripes about "M"'s software practices compared to other manufacturers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DisasterGuy

Because just the fact that they EOL a product doesn't imply that everyone replaces that product. Other vendors continue to provide simple support such as programming for EOL products. For example Harris still offers and updates RPM and even ProGrammer for radios that were EOL 10+ years ago. Motorola on the other hand will not even sell you RSS and CPS for radios after they are EOL. After recently needing to reprogram a M1225 to take it narrowband, Motorola's response was to buy a new radio.

SCPD

QRT
Because just the fact that they EOL a product doesn't imply that everyone replaces that product. Other vendors continue to provide simple support such as programming for EOL products. For example Harris still offers and updates RPM and even ProGrammer for radios that were EOL 10+ years ago. Motorola on the other hand will not even sell you RSS and CPS for radios after they are EOL. After recently needing to reprogram a M1225 to take it narrowband, Motorola's response was to buy a new radio.

100% on the mark. There is no excuse for Moto not even to sell CPS for radio's that are EOL'd. We still have active XTS3000's on the ARMER system in Minnesota but the CPS cannot be purchased from Motorola. It does not take allot of space on their download servers so there ii could be a download only product. I can understand dropping technical support but leave the parts available. They do it to get as much money out of people as they can.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Because just the fact that they EOL a product doesn't imply that everyone replaces that product

So Microsoft shouldn't be dropping support for Windows XP then and there would be no need for Motorola to upgrade their CPS to 7/8?

I see your point and understand your frustration. I've still got several Windows XP machines I keep around for programming radios however I don't expect a company to keep providing updates forever.

sparks40

Premium Subscriber
New issue

I picked up a refurbished laptop with XP and a serial port, and I successfully programmed the radio. I went back into the CPS to add more frequencies, and after writing to the radio, none of the controls work. When I turn the unit on, I get a green LED, a soft beep, and that's it.

I took it in to a local radio place, and they were able to write to it, but no luck on their end with getting the controls to work. PTT, channel selector, zone switch and everything else are dead. The radio won't even receive. Any thoughts?

sparks40

Premium Subscriber
your going to get the same answers here as you did on Facebook, P25.ca and Batlabs

Maybe so, but I didn't think it would hurt anything to try and possibly get some fresh perspective from someone else, or possibly even find someone that may be able to diagnose and fix the issue.

sparks40

Premium Subscriber
I guess since I'm not getting any more responses, nobody knows...Anyone know where i can find a control board for the XTS3000, model 1? Thanks

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
its cheaper to find a used radio than just a board.as it can be a host of probems just not in the vocon

sparks40

Premium Subscriber
its cheaper to find a used radio than just a board.as it can be a host of probems just not in the vocon

The 3000 doesn't have a vocon. They only have a voice coder/decoder (vocoder), controller, rf board, and maybe the optional encryption module. Due to the fact that none of the controls work, i'm thinking it's something with the flex connection. Time to open it up and take a look.

Status
Not open for further replies.