RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial and Professional Radio > Motorola Forum

Motorola Forum For general discussion of Motorola land mobile radio equipment and their trunking technologies.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-20-2013, 8:29 PM

Default XTS3000 issue

I just picked up an XT3000 to program for ham use. The issue is that no matter what com port I use, it will not read from the radio. The previous owner was using Windows XP, service pack 2. I'm running Windows 8. Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is my first experience with programming Motorola gear, so please try to put any replies in layman's terms. Thanks.

* removed direct link to p25.ca software download - MikeOxlong *

Last edited by MikeOxlong; 12-21-2013 at 8:36 AM..
Sponsored links
Old 12-20-2013, 8:39 PM
Global DB Admin/Senior Mod
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Default XTS3000 issue

Wow, I don't think I've ever heard of anybody trying to run it under Windows 8. I don't even think it will run under Windows 7.

Check the Readme file for the supported OS's. Probably doesn't go above Windows XP SP3.

To contact me please use the email function through my profile as I do not accept Private Messages.
Old 12-20-2013, 8:51 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

this is from the readme;

System Requirements:
--------------------
Operating Systems:
Windows NT 4.0 (SP 6a or higher),
Windows 2000
Windows XP Home Edition (See Note)
Windows XP Professional (See Note)
Vista (32-bit) Home Premium (SP 1 or higher)
Vista (32-bit) Business (SP 1 or higher)
Note: XP upgrade or Vista upgrade from other operating
systems is not supported if the CPS was previously
installed on the old operating system.
Windows ME and Windows 98 are no longer supported.
You may choose to proceed with the installation, but
some features might not be functioning properly.
Upgrading the operating system is highly recommended.
Old 12-20-2013, 8:54 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Nevermind this post, was thinking astro saber.
Old 12-20-2013, 9:00 PM

Just FYI, had a conversation today with Moto about several programs and at that time they told me that no version of any programs are available at this time for WIN 8.

There are a few that will run in Win 7, but they are also advising that everyone use XP as prime and Vista.
Sponsored links
Old 12-20-2013, 9:00 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcato16 View Post
Nevermind this post, was thinking astro saber.
Astro Saber uses the same CPS as the xts3000.

To the OP you will need a XP machine, the cps will not run on windows 7 or 8 that is why you are having a issue with reading and writing.
Old 12-21-2013, 7:31 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Not entirely true. I run XTS3000 CPS on Win 7 Ultimate with the compatibility set for XP SP3. Windows 8, though, is probably completely out of the question.

OP - have you verified what COM port the device manager assigned? Are you 100% sure the drivers for your cable are installed? And, are you using a 32-bit version of windows? (The drivers for the cables will not work on any 64 bit machine)
Old 12-23-2013, 11:00 AM

You'll also need a RIB box for the XTS 3000.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:32 PM

Default XTS3000 issue

It is sad they don't have official support for 7 considering that XP has only a few months before it is officially out of support and wise network admins will no longer allow it on their networks. This is one of my gripes about "M"'s software practices compared to other manufacturers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored links
Old 12-24-2013, 1:42 PM
Database Admin

Default XTS3000 issue

Why would they support updates to a radio that they've already eol'd?

To contact me please use the email function through my profile as I do not accept Private Messages.
Old 12-24-2013, 1:47 PM

Default XTS3000 issue

Because just the fact that they EOL a product doesn't imply that everyone replaces that product. Other vendors continue to provide simple support such as programming for EOL products. For example Harris still offers and updates RPM and even ProGrammer for radios that were EOL 10+ years ago. Motorola on the other hand will not even sell you RSS and CPS for radios after they are EOL. After recently needing to reprogram a M1225 to take it narrowband, Motorola's response was to buy a new radio.

Old 12-24-2013, 2:13 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisasterGuy View Post
Because just the fact that they EOL a product doesn't imply that everyone replaces that product. Other vendors continue to provide simple support such as programming for EOL products. For example Harris still offers and updates RPM and even ProGrammer for radios that were EOL 10+ years ago. Motorola on the other hand will not even sell you RSS and CPS for radios after they are EOL. After recently needing to reprogram a M1225 to take it narrowband, Motorola's response was to buy a new radio.

100% on the mark. There is no excuse for Moto not even to sell CPS for radio's that are EOL'd. We still have active XTS3000's on the ARMER system in Minnesota but the CPS cannot be purchased from Motorola. It does not take allot of space on their download servers so there ii could be a download only product. I can understand dropping technical support but leave the parts available. They do it to get as much money out of people as they can.
Old 12-24-2013, 3:50 PM
Database Admin

Default XTS3000 issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisasterGuy View Post
Because just the fact that they EOL a product doesn't imply that everyone replaces that product

So Microsoft shouldn't be dropping support for Windows XP then and there would be no need for Motorola to upgrade their CPS to 7/8?

I see your point and understand your frustration. I've still got several Windows XP machines I keep around for programming radios however I don't expect a company to keep providing updates forever.

Old 01-06-2014, 1:10 AM

Default New issue

I picked up a refurbished laptop with XP and a serial port, and I successfully programmed the radio. I went back into the CPS to add more frequencies, and after writing to the radio, none of the controls work. When I turn the unit on, I get a green LED, a soft beep, and that's it.

I took it in to a local radio place, and they were able to write to it, but no luck on their end with getting the controls to work. PTT, channel selector, zone switch and everything else are dead. The radio won't even receive. Any thoughts?
Old 01-06-2014, 9:16 AM

your going to get the same answers here as you did on Facebook, P25.ca and Batlabs
Sponsored links
Old 01-06-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFPM571 View Post
your going to get the same answers here as you did on Facebook, P25.ca and Batlabs
Maybe so, but I didn't think it would hurt anything to try and possibly get some fresh perspective from someone else, or possibly even find someone that may be able to diagnose and fix the issue.
Old 01-08-2014, 3:50 PM

I guess since I'm not getting any more responses, nobody knows...Anyone know where i can find a control board for the XTS3000, model 1? Thanks
Old 01-08-2014, 4:10 PM
Database Admin

Default XTS3000 issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks40 View Post
I guess since I'm not getting any more responses, nobody knows

More than likely they just don't have anything different than what you've been told on the other sites.

Old 01-08-2014, 4:12 PM

its cheaper to find a used radio than just a board.as it can be a host of probems just not in the vocon
Old 01-08-2014, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFPM571 View Post
its cheaper to find a used radio than just a board.as it can be a host of probems just not in the vocon

The 3000 doesn't have a vocon. They only have a voice coder/decoder (vocoder), controller, rf board, and maybe the optional encryption module. Due to the fact that none of the controls work, i'm thinking it's something with the flex connection. Time to open it up and take a look.