• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTS Reception

Status
Not open for further replies.

epuckett02

I am sure I am beating a dead horse here but I do have a question. Between the XTS2500, XTS3000 and XTS5000 (All VHF) which one would have better Rx in a rural area? Thanks

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
I would say that all 3 would be pretty equal, but of course if just on was out of alignment then itwould be the worst of the bunch. If you do get any of them, I would highly recommend using the broadband helical antenna, even if it is a pain in the armpit.

epuckett02

Thanks for the reply, this would primarily be used for Emergency Services. Which of those would be a better choice? and compared with the HT1250, would an XTS be a better choice?

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
The 3000 is no longer officially supported but the others still are. However, the 5000 has recently been discontinued but will be supported until the end of 2018. The 2500 is still being manufactured but not for long (don't know how long though). Might want to take that into consideration but personally, I prefer the 5000.

FiremanSparky

Thanks for the reply, this would primarily be used for Emergency Services. Which of those would be a better choice? and compared with the HT1250, would an XTS be a better choice?

I don't have any experience with the HT1250. I have always used an XTS of one sort or other. I currently use an XTS-3000 M3 VHF with the last conventional firmware upgrade that I purchased NOS (New, Old Stock) for scanning, no TX. I find that, in urban and rural areas using the broadband antenna (as KS4VT also recommends), you can't beat it for the price. I think it comes down to how much money you want to spend. Keep in mind though that you also have to obtain programming software and cables to program the radio if you don't use a radio shop (more $$'s). As always, if you plan to use it to TX, make sure you have the radio system administrator's approval.

nick1427d

Premium Subscriber
JMO any of the XTSs will be a better choice over an HT1250.

SCPD

QRT
I noticed the 5000 had better audio and rx with repeater distance then a 2500. I prefer a 5000.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
We had HT1250's VHF at my department before we went to APX's I still think my XTS5000 sounds better than both

SCPD

QRT
Agreed. To me the loudness in audio in the 5000 seemed to remind me of the quality of speaker the ht1000 was. Before the 1250 and pr1500 we used ht1000s and I preferred it over the pr1500 and 1250 till the xts5000 came out. The 2500 was from what I understood a smaller most cost effective model but a mini xts5000. But I still preferred the 5000.

gtaman

I prefer the 3000. Even though they are discontinued. It would be easier to replace a 400 dollar radio than a 1000 dollar radio. You also can find 3000s with good flashcodes for relatively cheap.

SCPD

QRT
True if that route was taken I would suggest grabbing extra case or two and hardware for a 3000 so it's on hand if a part needs to be fixed once and while you can find decent pricing on parts and 3000s. If you didn't need modern flash the 3000 can't handle. I would suspect they are alike the 5000 but the predecessor of it. I never used a 3000 but heard good about them and still do on used models.

epuckett02

Thanks for all the replies, I was leaning towards the 5000, this just reinforced that decision, thanks again!

Nasby

Wow Elroy, how did you get that kind of sensitivity?

Did you just get lucky and get a hot unit or did you work some mojo on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.