• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

HT1250 selective calling

Status
Not open for further replies.

spitcher1992

Hello all, my department uses a standard 2 tone sel call system to dispatch for fire and first responder calls. We are a small department with only one man at the station on duty at any given time therefore each captain (a member who works a shift) an each apparatus has a radio with the ability to drop tones in case dispatch is unable to for any reason.

Chief chose me to program all of our radios (except for the base station at dispatch) because I'm very technologically inclined. So the city purchased the software, a computer, and all of the cables for programming.

We have 4 HT1250s for captains 16 HT750s for paid on call members and 7 cdm1250s for apparatus. I personally own 2 HT1250s and a CDM1250 being we had to purchase our own radios before the city would cough up the grant money.

Here's my issue, even though it's minor. When dispatch drops tones, the tones are "smooth" the first tone merges perfectly with the second tone. When we drop tones from either the mobiles, portables, or the captains office, when the first tone ends and the second begins there is almost a "bump" it just sounds so different that the dispatch tones. Also the tones sound completely different, they set off the pagers and make the handhelds alert but they aren't as deep as when dispatch sends them out. Is there a setting I can change to fix this. We have some members who use scanners at night to monitor so they can leave the handhelds inside their gear and the tones sound so much different that some members don't recognize them in a dead sleep like we do when dispatch drops them.

cabletech

The only thing that I can say towards this is, you have to remember that dispatch is using a higher powered radio with an antenna at least 5ft in the air (or higher), and the handheld radios and even the station base radio are using less power and much lower antenna and this will change how signals work between equipment.

Now, if you are using a repeater system, then if the radios are programed correctly, tere should be very little change in the signal.

spitcher1992

We do use a repeater, but we use it for the handhelds only. The area my department covers is about 3 miles long by about a mile wide so the engines and base radios don't really need the repeater unless we go on a mutual aid call. However, i programmed every radio to default to the channel i have designated as the repeater channel when selective calling is being used. I personally programmed every radio other than the board at dispatch and like i said, the radios all alert when either i set off the tones or dispatch does, the tones just sound much different.

I do realize that this is probably a silly problem and we should get over it, but being a "radio geek" i would really like to figure it out even if i cant fix it.

spitcher1992

The inter tone timer option sounds right. But I am not able to find it either. There is almost a break between tones when I set them off. No break and smooth as a baby's butt when dispatch sends them.

spitcher1992

I tell ya what, I've been programming my personal radios for about 2 years now just for fun and to better familiarize myself with cps but I still learn something new about it every day.

RKG

I've not been able to find an "inter-tone time" in the Professional Series CPS. Would you mind pointing me at it?

I don't have my radio programming laptop where I am now, but relying on memory, look at the definition pages for "QC System," where you programming the tone values.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
I don't have my radio programming laptop where I am now, but relying on memory, look at the definition pages for "QC System," where you programming the tone values.
It's not in the Call or Signalling sections on either tab where tones are defined.. It is also not on any of the other tabs associated with Call or Signalling.

There's nothing on any of the tabs for the Personalities or Radio Configuration.

And I don't find any definition that is even close in the Help file.

The only timing setting I can find associated with Quick-Call II is Pretime which sets the time between the press of the mic button and the start of the tone transmission.

Status
Not open for further replies.