• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

"scrambler"

Status
Not open for further replies.

spitcher1992

I was wondering how to make a voice message "scrambled" using ht1250s, ht750s, and cdm1250s.... the police department uses it when talking over the radio about sensitive issues and they sound like aliens..

I program the radios for the department i am on and chief asked me to look into it because sometimes being a first responder department we need to tell dispatch some pretty raunchy stuff that we just dont have time to call them on the phone about.

i have looked through every option on cps and cannot figure this out.

SCPD

QRT
If your agency ever updates to newer radios such as xts series or apx there is a cheap software based secure option user controlled by cps. Known as ADP a cheap digital encryption. Many use this now days in smaller communities.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Transcrypt used to make encryption boards for those series of radios, but they are no longer in business. Being older radios you might have trouble finding current products to do what you want to do. As mentioned above, Motorola has essentially been giving ADP away for free as an incentive for people looking for secure (but not ultra secure) communications. It's a basic encryption package that does one thing very well: Blocks out scanners and online streaming.

spitcher1992

Yes that's exactly what I'm wanting to do. Come to think of it after seeing the other replies, the police department just bought new radios. Went to the storage unit after watching the video and noticed that the old radios do have a switch on them exactly like that. Makes sense why I haven't heard them use the inversion anymore.

While I'm thinking about it, is there a way to program the maxtrac without using DOS? We own Motorola cps software and the cables for CDM/HT 1250 but it would be nice to have some backup radios if I can get them switched down to narrow band.. I've found kits online to do it I just don't know about the software and cables.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
While I'm thinking about it, is there a way to program the maxtrac without using DOS? We own Motorola cps software and the cables for CDM/HT 1250 but it would be nice to have some backup radios if I can get them switched down to narrow band.. I've found kits online to do it I just don't know about the software and cables.
Even if you can you properly and successfully convert the Maxtracs, they are not type accepted for narrowband and won't program to the newer splinter frequencies. Set your sights elsewhere; trying to revive non-compliant wideband radios is not the way to go.

And, no, the RSS for Maxtracs can not be programmed without using DOS. The software needs to run on older, slower PC's running DOS, not windows.

The Professional Series has been in service long enough that used units are available at very reasonable costs. If you want to expand your inventory, you'd spend less money buying a used CDM1250 or HT1250 than you would to upgrade a Maxtrac.

box23

I was wondering how to make a voice message "scrambled" using ht1250s, ht750s, and cdm1250s.... the police department uses it when talking over the radio about sensitive issues and they sound like aliens..

I program the radios for the department i am on and chief asked me to look into it because sometimes being a first responder department we need to tell dispatch some pretty raunchy stuff that we just dont have time to call them on the phone about.

i have looked through every option on cps and cannot figure this out.

For the record as an EMT I have been on calls that pretty much cover the entire spectrum from good to bad. Never once have I felt the need to have some type of privacy on the radio system. Then again I know the limitations and capabilites of the systems I use, use proper radio etiquette, and don't give information that's not needed to be given.

By no means am I saying you don't have a need for some privacy. It's just that when I see and hear comments about fire and EMS radio systems needing to use encyption or some other form of privacy I start cringing. I agree there are some perfectly valid reasons to have access to a secured voice path or two, but the negatives far outweigh any illusion of benefits in most cases.

Now I will say that there have been a couple calls where I did need to hide my communications. But that was from the patient or the family/bystanders. Encryption wouldn't/won't help in those cases. Whether or not the entire world could hear my radio conversation was completely irrelevent.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
For the record as an EMT I have been on calls that pretty much cover the entire spectrum from good to bad. Never once have I felt the need to have some type of privacy on the radio system. Then again I know the limitations and capabilites of the systems I use, use proper radio etiquette, and don't give information that's not needed to be given.

By no means am I saying you don't have a need for some privacy. It's just that when I see and hear comments about fire and EMS radio systems needing to use encyption or some other form of privacy I start cringing. I agree there are some perfectly valid reasons to have access to a secured voice path or two, but the negatives far outweigh any illusion of benefits in most cases.

Now I will say that there have been a couple calls where I did need to hide my communications. But that was from the patient or the family/bystanders. Encryption wouldn't/won't help in those cases. Whether or not the entire world could hear my radio conversation was completely irrelevent.
I've been an EMT since 1973 and served a full career as a dispatcher in a large multi-agency, multi-jurisditional 9-1-1 center. I've served with both volunteer and paid ambulance services. IMHO, your comments are spot on and I would add a couple of things.

On the volunteer side, I have found that having most radio traffic in the clear helps your community know your agency. When it comes to fund drives and other requests for support (not always money) the better people know you and your squad, the more likely they are to step up when asked. Full encryption would be a negative from this point of view. Not necessarily a deal breaker, but it's a piece of the public relations pie.

When there is coverage, cell phones can be a viable alternative to encryption. I live in the Adirondack park where cell coverage is spotty at best. I can use my phone in the southern third of our response area, but the rest has no coverage at all. So cell phones are not a 100% substitute.

And, like you, I have found that hiding voice traffic from bystanders and/or family at a scene is not going to be solved by encryption.

RKG

If your agency ever updates to newer radios such as xts series or apx there is a cheap software based secure option user controlled by cps. Known as ADP a cheap digital encryption. Many use this now days in smaller communities.

ADP only works if you are using a digital channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.