RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial and Professional Radio > Motorola Forum

Motorola Forum For general discussion of Motorola land mobile radio equipment and their trunking technologies.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-24-2014, 8:01 PM

Default motorola ht-750 pigtail adapter ??

Hello all.

I have posted before about an issue I have. I participate in SCCA racing, with my brother being a driver, and I am his radio/spotter guy. I do not hear very well, and my problem is not being able to turn my motorola HT-750 up loud enough on my racing mic/headphone headset for me to hear (nevermind the headset, I do not have it on me to give you the brand/model). I finally came across a double a "AA" battery powered, inline 3.5mm headset amplifier. I tested it on my PC and it works amazingly. I am so close to solving my problem, but there is only 1 little thing standing in my way. My headset has the 2 prong head that plugs into my radio. One prong is the mic, the other prong is the headset speakers.

My question is: Is there a flying-lead, or pigtail adapter that will plug into my HT-750 that I can plug my headset's mic prong into, and install this inline amp on the headset speaker side?

Last resort, if I can find a cheap headset like a police one that has the 2 prong head that plugs into my radio, I will cut off the head, then use a voltmeter and identify the wires, then solder some connectors together to make it all work.
Old 01-26-2014, 5:02 PM

The speaker out put on those radios are NOT referenced to ground. Grounding any of the speaker leads will blow out the audio amp in the radio. So you can not "just hook up an amp".
Old 01-27-2014, 5:54 PM

Hello cmdrwill. I am not quite sure I understand what you mean by the speaker output on the radio being not referenced to ground. I have not heard of this term before. Can you please elaborate?
Old 01-28-2014, 1:45 PM

The audio amplifier in most two way radios uses what is called a bridged amp. Each lead of the speaker is driven by the amp, so basically two amps, one for each side of the speaker.

In professional headsets the speaker/earphones are only connected to the audio output on the radio. Totally independent of any ground.

See "Bridged amplifier" section at Bridged and paralleled amplifiers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 01-28-2014, 9:43 PM

On the post that you made in Nov 2013 about this same subject, I send you a PM and posted that I did.

I am also into racing and handle many radios, headset, helment kits for racers.

Again, check your pms for am earlyer reply.
Sponsored links
Old 01-30-2014, 3:56 PM

He is going to need a professional headset like fire trucks use. The headset will cost more than the radio.
Old 01-30-2014, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrwill View Post
He is going to need a professional headset like fire trucks use. The headset will cost more than the radio.
That not true if you know where to buy one.

Yes, going to David Clark (starts at $275.00) or Racing Electronics or Racing Radios (also starting about $250) is not the place to go.

I sell high quality industral headsets with the correct radio cable PTT on ear cup starting at $195.

My main supplier for these headsets also supply to hundreds of other radio shops and there are hundreds of these used in the racing industry from road course to off road to boat and motorcycle racing.

intiractive Contact me