• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

What does "rugged" really mean? JT1000

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechHead09

Premium Subscriber
I'm in the process of purchasing a JT1000 radio. I'm curious as to what these rugged radios really have to offer in the ruggedness department. I am an amateur radio operator and am purchasing this because my last handheld was stolen about 2 years ago and I decided I finally wanted to get another one. My stolen handheld was a Yaesu FT-270R. It was IP rated, waterproof, submersible, etc. Is the JT1000 waterproof, submersible? Can it withstand rain/downpours, or snow? Could it be accidentally dropped in a puddle of water or mud and still function properly? Does it have any o-ring seals? Thanks for any feedback!

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
It's not waterproof/submersible but will hold up fairly well. I wouldn't drop it in mud though. The brochure says it's weather/shock/vibration resistant per Mil Std 810 C/D/E, for what it's worth. They do have O-ring seals.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
They are built pretty well, and have pretty good sealing, although not sure how good it is around the keypad. I've had HT1000's for years (same frame/body) and they hold up well. I had about 300 of the MTS2000's at work also (again, same frame/body) and we never had any issue with rain/water intrusion. Unless you plan on going scuba diving with the radio, you are probably just fine.

Not sure things like IP ratings were around back when the JT1000 was being built, so it not having an IP rating isn't unexpected. I doubt you'll have an issue, but I wouldn't dunk it in a bucket of water (which I've done with a Yaesu VX-170 without issue). The big issue I'd be concerned about is if the O-rings are still in good shape. Sometimes when the radios are disassembled for repair, the O-ring will get pinched/damaged.

I agree, other than the submersible rating, the JT1000 is going to be more rugged than the amateur gear. If you are really worried about that, look for something like a Saber-R or one of the newer radios.

brndnstffrd

Saber R is out. The batteries are impossible to find.

OEM and aftermarket batteries for the Saber R maybe be, however, there are some people who have been experimenting with replacing the cells in them recently, and the results so far seem very promising.

Also another radio to look into if you really need rugged is an XTS3000R. This is one of the most rugged durable radios made. It is milspec (i forget which ratings) and it is waterproof and submersible. You may not need digital, but the price for them really has become very reasonable lately, although they dont have FPP.

I do agree though, that the JT1000, which is basically the same as the other Jedi series radios, will take pretty much any abuse you can throw at it, except for totally submerging it. (It may even survive that, but id rather not risk one of mine to find out)

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
I would not trust any XTS3000R to be submersible. These days with people changing cases and the fact they have been out for almost 15 years now the ability to be as water resistant and rugged is not guaranteed. I also know people are redoing R batteries. But until its not a one or two at a time by one guy. They are more or less gone the way of the do do bird. I had an astro saber IIR VHF I ended up recasing it because the batteries were upwards $200 when you could find them.

brndnstffrd

Yea i do agree about being hesitant towards an XTS3000R, but i view it the same as anything else, do your homework before you buy it. Dont buy from just any person, buy from a Moto authorized dealer or someone that you trust. Moto dealers/enthusiasts are a pretty tight-knit community so its not too hard to find out peoples reputations when it comes to things like pressure checking the radio after recasing/replacing the gaskets on it, and if they will support their products if they were to fail. Ask the seller you can have them pressure check it in front of you so you can see for yourself that it isnt a compromised case on the radio. Also if that is not possible, im sure that you could find someone to check it for you, or you could take a radio in question to a dealer and they could check it for you. The tools are also still reletively common so you may even find a moto enthusiast in your area that may have them. I wouldnt trust every radio that you see that is an R model, but i would definitely not go so far as to write off the entire line of R radios just because of a few dishonest people. Just make sure that you really do your homework before purchasing.

TechHead09

Premium Subscriber
I think I'm going to proceed with purchaisng the JT1000. It has 2 batteries, a desktop charger, 4 antennas and a speaker mic for $200 and free shipping, and it is in mint condition. I'll post some pictures after I get it. I know I'm going to buy one of the newer radios in the future anyways, I just have to have one! Or maybe even an EF Johnson or one of each! haha Thanks for all the input I learned a lot. The JT1000 seems as good a choice as any to get into commercial grade radio communications equipment.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Any ruggedized radio from any manufacturer is only as good as how well it is maintained. Such radios need to be checked yearly or even more often depending on how hard they are used and how often they are exposed to water, get dropped, exposed to exteme heat, etc. Periodic pressure testing is also needed.

As was mentioned, with so many untrained people swapping housings, you should not trust an "R" rated XTS unless it has been properly serviced by a facility with the proper tools to perform the pressure testing as outlined in the DSM. And so many people put "R" housing on non-R units these days.

If you are going to buy any USED ruggedized radio for public safety duty use, PLEASE have it checked by a qualified shop before placing it into service.

As far as the Jedi series radios, they are what I consider "medium" duty when it comes to water intrusion. The weakest link is the use of a paper cone speaker which is only protected by a piece of felt. Heavy exposure to water will at minimum, degrade the RX audio- full submersion or direct water jet (like from a fire hose) WILL result in water intrusion on these radios.

Status
Not open for further replies.