RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial and Professional Radio > Motorola Forum

Motorola Forum For general discussion of Motorola land mobile radio equipment and their trunking technologies.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2014, 11:45 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZS6HZ View Post
I had a barbeque with the South African Airforce detachment of the UN Monusco force last night, and there was quite a lot of beer and whisky around.

The one plus factor of my hangover is that I got to get a close-up look at the SA attack helicopter, the Rooivalk, and the Oryx support helicopter. The Rooivalk is unbelievable!!! It is a flying uber-hunter, that is so well designed and capable. It was first battle tested here in the Congo recently, and it exceeded all expectations.
It would appear you had an (ahem) blast of a time.

Have passport, will travel
Sponsored links
Old 02-10-2014, 12:07 PM

Well, I found a decent looking cell phone mast site and we managed to get access to it. I sent a guy up to the top of the mast with a portable, and then we sent other guys around town with portables, and the coverage was acceptable.

I'm really annoyed now. The hill site is fantastic... if it were managed properly. If only they insisted on minimum standards of installation, some planning, and a bit of order... but this is the Congo... the guy in charge of the site is making a fortune from backhanders from everyone with a transmitter on site.

Anyway, we'll be transferring the repeater to the cell tower tomorrow morning, then I'm driving back to Rwanda to get my flight on Tuesday evening. Tomorrow night in my own bed... with fresh water that I can drink, reliable electricity, no mosque making a noise at 4:30am, decent shops, good roads.... I miss South Africa when I'm away.

Thanks for the advice everyone. It is much appreciated, and I learned a lot this trip. I'll be back here, I'm sure as the system grows, so this topic might not be dead yet.
Old 02-10-2014, 7:19 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Curious. is the hill the antenna on in the middle of the coverage area, or on one side? If it is off to one side, have you considered aiming the dipoles to all face the area you are covering? That will introduce much gain in that direction and help cover fringe areas.
Old 02-11-2014, 3:49 AM

Default Very baffling Mototrbo DMR problem

There's a picture in this thread showing the layout.
Old 02-11-2014, 4:19 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by 902 View Post
Count me in, too! Really great idea with simplex, btw.
Congo/Rowanda, you sure about that?
Sponsored links
Old 02-11-2014, 7:45 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZS6HZ View Post
It's a folded dipole omni-directional antenna, mounted vertically on a 12m long steel pole. It is mounted about 1.5m from the top of the pole. (a roughly 45 degree angle from top of pole to top of dipole.) I can post a pic... but antennas are difficult to photograph properly...

Cable is unfortunately RG-213, but it is a reasonable quality cable.

Just a thought... could noise be coming in via the mains AC cable?
It is your RG-213 coax. It is not designed for repeater use and has introduced noise into the repeater. That is why no matter what repeater, duplexer, or frequencies you use your problem is still there. Get you some HELIAX® Superflexible Foam Coaxial Cable and your problem will be gone.
Old 02-11-2014, 9:19 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by mancow View Post
Congo/Rowanda, you sure about that?
You ask the tough questions.

We network and have to do what we can to make sure the kids are fed, the mortgage is paid, and the student loans are met. A "career's work" is grinding to a halt here as we've sailed through another manufactured crisis in the radio industry and I'm just not feeling the love buying into the "Long Term Employment" train. Just never know what's next anymore. I have politicians and industries to support.

I will say that in real-life I hate to travel, air travel especially. I hate living out of hotels, tents, hooches, yurts, what have you, and I see guys I know who are at home one day, then on a plane to East Jabip the next, or getting assigned to a project that's beyond commuting distance for months at a time. I don't know how they can do it. In this second half-century of my life, I'd prefer to do my travelling on HF. We all can't have our way.

Thirty years ago, the single, invincible, adventure-loving me would have had a different answer.
Old 02-13-2014, 6:55 AM
Live Audio Admininstrator
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I would love to see what RSSI levels were on the hill site, from RDAC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-27-2014, 2:54 PM

I'm back home in Johannesburg now, and the problem isn't resolved, but we've identified a cellular antenna mast and preliminary tests show that it's a suitable site. I'll be going back there in about a month or two and will report back.

I'll hook up RDAC to the repeater if I get a chance.

As for traveling, I've been doing it for 20 years now, in 23 different African countries and while it's never boring, I think I might have had enough already.
Sponsored links