• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Problem with CPS R06.12.08

Status
Not open for further replies.

medic712

When I attempt to read a radio the cps is telling me "Cannot get port names. Check if there are any ports on the computer." Anyone know what my issue is and how to fix it? Thanks in advance.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Looks like professional series CPS. What type of radio? What type of cable? Does the computer have a serial port or are you using a usb-serial converter. Operating system? Did you attempt to setup a comm port in CPS. Try all of the listed ports available? We need a little more information in order to help you out.

medic712

HT1250, Generic cable (had no issues with using with prior CPS) USB-Serial converter, Win 8 (Attempted on my Win ME machine and the install told me the software needed a newer version of Windows, As far as setting up a com port the initial attempt allowed me to choose between the 4 com ports but after the first attempt it only tells me the error message listed above using both the icon and the File/Read option so I can't even choose between the ports at this point.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
This may sound like a dumb question but is this CPS version compatible with Windows 8? I have the same CPS version and could not get it to work on Win7 64 bit. I believe it gave me similar error messages when I first tried it on 7/64 before I discovered it was not compatible.

Manny

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
This may sound like a dumb question but is this CPS version compatible with Windows 8? I have the same CPS version and could not get it to work on Win7 64 bit. I believe it gave me similar error messages when I first tried it on 7/64 before I discovered it was not compatible.

Manny
R06.12.08 is almost the newest version. People are having mixed results with the Pro Series CPS and others on Win 8 machines. Same for Win 7/64. I think it it may be differences in the various manufacturers' PC's, but there's been nothing reported as a clear fix from other users, yet.

This version should run reliably on Win 7/32. It should also run very reliably on a Virtual XP machine under Win 7 (32 or 64).

If everyone would do some poking around here and on the batboard and on p25, you'll find that this is already a common discussion. There's a current thread on which os is best for this programming and it gives plenty of insight to the problem.

Motorola always seems to be behind the eightball on this whole thing. If you are a serious programmer, you're probably using an XP laptop

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
If you are a serious programmer, you're probably using an XP laptop

Yup! You got it! Panasonic Toughbook CF-52 with a serial port running XP Pro SP3. How did you know? You been to my house? :D...It doesn't go online so I don't worry about viruses, just radio programing software. It's the safest way for me! 3 CDM 1550LS+ and 2 HT 1550XLS portables. Not one single CPS issue yet!

Manny

Last edited:

medic712

Tried it on my Win ME machine and it wont even allow the install...says it requires a newer version on Windows...still no answer on why it wont load com ports on my Win 8 machine...

Status
Not open for further replies.