• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Maratrac

Status
Not open for further replies.

kt8r

I have a question and hopefully someone will have the answer I am seeking.

I have been using a Maratrac for over a year without problem as a transmitter for a repeater.

Are these susceptible to having issues such as a buzzing or carrier if the supply voltage drops below nominal?
Reason is, the repeater is bringing itself up with a carrier that contains audio such as a buzz or wind type noise, then fades like a signal dropped out on the input, then the courtesy tone is heard. I have been unable to catch it doing this while at the shack. Supply voltage drops might be happening but not while I am there. Also, the power supply is a Motorola MSR 2000 and should be more than adequate for this radio. I suspect a drop in voltage as the controller(cat 1000) is keying the radio.

Thanks,
WD8DK

petnrdx

I would not think that an MSR supply would have voltage "sag" unless there is some other problem with it.
Take a voltmeter and key the radio and see how far it drops at the PA and at the controller.
Maybe bad connections somewhere.
If you have been using the Maratrac at high power for a long time, there is a chance that the PA transistors would get pretty hot and possibly partially melt the solder.
Look at the PA transistors and see if the solder looks nice and shiny and "fluid" or if it looks crystalline. Like sparkles.
If it is crystalline, then you could be transmitting spurious signals that would make funny sounds on the repeater input.
Resoldering should fix it.
Try connecting the transmitter into a dummy load to see if the noise goes away.
Could be something external mixing, but look at that PA first.

kt8r

Ok, that was on my list, too. Thanks. However, it randomly brings itself up at times. That is the hard part being there when it does. I will mention this, it made it through some nasty cold weather in the shed this past winter so a cold joint is very possible. Thanks for helping.

Last edited:

trlrdrdave

Yes they will. Seen it a bunch in a mobile if the orange and green wires in the mobile cable was hooked in the fuse box and got a little low.

kt8r

Well, caught the bugger making the noisy carrier while at the repeater shed. Wiggled the receiver card and wiring to controller. Nothing.
Slapped the Maratrac for transmitting, BOOM, it cleared up, so replaced with another programmed unit. No noise, no nothing so far. Thanks again Fellas. 73

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Reason is, the repeater is bringing itself up with a carrier that contains audio such as a buzz or wind type noise, then fades like a signal dropped out on the input, then the courtesy tone is heard.

So the repeater hangs up with a weird noise, then drops with the with a courtesy tone. I'm gonna call a spade a spade and say this sounds like IMD to me. Fault with the duplexer, coax, antenna. Something along those lines. Sure there are reasons to have a noisy transmit from a maratrac and smacking it would cure it. What bugs me is the hang on time before it drops and the courtesy tone beeps. Yea it could be excessive transmitter noise affecting the receiver, but usually I find that symptom originates beyond that. You've swapped out the transmit unit and it's playing OK now. Good luck and see how time reveals the problem...

kt8r

So the repeater hangs up with a weird noise, then drops with the with a courtesy tone. I'm gonna call a spade a spade and say this sounds like IMD to me. Fault with the duplexer, coax, antenna. Something along those lines. Sure there are reasons to have a noisy transmit from a maratrac and smacking it would cure it. What bugs me is the hang on time before it drops and the courtesy tone beeps. Yea it could be excessive transmitter noise affecting the receiver, but usually I find that symptom originates beyond that. You've swapped out the transmit unit and it's playing OK now. Good luck and see how time reveals the problem...

The receiver is the actual MSR card with crystal. The Maratrac replaced the exciter and PA due to issues with the back plane socket and PA. So that is how it is set up. You may be right as the changing stopped the issue.
Thanks.

Elfnetdesigns

Wow that's not FCC narrowband compliant. You should think about changing that Maratrac for a compliant radio for reasons obvious of course.
If your hung up on Maratrac I have a pile of them that are about to meet the crusher at the scrap yard. Let me know if I should keep one aside

Status
Not open for further replies.