RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial and Professional Radio > Motorola Forum

Motorola Forum For general discussion of Motorola land mobile radio equipment and their trunking technologies.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2014, 5:32 PM

Default What is lab and what does it do

I want to preface this question with a statement. i am not looking nor do i want software,

now the question

what is "lab" software that ppl talk about and what does it do?

again. i dont want it.... i cant stress that enough. i just would like to know what it does.
Sponsored links
Old 05-10-2014, 5:52 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The "lab" software basically extends the normal version of the programming/tuning software to allow more specialized operations necessary for the folks that take a totally broken and out-of-tune radio and tweak things so they work properly after being repaired. It allows them to make adjustments manually to compensate for the new components put in as part of the repair process (normally these are automated as part of the assembly line).

It allows for some specialized settings to be made by folks that have specialized training on how to make them (they can make the radio work really well, or really badly based on the skill of the operator). This is why it is designed to only be used in the Motorola repair labs (hence the "lab" name). It is never sold so any copies outside of Motorola are not legal versions of the software. They have leaked out into the while though.
Old 05-10-2014, 5:59 PM

Thats all i wanted to know. Thanks!!
Old 05-10-2014, 11:29 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Motorola Lab or Depot software will also allow you to 'create' a codeplug from scratch for any radio that the particular depot version supports. It will allow you to overwrite the contents of the codeplug entirely, and to do things to a radio that it was never intended to do.

Depot and Lab software in untrained hands is responsible for more worthless paperweight radios and more fraudulently created radios sold on eBay than any other source.
Old 05-11-2014, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by com501 View Post
Motorola Lab or Depot software will also allow you to 'create' a codeplug from scratch for any radio that the particular depot version supports. It will allow you to overwrite the contents of the codeplug entirely
Not always, some so-called lab or depot has missing sections, like making new codeplugs.
Sponsored links
Old 05-11-2014, 8:37 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Every authorized depot copy that has not been hacked, that has the Rainbow Technologies authorization key attached, or other authorization keys as issued by Motorola, or those copies of depot residing on depot machines at the various service centers has the ability to generate a new codeplug with choice of firmware, flashcodes and features as specified by the operator, including a default tuning partition.

If someone has stolen a copy that is in the wild without those features, it was probably lifted from someone who did not have authority for full access.

Caveat Emptor.