• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MCS2000 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Im looking to buy an MCS2000. This seller states that the radio is only capable of having 20 channels. I haven't found anything on the internet that shows 20 channels being the maximum allowed in conventional mode. Can anyone shed light on this? I'm torn between this radio and an MTS2000 portable. I only need it for conventional 800 mhz monitoring.

Motorola MCS2000 III 800MHz 15W Flashport Two Way Radio M01HX 832W | eBay

Manny

fdscan

Thought I would weigh in since you said you may be interested in an MTS2000 portable (maybe).

First of all, I totally back up your choice on the MTS2000. I bought a model I a year or two ago and loved it so much I bought another model III about 6 months after. As everybody knows... The HT1000 is regarded as quite possibly the best portable Motorola has ever made, for reasons mainly revolving around durability, ruggedness, reliability, performance, and what not. When I was in the market for a radio I was about to buy an HT1000 but came across the MTS2000 (which isn't quite as well known) and I'm glad I did. The MTS essentially takes those qualities that everybody likes about the HT1000 and gives us the updated electronics/boards, channel capacity, screen, and most important in my opinion, the capability to program with Windows.

The nicest thing about the MTS2000 (and even MCS2000) is that now you can order the programming cable on eBay for 25 bucks, and the software to program them can be found online. I like it because I can load up monitoring frequencies on the model III (250 channel cap) if I go away for a weekend or something. Not to mention, if a department decides to change their PL or frequency or something I can change it really quick rather than having to send it out for programming.

All in all... They're a great radio, at least from the experience I've had.

I assume the MCS2000 is just as solid of a radio.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yeah, either radio should do what you need just fine.
Couple of issues to watch out in the the MTS-2000's is bad pixels in the display and damaged antenna connectors. The pixels often go dead on the displays making it difficult to down right impossible to read the display. Make sure you confirm the display condition before purchasing. Abused radios can also have the solder joint broken between the antenna jack and the circuit board. Not hard to fix, but having this issue can mean the radio has lead a hard life.

Unless you really need the keypad, a Model 2 in either the MTS or the MCS2000 will do 160 channels also. Shop around, there are a ton of MTS2000's on the used market. Since you plan on using it for conventional, you don't need to be concerned with the flash code as the conventional was standard on all of them. Do pay attention to the software version in the radio as some older ones won't do 12.5KHz channels.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for all of your replies guys! In my shack I have all the bands covered by commercial radios except
800 Mhz. My 2 996XTs cover P25 very well. I just need something to cover some analog stuff that I don't want to tie up a scanner with. I understand that the latest firmware is R008.73 I think!I believe I read somewhere that firmware R05.XXX and above let you do the 12.5 khz. Now, as far as software goes, I already have it. The choice I have to make now is whether I want mobile or portable. I have the rib-less cable for the portable. I believe I need a RIB to do the mobile programming unless I'm mistaken. As far as the need for a DB 25 cable for audio, there is an internal speaker on the unit so I can use IT to monitor until I can set up a feed of some kind, or run an external speaker. Piping audio out is not a priority right now. I have to figure out where in my shack am I going to put this thing, if I choose to go with a mobile set up. Real estate is VERY limited in the shack these days! :D

Manny

Last edited:

N4KVE

Confused. The E-bay photo shows a type3 MCS2000, which does not have a built in speaker. External speaker only on type 2, & 3. Only the type 1 radio has a built in speaker.
Option chart.

Model 1

1 x 8 alphanumeric display
5 programmable buttons
4w internal speaker
48 channels - optional 150 expansion

Model 2

14 alphanumeric display
13 programmable buttons
7.5w external speaker
160 channels - optional 250 expansion

Model 3

2 x 14 alphanumeric display
11 programmable buttons
7.5w external speaker
160 channels - optional 250 expansion

Last edited:

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
No Internal Speaker?????

OK! Now I'M confused too! Hmm! Well, I'm leaning towards a portable anyway since I can easily store it. The mobile will have to wait until I can make more room! What I need to know now is if I can turn a model 2 into a model 3 by just adding the full case and pad then activating it via the software. I did this with my HT1250 radios.......I don't NEED the full DTMF pad but the only refurb kit I found on Ebay, is for a model 3.

Manny

Last edited:

N4KVE

Under the black plastic case on the MTS, the electronics are the same, so only the case needs to change. You'll have to do the S record thing to convert a 2 to a 3.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Under the black plastic case on the MTS, the electronics are the same, so only the case needs to change. You'll have to do the S record thing to convert a 2 to a 3.

At the risk of sounding ignorant here, what is the "S record"?

Manny

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Problem Solved!

I decided to go with the MTS2000 portable. Way too many things to buy in order to get this radio up and running. I would have to buy a RIB, an external speaker,and a DB25 cable. WIth the MTS portable, I already have the program cable and the software I found one that not only is in good shape but has been rebanded and has the latest firmware R08.73. Plus, it was programmed using the same software I have. The radio looks good!
I took the advise given here and bought a version 2. I don't need a full pad! So. here it is:
Motorola MTS2000 800MHz H37 Rebanded Model II Trunked 4 1 Analog Portable Radio | eBay

Manny

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
you will get many years of use out of it. The particular radio shown in the picture has a white depot tag, which means it was serviced at the Motorola depot during it's life. Most likely during rebanding a few years ago.

Has a strong display, or so the seller says.

Be glad you are in an area where you can still enjoy an analog radio. Where I live, you have to shell out thousands for APX stuff.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
you will get many years of use out of it. The particular radio shown in the picture has a white depot tag, which means it was serviced at the Motorola depot during it's life. Most likely during rebanding a few years ago.

Be glad you are in an area where you can still enjoy an analog radio. Where I live, you have to shell out thousands for APX stuff.
I hear ya! There aren't too many left but I'll enjoy what little there is! The guy agreed to my offer which was $50,$22 off from the $72 original asking price. Not bad considering the radio looks to be in good condition, the display looks solid, and I get 2 batteries.

Firmware is above 5.42, so make sure you understand what "ToolProof" means and how to avoid toolproofing your radio.

The MTSX Series

Thanks for the heads up! I read up a little on the forums here and on the link you posted. Basically,I'm going to read and save the code plug first as I normally do. Then just put in a few analog channels with their parameters ( PL/DPL etc ) and upload them to the radio. That's it! I'm not messing around with anything else, just keeping it basic and simple!. I doubt I will even use more than 1 zone to be quite honest. I have never been comfortable with hacking or modifying Motorola radios.But like I said, I do appreciate the heads up on this!

Manny

Last edited:

N4KVE

The last radio I got a week ago with a "white depot tag" looked brand new works great. LOL.

N4KVE

I picked up a top display radio with the "white depot tag" from a trusted seller on one of the forums. This seller & I have had many deals in the past, & I would trust him with my life.

brndnstffrd

I wish i had seen this yesterday. I I have a model 2 that i dont use anymore and i could have saved you the money on shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.