• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MTS2000 programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobRegal

Been a lurker for years. I do all the cloning and custom code plugs for our MTS2000 subscriber units at work. Since I am familiar with these rugged units, I figured I would pick a few up from a large online auction site. I use a rib at work but read up on these rib-less cables everyone raves about. I picked up a usb to rs232 cable and a rib-less serial cable from wiscomm.
I have tried getting my software to talk to my unit via the usb to 232 cable... I have tried using just the PCI and PCIe serial cards.. nothing is working for me... it won't recognize the radio's

I am at a loss and getting discouraged to the point of putting these radio's back up for auction.... does anyone have a suggestion?

kem554991

Premium Subscriber
It is well known in the Motorola hobbyist community that serial-to-usb adapters rarely if ever work. With the Jedi series, RIBless cables generally work great as long as you're using a computer with a built-in serial port. I presume you're using the Windows-based CPS software and not the DOS-based RSS, right? I've heard it is possible to make USB adapters work, but it's difficult and hit-or-miss based on the specific adapter. It's generally not recommended and has been said to ruin or corrupt radios on occasion. I would strongly suggest that you consult the Batlabs Batboards for this specific topic. It is a Motorola-centric community and this topic has been widely discussed over there many times.

SCPD

QRT
It is well known in the Motorola hobbyist community that serial-to-usb adapters rarely if ever work. .
False.

I've heard it is possible to make USB adapters work, but it's difficult and hit-or-miss based on the specific adapter..
False.

It's generally not recommended and has been said to ruin or corrupt radios on occasion.
False.

The fact is, Motorola recommends a USB/Serial adapter for computers that don't have a serial port. Anyone who bothered to read the CPS readme file (or had any clue what they were talking about) would know this. kem554991, please stop posting shots in the dark when it's clear you don't know what you're discussing.

For the OP, you need to be more specific as to the exact error messages you are seeing, the software you are using, the operating system you are using. "It won't recognize the radio's" says nothing.

kem554991

Premium Subscriber
Well first I'm going to ask that you have just slightly less attitude with people that are trying to help. Also, the Jedi series were some of the first to use CPS and in fact originally used DOS-based RSS. Being that it is still an earlier version of CPS there are some differences. Now it seems to me that if this is what Motorola recommends for that specific series and version it might just be a bit easier to get it to work. But since you're an all-knowing Motorola guru I'll just let you do my thinking for me from now on.

SCPD

QRT
Well first I'm going to ask that you have just slightly less attitude with people that are trying to help.

Giving out wrong information is not the same as actually helping.

Now it seems to me that if this is what Motorola recommends ...

Fortunately, we don't have to rely a guess. Here's what Motorola has to say about MTS 2000 CPS R02.03.00:

Code:
Hardware Requirements:      
Processor            400 MHz or higher Pentium grade Processor
                     Vista requires 1 GHz 32-bit or 64-bit processor

Memory               512 MB RAM minimum for all supported operating
		     systems except for Vista. Vista minimum
		     requirement is 1 GB of System memory

Hard Disk Space      1 Gigabyte Drive with 450 MB minimum free space (for a
                     Typical Installation, including Help Audio-Visual
                     Tutorials) or 60 MB minimum free space (for a Compact
                     Installation)
                     40 GB hard drive for Vista

Peripherals          Microsoft Windows supported Mouse or Trackball
                     Microsoft Windows supported Serial Port 
                     for radio communication
                     Microsoft Windows supported Printer Port 
                     for report printing
                     CD-ROM for software installation

NOTE: 	For computers that are not equipped with
				a serial port, radio communications may be
				possible with the use of an off-the-shelf
				USB to RS232 converter, such as the IOGEAR
				USB to Serial/PDA Converter Cable.

kem554991

Premium Subscriber
What part of "may be" is unclear? And by the way, it is in fact possible to be generally friendly when you think someone is wrong. There is no need to get an attitude with me immediately. Are you a Batlabs member? If not, I'd suggest you go over there and read some of the topics about this subject. Like I said, is possible, but it's not always easy.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Knock it off guys. The last thing Bob needs is two guys bickering over usb to serial converters.

Let's try and help him figure out his issue.

With a decent converter, he should have no problems reading and writing his radio.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
The I/O Gear branded adapters and a genuine Motorola RIB=100 percent success with MTS2000 CPS/MCS2000 CPS and Astro Saber/XTS3000 CPS, on Windows 7 32 bit.

The O/P needs to provide the SPECIFIC error message, and more information on the version of Windows. MTS2000 CPS was created prior to Windows 7, and does not play nice with 64 bit versions of Win 7 and above.

32-bit Windows 7 and a good USB to RS232 adapter works reliably for many. And yes, the quality of USB to RS232 adapters vary. the I/O Gear ones work VERY WELL with Motorola CPS.

BobRegal

WOW... sorry my lack of pertinent details stirred up a bunch of issues.
I am using the latest supported software.
I am running Windows 8.1 64 bit (quad core with hyper-threading which seems to be my issue)
The motherboard does not come with serial ports so I have installed a PCI dual serial and also a PCI Express dual serial port.
Drivers are fine.
Com ports come up in the CPS fine.
Error message instantly states "Communication with radio failed"... no matter what port I plug it in to.

I could try throwing together a XP machine and see how that works..or I wonder if I could run a 32 bit XP Virtual Machine on my system and hook into my serial ports that way...

hmmm.. not to get off the subject.. but I wonder if I could use this serial programmer to work with the EFJ I picked up... but that's for another forum area...

KC8ESL

Premium Subscriber
MTS -

Would it be possible to suggest that the oldie but goodie I/O GUC232A would work well? They sure don't need to fix what works great!

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I am using the latest supported software.
I am running Windows 8.1 64 bit (quad core with hyper-threading which seems to be my issue)

Win 8 64 bit is most likely the problem.
Keep in mind, this CPS was written in 2008, the highest SUPPORTED operating system is Windows Vista. It will run on Windows 7 32 bit, but seems to start misbehaving on 64 bit versions of Windows 7 and of course Windows 8.

Best bet is indeed to find an old XP machine. They are cheap and plentiful. MS will still activate existing XP licenses so even if you have one that needs a new hard drive or to get wiped and a fresh install, you should be fine. If you are going to be touching these "legacy" radios, you might want to pick up a cheap "legacy" XP laptop off Ebay to accompany it.

I just bought a Compaq Armada Evo N610C off a forum for $40 shipped. P4 1.8GHz with 768MB of RAM. Using it as an Echolink server. A machine like this should be easy to find. It has a 9 pin serial port in addition to two USB 2.0 ports. Will make a great backup programming machine to my Panasonic CF-29mk 5.

The I/O Gear adapters are the ones Motorola recommends. In fact, at an Astro 25 programing class, the instructor was using one on his Windows 7 laptop with his OEM RKN4106 RS232 XTS cable.

SCPD

QRT
Well, I for one, don't understand how a user could read the list of supported operating systems included with the software, then try to use the software under an unsupported operating system and then wonder why it doesn't work...

Captain Obvious called...he wants his radio back. I mean, Jesus Christ.... what kind of operation are we running here?

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Well, I for one, don't understand how a user could read the list of supported operating systems included with the software, then try to use the software under an unsupported operating system and then wonder why it doesn't work...

Captain Obvious called...he wants his radio back. I mean, Jesus Christ.... what kind of operation are we running here?

Tell me about it.

I have three MT2000's with corrupted codeplugs sitting in a box that I was given because the previous owner thought he could run MTSX DOS RSS in Windows 7 and wondered why it didn't work.

What is really bad is the internal codeplug is hosed, and because these radios are a dime a dozen, it really isn't worth my time slamming a working plug in using "other methods", then spending 1/2hr to 45 minutes doing a full alignment on each one. They will probably be sitting there until this time next year.

KC8ESL

Premium Subscriber
MTS

I'll PayPal you $.03 plus shipping for the radios and take a crack at them! I like a challenge!

Tell me about it.

I have three MT2000's with corrupted codeplugs sitting in a box that I was given because the previous owner thought he could run MTSX DOS RSS in Windows 7 and wondered why it didn't work.

What is really bad is the internal codeplug is hosed, and because these radios are a dime a dozen, it really isn't worth my time slamming a working plug in using "other methods", then spending 1/2hr to 45 minutes doing a full alignment on each one. They will probably be sitting there until this time next year.

BobRegal

Just for SnG's... I will pull the hard drive of one of my old systems ans install 32 bit windows 7... and see if it works... heck.. I may put a 32 bit Windows 8.1 on there to see also.

I believe it's not the OS... it's the hardware conflicts and it's operating faster that the program can handle.

I came on here looking for help and suggestions... not to get beaten up by someone.

If I came to your store in person, and you treated me like this... that tells me you treat everyone like this... your store would close... Hence the move to a web forum...where your arrogance is tolerated and you are safe from physical retaliation.

I appreciate the help from those who truly helped... those who jumped in to criticize.. I pity you.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
One simple thing to check is to make sure the COM port down in the device manager is the same as the one specified in the CPS.

Have you done any simple tests with the port and a terminal program to make sure the COM port is working? You can make a simple loopback plug and at least verify the COM port works.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Just for SnG's... I will pull the hard drive of one of my old systems ans install 32 bit windows 7... and see if it works... heck.. I may put a 32 bit Windows 8.1 on there to see also.

I believe it's not the OS... it's the hardware conflicts and it's operating faster that the program can handle.

As was stated, MTS2000/MCS2000 CPS predates the operating system you are wanting to run it on. Speed has nothing to do with it. I run the same programs on an i5 but with a compatible O/S.

Since you are familiar with these radios, you are probably fully aware that unlike newer radios, these can be rendered inoperable to the point of "not economical to repair" by using an unstable/unsupported programming platform. Motorola no longer supports them, so you're pretty much SOL if you end up with a brick by trying to dabble with unsupported operating systems running this legacy CPS.

I came on here looking for help and suggestions... not to get beaten up by someone.

I do believe all your questions have been answered concisely, granted, maybe not sugar coated in the manner you expected, but the information you were given is correct. To reiterate, you need the proper operating system that is supported by the software you wish to run. Those specifications are in the included READ.ME file located in the CPS.

Should you choose to deviate from those specifications, you get the unpredictable and non-desired results of non-functional software. In short, I believe you got the advice and suggestions needed for a successful solution, all you have to do is follow said advice. Should you choose not to, the consequences are yours, but I think it is futile to "shoot the messenger" when someone calls you out on your continued refusal to follow the clear instructions as written. I'm just sayin'...

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
To the OP:

I own an MTS2000, as well as a few other Moto brand radios. One piece of advise that someone gave me on herea few years ago when I began getting involved in pro radio programming was this : have a computer, tower or laptop, strictly dedicated for radio programming.This was the best advise I have ever received. I have a Panasonic Toughbook running windows XP Pro with a dedicated serial port. Now,anything and everything that has to do with pro radio, amateur radio or scanner programming, is done via the laptop I just mentioned. Everything else, I use my main towers. The laptop cost me next to nothing to pick up on fleabay. As for the cable for your MTS2000, I buy from this trusted seller all the time:Programming Cable for Motorola XTS3000 MTS2000 HT1000 | eBay Plugs right into the serial port ( com-1 ) then right to the radio. Haven't had any issues yet with communication or programming radios and I'm going on 3 years with that laptop. Even though XP is mo longer supported, It wont matter because the toughbook does not go online. Just something to think about. Less of a headache when you do it this way. It doesn't have to be XP, it can be windows 7, if you want something newer. But it will make a difference with the age of the radio you are attempting to program. I use XP because it works well on my radios. The MTS-Jedi series are the oldest radios I have, but I still use XP. Just think about it. Older computers with a serial connection are pretty cheap these days.

Manny

Last edited:

BobRegal

I grabbed an old P4 tower with com ports on the MOBO that I had sitting in the corner.. tossed XP SP3 on there.. installed the MTS software and wallah.. smooth as silk. I can read.. write.. all that now.. no probs.

Since I have waited this long.. the stuff I want to listen to, has switched to digital.. so I have these 4 MTS2000's (800mhz) that are now worthless to me. Time to put these, and the cable, up for auction.. oh well.. it was fun while it lasted.

I just picked up a freaking EFJ 5100 at a rummage sale for $10.00.. yes.. $10.00... the lady said it was her husbands and she don't know if it works because the battery is dead... Umm. heck yea it works... Now to find the Armada software and a cable!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.