• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XPR5550 external spkr

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jerryray

I tried using pins 9&10 for external speaker to my mixer.
I get a terrible dc pop at the end of each transmission. I tried a bypass ca and a 1:1 isolation transformer.
Anyone else encounter and solve this problem?

TIA
K2JRC

com501

You can't do that. There is a DC potential on each side of the speaker lead.

What mixer? The output of the radio is 4-8 ohms at several watts. You would need to severely limit the input to your mixer on the secondary side of your transformer. You cannot ground either side of the speaker output or common it.

J

jerryray

Thanks for the reply, I tried a 8 ohm speaker, that pops as well. I can try to dc isolate each side, Strange that a real external speaker does it too. What impedance are the Motorola external speakers?

JC

N4KVE

When I briefly had a UHF 5550, I too noticed that pop at the end of each transmission. But using that same cable & speaker on both my 4550's produced no pop. One reason I got rid of the 5550. People may call me crazy, but I prefer the 4550 to the 5550.

J

jerryray

Well, I used a bypass cap on each leg into a balanced line input and still heard the pop.

J

jerryray

So after investigating this further, it seems the speaker out is not for YOUR speaker, it's for the Motorola Powered speaker, 3 choices out there. I ordered the RSN4002A 13 watt version. If it does not pop, I will build in a speaker or aux balanced out with transformer isolation.

So be careful, this XPR5500 is no like the old Maxtracs

firefive76

We have multiple XPR5550's running external speakers and have not had any of the "pop" problems. They are not powered external speakers either.

J

jerryray

Really, what is the DC impedance what pins have you connected to?
Thanks

N4KVE

13 watt speakers are just 3 1/2 ohms instead of 8 ohms, so with less resistance, they sound louder. But because they sound louder, they charge quite a bit more for them, even though they cost the same to make. Talk about easy money. LOL.

J

jerryray

So you don't think there is any active amp. The radio is only rated for 3 watts Audio out. I assumed a 13 watt speaker is amplified.
Do you see 13 volts across the speaker output pins 9@10 ?
I don't see any options in CPS for speaker out routing.

Thanks

N4KVE

I don't see any options in CPS for speaker out routing.

Thanks
There isn't any. When I got my 1st 4550, I too was concerned with the radio running 2 speakers at the same time, as my old Maxtrac wasn't happy doing that years ago. I was assured that it's not bad for the radio to do this, as the large external speaker will be so loud, I won't even hear the small internal speaker. It sounded great, but when I had a 5550 for a month [a friend needed $ so he pawned it to me until he could buy it back] I connected the same external speaker to the 5550 that had been on the 4550, & immediately noticed the popping noise when the carrier dropped. Plugged the speaker back into the 4550, & no popping noise. I mentioned this thread to my friend, & he does not hear a popping noise, but he doesn't use an external speaker. Also, his radio sits in a noisy work van, but when I owned it, the radio sat in a quiet house.

J

jerryray

Is pin 14 muted audio?

I'll try it, any dc that needs to be blocked?

J

jerryray

The only problem I have is there is a channel free tone, which is adjustable through the CPS software, it works as I set it (-20db) from the speaker, but from this audio pin 14 source the beep is very loud. So in the end I may still have to modify the speaker when I get it.
The channel free tone is like a repeater tail tone. Without it you don't know the other person has actually dropped the carrier.

J

jerryray

Just an FYI, I did get the 13w Speaker and it is NOT active. In the car I can't hear the pop when the audio gate opens, but at home I sure do.

Does this pop bother anyone else using the external speaker at home?

Cheers

J

jerryray

For all that may have the same problem in the shack. I cut one of the speaker wires added a DPDT Center off switch with a 22 ohm resistor across the two ends. Center= No external speaker, one direction lower level about equal to the internal speaker, less clicking. Other direction is normal straight through.

Works..

Status
Not open for further replies.