• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CPS issues with dirty contacts

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZS6HZ

I thought I'd quickly post about something that I found out today, and hopefully you can use this info yourselves at some stage.

I am running a Mototrbo network and using Neocom Trbonet Enterprise as dispatching/control software. The Trbonet Server and the Dispatch software are on the same PC, and so is the Mototrbo CPS.

The Trbonet is set to send SMS notifications when an alarm occurs, and this means that Nokia PC Suite has to be running as well.

I tried to reprogram all the DP-4400's on the network, and started getting really weird issues with CPS that I'd never experienced before.

The CPS would intermittently:
Report that the password was invalid
Report that a radio I'd just read could not be written or cloned
Just get to 19% of reading and then freeze
Not see the radio at all
Sometimes see a radio, but then lose it after I hit "read"
Freeze while writing a radio

Eventually I disconnected the Nokia cellphone used for the SMS notification as well as the PC Suite software and things returned to normal except for one specific radio that just wouldn't get past the password stage so I couldn't read it, and trying to overwrite it with another codeplug wouldn't work as it kept reporting an incorrect model number (which was not the case).

After struggling for a good hour, and wracking my brain to figure out what the problem was, I removed the programming cable from the radio and wiped the contacts on the radio and the cable.... BINGO.

The contacts must have been dusty or grimed with oil or sweat or something, because after a good cleaning everything worked fine. They looked perfectly clean though before I wiped them, so contact must be quite tenuous at the best of times.

I hope this saves you all a bit of time if you get the same problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.