• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola Not Wanting to Sell CPS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bosco836

Hi Everyone,

I recently tried to purchase CPS (For the XPR 6550 series radios) from Motorola and went through the process of creating an account. After answering their questions - received a reply back saying my account had been denied and to contact a local Motorola dealer for programming.

I've been used to dealing with Kenwood for programming software over the past few years, and can honestly say I've never run into an issue like this before. How does one legally acquire programming software for their radio's if Motorola refuses to sell it to them?

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
After answering their questions - received a reply back saying my account had been denied and to contact a local Motorola dealer for programming.

I've heard of this happened back in the days of the CDM/Pro/Waris series, but if you are in the USA, this would be unusual, but not unlike Motorola. They really do hate their customers. Telling a customer to "contact a dealer" for self-maintained needs is like Ford refusing to sell parts to a fleet maintenance dept or owner and telling them to "take it to your Ford dealer".

I've been used to dealing with Kenwood for programming software over the past few years, and can honestly say I've never run into an issue like this before.

Kenwood, Icom and Vertex-Standard (who, ironically is now owned by Motorola) don't have a problem selling software to anyone, even though they may pawn you off to a local dealer to order it, and some dealers are slime buckets and will LIE and tell you they cannot order it or sell it to end users (which is B.S.). V-S will give anyone that walks a VXSTD Online account and most software is available there FREE.

Only Motorola acts like a greedy spoiled child.

How does one legally acquire programming software for their radio's if Motorola refuses to sell it to them?

There is no other way to LEGALLY obtain it other than to get it from Motorola directly.

That being said, it is no wonder why their CPS is pirated more than any other radio warez. I don't feel sorry for them as they make it exceptionally difficult for people who act in good faith such as yourself, and want to GIVE THEM MONEY and do it the right way.

Hey Motorola, there is a reason your revenue keeps dropping every quarter. You aren't the only game in town. Time to change your underwear, it is starting to stink in here.

bosco836

Only Motorola acts like a greedy spoiled child.

There is no other way to LEGALLY obtain it other than to get it from Motorola directly.

That being said, it is no wonder why their CPS is pirated more than any other radio warez. I don't feel sorry for them as they make it exceptionally difficult for people who act in good faith such as yourself, and want to GIVE THEM MONEY and do it the right way.

This is really most unfortunate. If anyone here happens to work for Motorola and might be able to help me get this resolved, I'd appreciate a PM.

In the mean time, I'll see where I get via phoning them and pleading my case. It just seems silly to me that they refuse to sell CUSTOMER programming software to a CUSTOMER who has purchased several TRBO radios....

N4KVE

Motorola is after the huge customer. They treat the small guy like crap. My friend who works for a state wide utility company called Motorola for 1 EID. They sent him 10. Like Erik said, no wonder why so many people pirate the software.

SCPD

QRT
Every once in awhile, someone will post that Moto won't sell an individual software. I wonder if it's because you try on-line?

I always call the 800 number on Motorola Online to renew, or buy new software. I have always gotten a friendly response, give them my charge card number, never an issue.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Motorola refusal

One of the reasons I went with Hytera for my DMR radio was easy and very reasonable software availability.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Every once in awhile, someone will post that Moto won't sell an individual software. I wonder if it's because you try on-line?

I always call the 800 number on Motorola Online to renew, or buy new software. I have always gotten a friendly response, give them my charge card number, never an issue.

I have no experience with this yet but you ask, "I wonder if it's because you try online?" to which I say...this is 2015 - everything should be able to be done online when it comes to software such as this. The instructions I've seen online in other posts (and forums) act as though we should just follow these steps (online) and, bam, we'll get the software. Then I run across this thread and think, "um, what?" I wonder one of two things - someone at Moto didn't know what they were doing and denied him wrongly OR there is more to the story than shared here. I tend to lean toward the first.

One question I've wondered - when signing up for an account on MOL, should I just put "ham radio" as company/organization? Could this be the reason a few are denied? I am not a company and would not be using it for business use, just to program Moto radios for personal, ham radio use. So wouldn't ham radio be acceptable?

RadioSquad

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Motorola might be locking down on who can buy software now. Maybe all of their newer software is designed to be loaded with activation codes and only are able to be loaded on a few computers and thats it.

I can see them down the road managing their licensing on their software since it has been running rampid all over the internet including their depot software.

SCPD

QRT
Dunno

One question I've wondered - when signing up for an account on MOL, should I just put "ham radio" as company/organization? Could this be the reason a few are denied? I am not a company and would not be using it for business use, just to program Moto radios for personal, ham radio use. So wouldn't ham radio be acceptable?

Dunno.
I have always bought and renewed over the phone, chatting with a live person (usually a nice sounding young lady), using the phone number on the MOL website. I give them the software part number, and I'm done. Now, I've had an account since the days of HT600's and MTX radios, and the first thing I give 'em is my account number, so maybe that's why things go easier for me.
But I honestly don't remember being asked who I work for, what's it for, who's it for.

Sure, it's 2015 and everything should be done on-line.
So maybe spending twenty minutes filling out a form, waiting on a response, going back and forth, is better than a 3 minute phone call, and bada bing I'm done.

Would you like me to PM you the name of the person I talked to last time?

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Dunno.
I have always bought and renewed over the phone, chatting with a live person (usually a nice sounding young lady), using the phone number on the MOL website. I give them the software part number, and I'm done. Now, I've had an account since the days of HT600's and MTX radios, and the first thing I give 'em is my account number, so maybe that's why things go easier for me.
But I honestly don't remember being asked who I work for, what's it for, who's it for.

Sure, it's 2015 and everything should be done on-line.
So maybe spending twenty minutes filling out a form, waiting on a response, going back and forth, is better than a 3 minute phone call, and bada bing I'm done.

Would you like me to PM you the name of the person I talked to last time?

I guess it could be that when they pull up your account and see you've had the account several years they don't question anything, assuming you are a radio dealer or something. Anyway, I remember reading somewhere (this thread or another one) that Moto seemed to be making the process much harder than it should be but maybe that is just a matter of opinion and perspective. Is the cost just a one time expense or is it several hundred a year to have the CPS software? I had understood it was a couple hundred or so bucks to buy and then updates, etc., were all included for however long you have it...but then I saw someone make the statement "I'm not renewing my subscription this time..." which sounds like it's money that has to be forked over every year or whatever to have the software? If that's the case that will count me out.

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
Worked with Motorola for over 30 years and never heard of them denying an individual. However you must set up an account with them. Also don't confuse Motorola with a Motorola dealer. Only Motorola Corporate can sell the software, Dealers cannot (has to do with their software licensing agreements). Maybe there was something wrong with the account information you provided. Most software is good for 3 years of updates. Unless you need bug fixes, updates, or new features (or get a newer radio programmed with later software) you probably wouldn't need to re-new your software license.
BB

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
It's my observation that those that are not able to verbalize (in words or writing) a somewhat legit purpose are the ones that get turned down. If you just mumble that you want to program your Ebay special, they're likely to deny you. If you simply say that you're now dealing with the Pro series of radios, you sound like you know what you're talking about. You don't lie, but you do have to speak knowledgeably and convincingly. Any number of individuals have had no problem opening and using MOL accounts so we know it can be done.

I was lucky because I was setting up the account on behalf of a local government. They never questioned the reason or purpose. I did have to jump through an extra hoop to prove total tax exempt, but it was just a signed form that I had to send to them.

n5ims

Since you don't list your location, we have to assume the worst. It's possible that you're attempting to deal with the US based Motorola and you live outside of the US. This will be an automatic disqualification since the US based Motorola office can only sell to US customers. If you contact the Motorola office that handles your country, they may be able to accept you quickly. There have been several members here that reside in Europe that have been rejected by the US based online store (https://businessonline.motorolasolutions.com) but once they contacted the proper one for their country they had success.

ecps92

And since many of his other posts have been about Canada, I think you hit the nail correctly.

I wish folks would properly update their profiles, it so much would help when formulating an appropriate response. :roll:

Since you don't list your location, we have to assume the worst. It's possible that you're attempting to deal with the US based Motorola and you live outside of the US. This will be an automatic disqualification since the US based Motorola office can only sell to US customers. If you contact the Motorola office that handles your country, they may be able to accept you quickly. There have been several members here that reside in Europe that have been rejected by the US based online store (https://businessonline.motorolasolutions.com) but once they contacted the proper one for their country they had success.

SCPD

QRT
I never had a problem dealing with motorola mol online, solutions, or the 800 number. I was thinking too above maybe he's in Canada and getting the us end.

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
This is really most unfortunate. If anyone here happens to work for Motorola and might be able to help me get this resolved, I'd appreciate a PM.

In the mean time, I'll see where I get via phoning them and pleading my case. It just seems silly to me that they refuse to sell CUSTOMER programming software to a CUSTOMER who has purchased several TRBO radios....

bosco836,
Check your PM

N4KVE

And since many of his other posts have been about Canada, I think you hit the nail correctly.

I wish folks would properly update their profiles, it so much would help when formulating an appropriate response. :roll:
I agree 1000% here. Many times someone asks for help, but has no location in his profile. I would gladly offer my help if I knew he lived within 50 miles of me, but I wonder if he lives close by, or across the country.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
I agree 1000% here. Many times someone asks for help, but has no location in his profile. I would gladly offer my help if I knew he lived within 50 miles of me, but I wonder if he lives close by, or across the country.
I'm in full agreement with the rest on this.

I am almost at the point where I don't feel the need to help folks who don't have the courtesy to fill in their location field. Since this is an international forum, it would seem to be a minimum need to know where the heck someone is before answering their questions. Given the varying laws and trade differences, let alone the many different radio systems, around the world, it's just not reasonable to ask for help without identifying your location.

Status
Not open for further replies.