• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Computer isn't recognizing my RIB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikem001

I'm using cps R06.12.05 and I'm trying to program a cdm1250 thru a remote head. I purchased an aftermarket rib and cable on eBay and when I open cps and try to read the radio I get the can't open port error. I tried both com1 and 3 in the cps and get the same error, Is there some settings on the computer that I need to switch other than that, because I don't see it come up in the device manager or anything. (Btw I'm using an old laptop that is running Windows xp and had a real serial port built in)

cabletech

1) What cable setup are you using? USB or the older serial port RIB with cable?

2) The newest software version is 6.12.09.

If using USB, do you have driver loaded? Go to device manager and see what port is assigned. Some times the program will not see com port 5 and above.

Mikem001

1) What cable setup are you using? USB or the older serial port RIB with cable?

2) The newest software version is 6.12.09.

If using USB, do you have driver loaded? Go to device manager and see what port is assigned. Some times the program will not see com port 5 and above.

1) I'm using older serial port with rib

2) I know what the latest version is how ever I don't have access to it and didn't have a problem with the version I currently have before this

cmdrwill

Some RIB do not work well with some computer serial ports. A known problem.
The RIB design (design that is a joke) does not follow the RS232 Serial Port Standards.

Even the Original Motorola RIB have problems, piss poor design.

Mikem001

I just want to clarify something are there people out there that have had success using an aftermarket RIB or its guaranteed to be a waste of time?

Mikem001

I ended up buying a usb to serial cable at radio shack for $20 and it worked perfectly with the aftermarket RIB without any errors. It goes to show not always is the built in serial ports better.

Nasby

I just want to clarify something are there people out there that have had success using an aftermarket RIB or its guaranteed to be a waste of time?

I've had 100% success with aftermarket RIB's and cables.
I use them on my older Jedi and Saber radios.
They have all come from KAWA Mall.

N4KVE

I use a "Radio Stew" rib with much success. But most of my older radios work fine with "ribless cables" plugged into a serial port.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
To simplify your setup you could have purchased the serial ribless cable for the CDM series from KAWA mall. These work great on my remote head CDM's. Never had problem with it. Some folks have issues programming through the remote head but I have never had and problems using the cable I mentioned.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
1250 cable

I have had very good luck using a ribless com port cable. KaWaMall brand works well.

Status
Not open for further replies.