• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Tapping into audio from a Motorola astro

Status
Not open for further replies.

ervfc288

Feed Provider
I'm sure I'm leaving some pertinent info out here, so please feel free to ask any questions. At my firehouse, we have a Motorola astro 800hmz base station radio. The accessory out cable appears to have an audio feed that goes to the speaker attached to the bottom of the radio. I read some threads that explain that it is possible to tap into this feed. I would like to tap into this feed, safely, and send the audio to our amplifier to be distributed throughout the station to existing speakers.

The radio is on the Charlottesville/Albemarle 800 p25 system.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

ervfc288

Feed Provider
Thanks for the reply, I've attached pics of the radio in question.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 852
Last edited:

jim202

Most of the Motorola radios have a fixed level audio output on a pin of the accessory connector. This audio level is not effected by the volume control on the control head. It does have a DC bias voltage on the connection, so you will need to use a series coupling cap of say 1.0 uf to remove this DC bias voltage before feeding it to your external audio amplifier.

The connection doesn't care what radio frequency or system the radio is listening to. What does matter is the type of radio. Be it a dash mount, trunk or remote mount, medium power or high power, or a consolette. This way you can be told what pin to use as the high connection and the ground connection.

I think you will find that pin 11 is the RX fixed audio out and pin 8 is ground. Connector is a DB-15 male that you will need to modify. Generally you will find the connector there that is providing the regular speaker output and probably the ignition to be able to power the radio on and off.

Last edited:

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Most of the Motorola radios have a fixed level audio output on a pin of the accessory connector. This audio level is not effected by the volume control on the control head. It does have a DC bias voltage on the connection, so you will need to use a series coupling cap of say 1.0 uf to remove this DC bias voltage before feeding it to your external audio amplifier.

The connection doesn't care what radio frequency or system the radio is listening to. What does matter is the type of radio. Be it a dash mount, trunk or remote mount, medium power or high power, or a consolette. This way you can be told what pin to use as the high connection and the ground connection.

I think you will find that pin 11 is the RX fixed audio out and pin 8 is ground. Connector is a DB-15 male that you will need to modify. Generally you will find the connector there that is providing the regular speaker output and probably the ignition to be able to power the radio on and off.

From what I can gather on the Astro Spectra pin 11 is detector audio and pin 8 is digital ground. Will these work for feeding a line level input device for recording or the input of an audio amplifier for redistribution? The MCS2000's have a pins labeled flat RX audio
and analog ground. That is what I use on those for feeding line level input devices. The astro spectra doesn't have these specific pins.

cmdrwill

Since you have a dash mount mid power all you need to do is add a capacitor on the interface board and one pin on the DB15 accessory connector. If you need further email or PM me.

BTW the above post is not correct for what you want to do and requires moving 'zero ohm surface mounted resistors on the command board. Not for the faint of heart!

SMohr

Will, I need to get filtered RX audio out of an astro spectra also, to send to a fire station PA amplifier. Could you please let me know how to mod the radio and get the correct source to the 15 pin connector?

SMohr

Since you have a dash mount mid power all you need to do is add a capacitor on the interface board and one pin on the DB15 accessory connector. If you need further email or PM me.

BTW the above post is not correct for what you want to do and requires moving 'zero ohm surface mounted resistors on the command board. Not for the faint of heart!
Still trying to figure out how to get flat RX audio from a dash mount astro spectra to my FD station amplifier. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

cmdrwill

You do NOT want 'Flat RX Audio' for your station amplifier.
As I mentioned Filtered Audio IS available on the 15 pin connector on the back of your Spectra radio. Yes it does require a part to be added in the radio and a male pin in the connector.

Email sent.

Please reply and I can build you the cable if you are not handy.. or will be glad to show you how to.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I'm sure I'm leaving some pertinent info out here, so please feel free to ask any questions. At my firehouse, we have a Motorola astro 800hmz base station radio. The accessory out cable appears to have an audio feed that goes to the speaker attached to the bottom of the radio. I read some threads that explain that it is possible to tap into this feed. I would like to tap into this feed, safely, and send the audio to our amplifier to be distributed throughout the station to existing speakers.

Our firehouses have XTL5000 and APX6500 radios and use Pins 21/14 for the audio to the PA. Works like a charm.

If you're using an XTL5000 or APX mobile, Pin 21 on the DB26 is filtered RX audio and Pin 14 is ground.

If you're using a Spectra or Astro Spectra, Pin 11 on the DB15 is detector audio and Pin 8 is ground.

cmdrwill

If you're using a Spectra or Astro Spectra, Pin 11 on the DB15 is detector audio and Pin 8 is ground.

He IS and does not want to hear the non de-empahssed and un muted "detector audio".

I already sent him the solution for Filtered Audio to the station PA amplifier.

Status
Not open for further replies.