• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XPR 5550 Out of Band

Status
Not open for further replies.

N4KVE

In my case, that opened up my 6580 for 902/927, but not UHF. I used the typical hex edit method for UHF to get my 450-512 XPR6300 to go down to 440. I specifically asked EYF about this, but he said his mod did not cover the UHF band.

Last edited:

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Ok is this safe? The band limits go from 450-512 to 50-999. I just wanted it to go down to 420. So I'd have a 420-512 split.

Why 50-999? The radio likely will not go much past 440 if it even gets that far. Unless you need T-band coverage, you would be better off selling that radio and buying an 'R' split if you want to use it below 440.

slapshot0017

Why 50-999? The radio likely will not go much past 440 if it even gets that far. Unless you need T-band coverage, you would be better off selling that radio and buying an 'R' split if you want to use it below 440.

That link breaks the code plug to go out of band... I plan on buying an XPR 5550 UHF R2 450-512 and modifying it to go out of band to at least 440 or lower if possible. The 7550 that I own does the whole UHF band. I need a mobile that will recieve the full PS UHF R2 range and amateur stuff...

I asked if it was safe to put the code plug in the radio to people who have done it or any other methods like the Hex edit which I've done for the ASTRO 25 CPS...

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I plan on buying an XPR 5550 UHF R2 450-512 and modifying it to go out of band to at least 440 or lower if possible
if it will go to 440MHz or lower, it will likely require retuning, and will likely 'lose off the top' to get the radio to operate lower in the UHF band.
I need a mobile that will recieve the full PS UHF R2 range and amateur stuff...

Yea, that's going to be tough to find.

I asked if it was safe to put the code plug in the radio to people who have done it or any other methods like the Hex edit which I've done for the ASTRO 25 CPS...

Lol... Easy on the 'tude...

N4KVE

It is well known the 450-512 XPR series of radios will easily go to 440 w/o any retuning necessary. Simple hex edit. Trouble is, you can never read the radio, or you will lose all the freq's below 450. You get around this by reading the saved codeplug, making any necessary changes, programming them into the radio, & saving those changes to the codeplug. Next time you need to make changes read that saved codeplug, & repeat the above steps.

slapshot0017

if it will go to 440MHz or lower, it will likely require retuning, and will likely 'lose off the top' to get the radio to operate lower in the UHF band.

Yea, that's going to be tough to find.

Lol... Easy on the 'tude...

There is supposedly no need for retuning just to go down 10 mhz,

The XPR 5550 UHF R2 does just what I need,

and no tude just stating the purpose to my post...

slapshot0017

It is well known the 450-512 XPR series of radios will easily go to 440 w/o any retuning necessary. Simple hex edit. Trouble is, you can never read the radio, or you will lose all the freq's below 450. You get around this by reading the saved codeplug, making any necessary changes, programming them into the radio, & saving those changes to the codeplug. Next time you need to make changes read that saved codeplug, & repeat the above steps.

So do I pretty much just mimic the ASTRO 25 Hex edit?

nr6e

Premium Subscriber

Completely new to DMR and Motorola radios here..... I went and bought an XPR 5550 used off eBay and then realized that the radio supports 450-512 Mhz and not the (HAM) 440 frequencies I was intending on using. I'll be reading up on what can be done to mod / reprogram the radio.

slapshot0017

Completely new to DMR and Motorola radios here..... I went and bought an XPR 5550 used off eBay and then realized that the radio supports 450-512 Mhz and not the (HAM) 440 frequencies I was intending on using. I'll be reading up on what can be done to mod / reprogram the radio.

Very nice. Welcome! I found that this: http://communications.support/archive/index.php/t-5594.html works perfect. Follow the instructions exactly, but just change the 900 meg stuff with the UHF frequency desired.

nr6e

Premium Subscriber
Very awesome, thanks!!

I'm still waiting for Motorola to get me all set up with online access to purchasing the CPS software, I also need to order the programming cable as well, but once that's all set, I will definitely follow this to a T

Thanks again :-D

N4KVE

Just buy the proper band split radio for the band you intend to use. If you're going to use ham 80% of the time, & "T" band 20%, get a low split radio, but if you intend to use 500 mhz 80% of the time, & ham 20%, then get a high split radio. These radios will go about 10 mhz out of band before performance starts to suffer. And a notice to all, if you are purchasing a radio on an auction site, read the fine print, & know what you are buying.

nr6e

Premium Subscriber
Just buy the proper band split radio for the band you intend to use. If you're going to use ham 80% of the time, & "T" band 20%, get a low split radio, but if you intend to use 500 mhz 80% of the time, & ham 20%, then get a high split radio. These radios will go about 10 mhz out of band before performance starts to suffer. And a notice to all, if you are purchasing a radio on an auction site, read the fine print, & know what you are buying.

I made a mistake when I bought the radio. I'm trying to avoid buying another radio. I agree with what you say but I can't go back in time and change things :)

N4KVE

I made a mistake when I bought the radio. I'm trying to avoid buying another radio. I agree with what you say but I can't go back in time and change things :)
Since low split radios are much more common than hi split radios, put out an ad looking for someone to trade you a low split for your hi split radio. Many times you will see a hi split radio going for $30 more than an identical low split radio because of this.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Very awesome, thanks!!

I'm still waiting for Motorola to get me all set up with online access to purchasing the CPS software, I also need to order the programming cable as well, but once that's all set, I will definitely follow this to a T

Thanks again :-D

Don't forget to get the free entitlement key to enable wide band programming while your at it. You will want it for the 440 Ham bands if you intend on using the radio there.

Status
Not open for further replies.