• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Anything out there like the DTR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meestor_X

I have a whack of DTR radios and I'm wondering if any manufacturer makes anything like them (but better)
Must haves:
- License free
- Free CPS software & OTA programming
- Digital with private groups and users
- Pro (not a consumer FRS style radio)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Minus the OTA programming you can look for some Nextel's w'DirecTalk.

I have several i325's and they are professional quality.

Meestor_X

My understanding was that the DTR was created from the Nextel product. Are the i325 any better than the DTR?

prc117f

I have a whack of DTR radios and I'm wondering if any manufacturer makes anything like them (but better)
Must haves:
- License free

Nope. They are great radios, we use them. Are you trying to get rid of them or buy something else?

Meestor_X

Yeah, they're great, but pretty old technology. They're so good that I'm surprised there's no successor to them. I don't want to get rid of what I have but I'd like to upgrade.

Hooligan

Yeah, they're great, but pretty old technology. They're so good that I'm surprised there's no successor to them. I don't want to get rid of what I have but I'd like to upgrade.

You say they're great, they're so good, you don't want to get rid of them... So please tell me why Motorola should try to come out with a successor? Simply because you also say the fantastic radios are "old technology?"

Meestor_X

Hey - I don't want to start a fight! ;-)
It took me many years before I even discovered the DTR radios. So logically it's possible that there's other radios out there that are even better that I don't know about.

There are many improvements I would like to see on the DTRs, some could be done by software, others would require hardware updates.
1. Speaker/Mics are too quiet
2. Latency (delay) is very long
3. Could use an audible scroll list
4. Could use an auto-private function

Just to name a few.

Anyway, if those that know about all the radios available say there's nothing better, then that's all there is to that. Thank you everyone for your replies!

737mech

Premium Subscriber
DTR

I agree keep asking for better what could possibly be wrong with that? Radios, cell phones, computers, all evolve into better. I see the DTR as cool for now but extend range and I also like those suggestions you made. I might add a nice thing would be offer free firmware upgrades.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Well you say so but I found out you cannot be an end user on the motorola website you have to have a dealer sign in to access the firmware files.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
I found those and thanks for that. I was suggesting Motorola change and make firmware available to end users on every level of access on the mol accounts.

Meestor_X

So are other 900mhz radios (like the Kenwood NX411) also license-free?

n1das

Must haves:
- License free

What's old is new again......

Motorola is bringing back the 900MHz FHSS digital system used by DTR radios in the new DLR series. They are license free. The brochure docs were put up on Moto's website less than a month ago. I don't know if DLR radios will talk to DTR radios but they appear to use the same system.

DLR Series

CPS is readily available for download from Moto by the end user and is free. CPS is needed for the end user to customize features and settings since the radio has so few buttons. It is all digital and supports private groups and users. What I'm not sure about is what charger do they use. It would be real nice for them to be USB chargeable and use the popular micro-USB connector. It probably does have USB in order to readily connect to a PC to use the CPS. Dunno about OTA programming.

The DLR series is marketed toward UHF business bubble pack users where the (analog) CLS1410 and CLS1110 handhelds are popular. The DLR series appears to be a scaled down and updated version of the DTR series. It seems to make sense for the target market so I expect these to become popular. They are Pro radios, not FRS consumer junk.

I have ordered a pair of DLR1060 portables from Factory Outlet Store | Online Shopping | Online Outlet Store and should receive them in a few days.

http://wwww.factoryoutletstore.com/cat/36882/Motorola-DLR-Series-.html

Last edited:

Meestor_X

Interesting, but these new radios look to be quite limited in features compared to the DTR.

However, I'm curious to see if/how the new CPS software works with the DTR radios...

n1das

Interesting, but these new radios look to be quite limited in features compared to the DTR.

However, I'm curious to see if/how the new CPS software works with the DTR radios...

The DLR series appear to be a scaled down version of the DTR series and they seem to make sense for the target market. If you didn't know they were 900MHz digital radios, at first glance you might think they are a variant of the CLS series analog UHF business bubble pack radios. The CLS series are popular in retail outlets and restaurants from what I've seen. For that kind of market I expect the DLR series could become popular. If they do become popular I expect Moto will eventually follow thru with some new models offering more features like the DTR radios.

Anyhow my pair of DLR1060 radios are scheduled for delivery on Monday 8/17.

Last edited:

n1das

Good news! DLR and DTR radios are compatible! :cool:

From pages 29 and 30 in the DLR User Guide:

DLR AND DTR RADIOS COMPATIBILITY
DLR and DTR radios are based on the same
digital radio technology and can be used in
mixed fleets of DLR and DTR radios. Out of the
box, DLR and DTR radios will communicate
using the factory default settings.

If you have DTR radios with customized
settings and/or private groups, and need to add
DLR radios, make sure to use the DLR CPS
software(*) in order to create a compatible
configuration in the DLR radios. The same
applies if DTR radios are to be added to an
existing DLR radio fleet. For more details on
DTR and DLR compatibility please contact your
Motorola point of sale.

For questions or comments related to this
product, please contact Motorola:
1-800-448-6866
Note: (*) DLR CPS software is available for free
download at
DLR Series

Last edited:

Meestor_X

That's pretty cool!

Do you have any DTR radios to check the cross-compatibility with? I'd be interested to know how the DLR works with the group functions of the DTR...

n1das

That's pretty cool!

Do you have any DTR radios to check the cross-compatibility with? I'd be interested to know how the DLR works with the group functions of the DTR...

I do not have any DTR radios and I don't know anybody who does. I should receive my DLR radios today so I can start playing with them. I expect if the DLR series becomes popular enough to replace the popular UHF (analog) CLS series in the target market Moto will offer some more DLR models with more features.

The New England ARRL convention in Boxboro MA is happening this coming weekend and I'm planning to use the DLR portables there. There's a chance I might cross paths with someone using a DTR portable.

Boxboro - The ARRL New England Convention

Status
Not open for further replies.