• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX7000 Conventional Channel Capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
I was reading through some other forums recently and I am still seeing conflicting information. On a Motorola APX7000 VHF/UHF, what is the total number of conventional channels that can be programmed in zones? I have read 16 zones of 16 channels each some places. Other places I have read a much higher number. Can anybody explain this to me?

CCHLLM

If you utilize one personality for each channel, the capacity is limited to the number of personalities. If you utilize one personality for several similarly configured "channels" or modes, the number of channels possible increases dramatically. For instance, if all the channels in a zone are very similarly configured, then you could use one personality for that entire zone. The published maximum numbers of zones, channels, and scan lists, etc., is really just a firmware maximum for each of those parameters. How many you can actually put in the radio depends entirely upon how many of the channels or modes can share a single personality, and where they are placed in the overall mode/zone scheme. In other words, the ultimate number of channels is limited by how many channels need different parameters and formats, such as scan lists, signalling, different modulation, bandwidth, different yadda yadda yadda.

If you use the top 16 position control as a channel selector, you are limited to 16 per zone. If you use it as a zone selector, you are limited to 16 zones and you can put up to 32 channels in a zone, but you have to program at least one of the programmable buttons as a channel selector, or one for channel up and one for channel down.

Is that clear as mud?

Last edited:

phillydjdan

i bet your channel selector stops on channel-16? well that's a good answer lol

The fact that the channel knob has 16 positions means nothing. You can theoretically have 100 channels in that zone if you wanted, you just have to use the "CHAN" softkey and scroll to that channel instead of simply switching the channel knob.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Extremely convoluted answers for a simple question. Dan hit the nail on the head though.

As many as you want up to 3000 or so if you add a CHAN menu item.

My APX is quite full but it tells me I can still add 609 channels to a Zone.

The maximum capacity of an APX7000 is 3,000 channels so I suppose if you wanted to, you could put all 3,000 channels in a Zone.

jim202

OK, here is the answer hot off the Motorola specifications sheets R3-4-2021D for the APX7000.

Model 1.5 with top display = channel capacity is 1200.

Model 3.5 with dual display = channel capacity of 2000.

It doesn't go into conventional and trunking channel differences so can't help you there. It also didn't mention any limit or number of personalities.

JASII

Memory Capacity
What is the maximum number of zones of conventional channels then? I recall seeing 25, but perhaps I was also looking at an old spec sheet.

Status
Not open for further replies.