• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX Radios on MotoTRBO Network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phillydjdan

They do not and cannot. The only similarity between the two models is the programming cable and microphones are interchangeable.

riveter

Premium Subscriber
despite all the similarities between the two waveforms and hardware types ;)

TLF82

Premium Subscriber
It is possible to run APX radios on a Mototrbo network? Is the programming even available in the CPS?

Nope... the codec is the same and they are both TDMA but everything else is different.
Don't believe the hype people put out there that Motorola is coming out with a flash for TRBO on an APX. Not gonna happen. If it does happen it will be a special release for federal three letter agencies on special firmware (exactly like the dual RF deck single head XTL setup...)

sfd119

Nope... the codec is the same and they are both TDMA but everything else is different.
Don't believe the hype people put out there that Motorola is coming out with a flash for TRBO on an APX. Not gonna happen. If it does happen it will be a special release for federal three letter agencies on special firmware (exactly like the dual RF deck single head XTL setup...)

Little birdy told me Quarter 3 of this year...

TLF82

Premium Subscriber
Little birdy told me Quarter 3 of this year...

I'll believe it when I see it in an working radio...
In the mean time, I won't be holding my breath... Motorola is a company out to make money. And as they say MotoTRBO is not suitable for public safety. So why would they put a feature into a public safety radio that they claim is not good for that purpose?

Kirk

DB Admin
Database Admin
Only thing I can figure is interop. You would still be selling the high-end (and high dollar) P25 radio for police/fire, but it could also talk to public works on Trbo.

Who knows what Moto will do. Sometimes I don't think *they* know what they'll do.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
You and I both know that the reason why Moto says TRBO is not suitable for public safety usage is because TRBO has already been established at a lower price tier than P25.

They're not going to sell a cheaper, lower profit solution to a customer when they CAN sell them the more profitable option instead.

It comes down to money.,

TLF82

Premium Subscriber
You and I both know that the reason why Moto says TRBO is not suitable for public safety usage is because TRBO has already been established at a lower price tier than P25.

They're not going to sell a cheaper, lower profit solution to a customer when they CAN sell them the more profitable option instead.

It comes down to money.,

Exactly..

TLF82

Premium Subscriber
Only thing I can figure is interop. You would still be selling the high-end (and high dollar) P25 radio for police/fire, but it could also talk to public works on Trbo.

Who knows what Moto will do. Sometimes I don't think *they* know what they'll do.

Police/fire don't talk to public works... If they need to talk to them they relay through dispatch.

PACNWDude

I ran into this when some entities in my area bought XTS5000's and another bought XPR6550's. FDMA vs TDMA. My solution for interoperability was to have some analog channels in each radio.

Currently I carry a Harris Unity and I still need some analog channels to keep in contact with people carrying older Motorola and Trbo radios.

Like others have said, I'll believe it when I see it from Motorola. (And I'll have money in hand for at least one if it does get released to the public.)

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
If it does happen it will be a special release for federal three letter agencies on special firmware (exactly like the dual RF deck single head XTL setup...)

Pretty sure all you need is the appropriate hardware and the correct flashcode.

There's been a few of these at various hamfests.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Kenwood NX-5000 series.
I know, not DMR, but it will do analog, P25 and NXDN. Multi RF decks (up to 3) and up to 2 control heads.

I've heard rumors from some that a DMR option may be available in the near future, but yeah, just rumors. With Motorola refusing to do it and Kenwood wanting to grow their market, there might be some validity to this. Theoretically possible, the vocoders are the same, it's just a software thing. Kenwood is already doing DMR in other markets.

Probably won't appeal to the Motorola die-hard/fanboys though.

For the record, I went to Motorola with half a million in my hand looking for a trunked system to replace my failing Type 2 system. We were on NPSPAC frequencies. Motorola refused to sell me a Trbo system to work on those frequencies, in fact the Trbo radios used to specifically block those NPSPAC channels. Their statement was that "NPSPAC is for public safety and public safety MUST be P25".
Took my half million and went to Kenwood.

There is a market for these DMR/NXDN - P25 radios. I'm one of them. Not a big market, but it's there.

Dygear

You see that's my thing, I'm looking hard at a MotoTRBO install for about thirty grand, but I'd much prefer to buy a APX Radio because we are a public safety organization and use it on a MotoTRBO site, and every now and aging talk to PD on their P25 system. I want the best of both worlds. Q3 of this year, if that's true, I'm gonna be a little bit pissed off because they should of done that years ago! There is no point making the end all be all radios in the APX and not allow it to be used on MotoTRBO sites because they didn't feel like doing the programming.

TLF82

Premium Subscriber
You see that's my thing, I'm looking hard at a MotoTRBO install for about thirty grand, but I'd much prefer to buy a APX Radio because we are a public safety organization and use it on a MotoTRBO site, and every now and aging talk to PD on their P25 system. I want the best of both worlds. Q3 of this year, if that's true, I'm gonna be a little bit pissed off because they should of done that years ago! There is no point making the end all be all radios in the APX and not allow it to be used on MotoTRBO sites because they didn't feel like doing the programming.

You've missed the point completely... In the eyes of Motorola if you need interop then that's why we have frequencies for that. Motorola is out to make money. They make more money if they sell you two radios. Also they are not going to put a feature into a public safety radio that is not rated for public safety. The APX is the bleeding edge of public safety radio technology right now. MotoTRBO is the bleeding edge of business radio technology. They are two different worlds. Motorola is not going to put a feature into a mission critical radio that does not meet mission critical needs. That puts liability on them if someone was injured/killed due to a failure of a mission critical radio due to the fact it has something that does not meet those standards.

phillydjdan

For about the last 50 years or so if one person wanted to talk to another person on a different band/system, they had 2 radios. How many police cars and firetrucks have/had 2, 3 even 4 radios installed? You can kick and scream if you like, but in the end you're gonna be using 2 radios, end of story.

Status
Not open for further replies.