• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MTS 2000 programming help

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
If the radio was still supported by Motorola, you would be able to purchase it legally from them. Not trying to be an A-hole but, if you're asking for someone to provide software check the forum rules before you ask for it.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yep, what ^he^ said.
MTS-2000 is no longer in production and no longer supported. The Motorola CPS isn't available.

There is no -legal- source of this software other than Motorola.

No ---legal--- source. It is out there if you know where to look, but then the whole copy write rules come into play.

Also, make sure you DO read the forum rules, asking for software is usually met with a mighty smack of the ban-hammer.

If the radio was still supported by Motorola, you would be able to purchase it legally from them. Not trying to be an A-hole but, if you're asking for someone to provide software check the forum rules before you ask for it.

Thank you for your input! I contacted Motorola and they had a hard time understanding that I wasn't talking about an APX :) lol but the short version is they said it's no longer supported and they don't have or (sell) the software for it anymore, but they said some dealers might still have it, that's why I'm asking here! Not looking for freebies:)

Yep, what ^he^ said.
MTS-2000 is no longer in production and no longer supported. The Motorola CPS isn't available.

There is no -legal- source of this software other than Motorola.

No ---legal--- source. It is out there if you know where to look, but then the whole copy write rules come into play.

Also, make sure you DO read the forum rules, asking for software is usually met with a mighty smack of the ban-hammer.

Thank you for the info !! I was asking here because Motorola suggested that dealers MIGHT still have the software for it. So that's why I was asking here!

N4KVE

Obviously a dealer would still have the program on their computer to be able to program their customer's radios. There are radio forums where CPS that is no longer sold by M is available, & M allows this since they do not sell it anymore. The internet is your friend.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
and when you do find that "other forum" and locate the no longer sold or supported software, keep in mind that the MTS2000 CPS was only officially supported on 32 bit version of Windows Vista. That's right, it's 2007 all over again.

While it may work on Win 7/8/10, it will NOT read or write radios on any modern 64 bit Windows version.

Just a heads up, coming from someone who still maintains about 100 or so of these on a Smartnet II system (for not much longer hopefully)

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
and when you do find that "other forum" and locate the no longer sold or supported software, keep in mind that the MTS2000 CPS was only officially supported on 32 bit version of Windows Vista. That's right, it's 2007 all over again.

While it may work on Win 7/8/10, it will NOT read or write radios on any modern 64 bit Windows version.

I hate to be "that guy" brother but using Windows XP virtual mode on my laptop running 64 Bit Win 7 I have been able to read/write to MTS 2000s no problem:

Oxs8AgF.jpg

MbdGzBS.jpg

Now I don't recommend beginners go this route but if you like to live on the edge it can be done!

Just a heads up, coming from someone who still maintains about 100 or so of these on a Smartnet II system (for not much longer hopefully)

I feel for ya. I had a few hundred on our system when we were still 4.1 but since we have converted to full P25 on all 24 channels all of the MTS 2000s are boxed up waiting to be approved to be sold on GovDeals.
Feels good to only have XTS/XTL/APX to worry about :D

Marshall KE4ZNR

Last edited:

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I hate to be "that guy" brother but using Windows XP virtual mode on my laptop running 64 Bit Win 7 I have been able to read/write to MTS 2000s no problem:

I've also seen people brick these radios doing that. Glad it worked out for you Marshal. I am just trying to give the factory advice which is what the manufacturer says. For the benefit of others who may be new and dabbling with these radios for the first time, check out the CPS Read.Me file:

System Requirements:
--------------------
Operating Systems: Windows NT 4.0 (SP 6a or higher),
Windows 2000
Windows XP Home Edition (See Note)
Windows XP Professional (See Note)
Vista (32-bit) Home Premium (SP 1 or higher)
Vista (32-bit) Business (SP 1 or higher)
Note: XP upgrade or Vista upgrade from other operating
systems is not supported if the CPS was previously
installed on the old operating system.
Windows ME and Windows 98 are no longer supported.
You may choose to proceed with the installation, but
some features might not be functioning properly.
Upgrading the operating system is highly recommended.

Without the virtual machine/may not work/may brick your radio configuration, out of the box MTS/MCS/Astro Saber/Spectra CPS will not run in a native Winxx 64 bit environment to read or write radios. While folks like you and I who do this for a living have work arounds, most novices who just bought their Ebay special and have little experience may wind up with serious butt hurt and may not have the tools or the talent to recover.

Just trying to give the proper advice. I am sure you will concur.

I feel for ya. I had a few hundred on our system when we were still 4.1 but since we have converted to full P25 on all 24 channels all of the MTS 2000s are boxed up waiting to be approved to be sold on GovDeals.
Feels good to only have XTS/XTL/APX to worry about :D

We still have a few dozen in service and hundreds lying around. I have been using the better looking ones for special events. We are finally going to sunset our 26 year old Smartnet 3.xx simulcast before the end of the year. We went from that to 7.13. It sure is a different world in Astro 25 land but I like it. The majority of our fleet are XTS/XTL with some APX radios by brass and tech staff (like me). But that too will be changing.

Being a part of and involved in this project has been an eye opening experience for me, and a tremendous learning adventure too.

One big chunk at a time. And these are expensive chunks!

Status
Not open for further replies.