• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XPR4550 Programming Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

wb5nia

I have a UHF XPR4550 that has me stumped. This radio has three analog simplex channels programmed. One of these channels shows 40 watts out, and the other two show 18 watts. All three are programmed for high power.

I have compared the programming, and the only difference I see, is that one channel uses DPL, and the other two use CSQ. The one with DPL shows 18 watts, along with one of the CSQ. The other CSQ shows 40 watts. There are several analog repeater channels in this radio, and they all xmit at 40 watts.

Has anyone ran into a problem like this, and if so how did you fix it?

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Is the firmware up to date? Have you tried making a new codeplug from scratch and putting that in? Sounds pretty bizarre...

wb5nia

The radio shows firmware version R011211. I don't know if this is the latest. I am new to Motorola Online. I did manage to find where to download the 11.6 CPS, but don't know where to look for firmware.

Last edited:

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
That's pretty recent firmware. I think 1.12.15 is current (or close to it). Tuning issue with the radio maybe? Are the 3 frequencies in question close to each other or far apart (ie 410 and 465).

I'm assuming the channels won't be digital if he says DPL is set.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Quick rule of thumb... if you see the padlock icon on the top row of the display (either open or closed, doesn't matter) then the channel is digital.

wb5nia

The frequencies are 446.000, 445.825, and 447.150. I am going to check and see if the two might have somehow got switched to digital.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
The padlock denotes an encrypted channel only. The channel could still be digital.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Strange. Try putting the DPL channels into CSQ and see what it outputs then. I assumed it was TDMA based on the output being about half of the high-power.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
On 1st generation radios like the 4550 the padlock will show on any digital channel, in either the open or closed position depending on the privacy setting.

Edit.. The icon may NOT appear if security is set to 'None'. I've always used privacy so perhaps under certain settings maybe it may not appear... was pretty sure it did though.

Edit 2.. Ok.. so if Privacy is set to None, no padlock. Set it to Basic or Enhanced (even without assigning a key variable) the padlock then appears. So ignore my earlier statement about the padlock :)

Last edited:

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
I have no privacy set, but all my DMR freq's show an open padlock on both my 4550's.
Right, but you must still have privacy set to basic (under the Security branch of the tree) even if you don't have any key assigned or enabled. We have a bunch of 4550s here with a mix of Cap + talkgroups and IPSC channels but no padlock at all because we have privacy set to "none". The CPS defaults to "basic".

N4KVE

Right, but you must still have privacy set to basic (under the Security branch of the tree) even if you don't have any key assigned or enabled. We have a bunch of 4550s here with a mix of Cap + talkgroups and IPSC channels but no padlock at all because we have privacy set to "none". The CPS defaults to "basic".
I'll have to check. When I got my 4550's a friend gave me his codeplug which saved me hours of typing.
Follow up. I just read the radio, & changed basic to none. Open padlock is now gone. Thank you sir!

Last edited:

TLF82

Premium Subscriber
What kind of VSWR's are you showing on the frequencies that have the low power output?
What are you using to test with?

wb5nia

The antenna system shows VSWR of 1.01 on all channels. I am using a Telewave Model 44A wattmeter to test power and VSWR.

I have a second XPR4550 in the mobile. I plan on pulling it out, and see what it does in the shack. Both radios are programmed the same.
If the mobile unit shows 40 watts on all channels, I will delete the two 18 watt channels in the shack radio, then reprogram them back into the radio.
If the mobile radio has the same problem as the shack radio, that tells me that it is a programming problem that I haven't been able to spot.

Last edited:

wb5nia

Got it pinned down to being the antenna system. Into a dummy load, 40 watts. Into the antenna system, 18 watts. The other channels are 40 watts in both the antenna, and the dummy load.

So....what do I have here? The antenna is a 6 element beam side mounted on the tower. It is fed with 1/2" hardline coax down to ground level, then changes to LMR400 coax for about ten feet to get into the shack, and to the radio. Do I need a longer piece of LMR400? I can't shorten it, unless I want to move outside, and operate from the backyard. Hi Hi

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
What are the frequencies that are 18 watts and what is the bandwidth of you antenna? I am expecting they (18w) are the highest or lowest frequencies you are using and are just outside the bandwidth of your antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.