• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTS5000 Programming Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

WatnNY

Database Admin
Database Admin
Are there any OEM programming cables out there that aren't $300? Preferably USB?

Thanks.

Mike

sfd119

Check some radio boards for used ones. I've had success with my personal stuff using the KawaMall stuff, but wouldn't recommend it for critical applications.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
You get what you pay for... Its a lot more costly to fix a bricked radio than a OEM cable.

KC8ESL

Premium Subscriber
I really don't want to whack the beehive here but...

Exactly why should we use OEM-only cables when so many people have had nothing less than perfect results with Kawamall's products?

Am I missing something?

N4KVE

It's one thing to use a "cheap non OEM" cable on a $50 Jedi, so if it gets bricked it's no big loss, but would you want to take a chance on an expensive radio? Is Kawamall going to pay for the repair to your expensive radio if it croaks while programming?

KC8ESL

Premium Subscriber
You think Motorola would do the same if you attempted to program an out-of-warranty xts with an OEM cable? Doubt it.

Seriously, I want a technical answer other than the paranoid "$+it could break." Are the plastic or springs inside it not made to spec causing pins to not seat correctly? I really just want to know because I hear the same thing all the time and I challenge what isn't a legitimate answer. Before someone challenges me on the "well this is the commercial forum", I also read that this is the personal radio forum, and that is how I use my radios.

N4KVE

Years ago I had an off shore Jedi cable. When it worked, it worked fine. But the springs in the pins died, so it would no longer work. Fortunately I was able to take the pins from a dead Moto mike & put them in the cable, & then all was fine. Now I use a Maxton ribless cable, & it seems to work fine, but my Jedi's each cost me about $50. But for my XPR, & XTS5000, I use factory cables. But I'm lucky that I'm able to get used less than 1 year old factory cables on the cheap from a friend who buys, & sells radios like I buy hot dogs.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
Hey, if you're feeling like taking a risk with a radio that's STILL worth at least twice the price of a new genuine Moto programming cable, that's your business, but to me that's really no difference than putting the cheapest chinese made tires you can POSSIBLY find on your new sports car.

I really don't understand the cheap-arse mentality. I really don't. Buy cheap, you will often regret it. Buy quality, you probably never regret it.

KC8ESL

Premium Subscriber
I try to make my purchase decisions off of technical data and/or peer(that I trust) reviews. Money is secondary, for the most part. I just can't find a compelling reason beyond MOONBOOTS' comment and his just made me think: All mechanical components have a finite life. For a guy who plugs these into radios all day long, go for OEM. For a guy who plugs this into a radio once every 6 months to a year, buy the cheaper one.

You will be hard-pressed to argue that one.

N4KVE

I really don't understand the cheap-arse mentality. I really don't. Buy cheap, you will often regret it. Buy quality, you probably never regret it.
Sadly this is a problem lately with people buying cheap $125 Tytera DMR radios. They cause interference by jumping from one time slot to another. We are being infested with them because they are so cheap.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
" but they said the cheap ones were just as good...Help I bricked my $1000 XTS5000 I just bought on ebay with a $25 cable...Whahhhhh" See it here, see it on batlabs, see it on facebook...Then again its good for the people who have the right equipment and knowledge that make a few bucks fixing it..

WatnNY

Database Admin
Database Admin
I sure didn't mean to start an argument! I just blew my wad on the radio, I DON'T have $300+ for an OEM cable! I'm a freaken hobbyist (ham, CAP) not a professional programmer!

Mike

KC8ESL

Premium Subscriber
WatnNY, you and I are in the same spot. I've never heard bad news or from anyone that has bricked a radio with a Kawamall cable. With no bad reviews other than the pro-moto-only boys here, how can I gather that it's junk? I own 1 for my ht1250, 1 for jedi, 1 ribless for jedi (came with my xts3k), my rib is kawamall, my cdm1550 and gm900 cables are also both kawamall. My only complaint is that I forget to turn off the rib so I pay out a small fortune in 9v batteries when I want to program.

sfd119

I've never had a problem using non-OEM kawa stuff on the XTS series.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
WatnNY another option is find som one local with the cable. Build your code plug and put it on a zip drive and ask them to shoot it. When i worked back in the shop I had a few hams that would do that as they didn't make many changes and buying the software and the cable normally cost more than the radio. Maybe even try the local motorola shop.

N4KVE

When I bought my 6550, I went to the repeater owner who works for a 2-way shop, so he programmed my radio with a local code plug right then. There are many guys on our system with 6550's who do not have the CPS to program their radios. When a new repeater comes on line, they see the guys who can program their radio, & it gets done. Many people say Moto radios are too expensive because you have to include the price of CPS, & a cable, whereas a Tytera is $125 total. But like I said many guys are on the air locally every day who do not have the ability to program their radio, but has a friend who can.

Status
Not open for further replies.