• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTL5000 W series to 05

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirJ

Intelligence Everywhere!
Premium Subscriber
I have a mid power dash xtl5000 W4 configured. What is needed to turn it into a 05 remote mount? I am going to buy the parts needed off the bay.

Now before anyone goes ranting about needing software or illegal "depot", it will be sent off to depot/ M for flashing after I buy my parts for cheaper then MSRP.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
No depot needed. You use the CPS to change the control head. Your version of firmware may be needed updated as older firmware did not support the O5 heads.

I don't have the part numbers handy, but they are easily found on Ebay.

SirJ

Intelligence Everywhere!
Premium Subscriber
No depot needed. You use the CPS to change the control head. Your version of firmware may be needed updated as older firmware did not support the O5 heads.

I don't have the part numbers handy, but they are easily found on Ebay.
Well that's good to know, will save me a little but of money there. Do you know if the astro spectra remote kit will work with a W series xtl5000? I have two w4 xtl5000s.
I would like to make one into a remote 05 and remote w4.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
It will work, but not for an O-series head. They use the smaller cable. The flexes are very different between Astro and XTL radios.

SirJ

Intelligence Everywhere!
Premium Subscriber
It will work, but not for an O-series head. They use the smaller cable. The flexes are very different between Astro and XTL radios.
Yeah I understand I can use the astro spectra cable if I remote the w4.
I know the 03/05 use that round funny plug.... Don't know what it's called. But okay cool, can anyone else confirm this that way I don't go smoking my radio *yikes*

TLF82

Premium Subscriber
Yeah I understand I can use the astro spectra cable if I remote the w4.
I know the 03/05 use that round funny plug.... Don't know what it's called. But okay cool, can anyone else confirm this that way I don't go smoking my radio *yikes*

The round mic connector is called a GCAI connector.

To go to to a W to an O you need a the correct flex, bridge, and the O5 head. Before you move to to the new head read the radio and change the control head in CPS and program the radio. Power it down and swap the heads. Be careful and make sure you are grounded. XTLs are very static sensitive.

If you need firmware to be flashed, I have an ibutton and can help you out for a small fee. Email me at: k 5 t l f 1 at gmail dot com.

SirJ

Intelligence Everywhere!
Premium Subscriber
I was able to use the astro spectra dash kit on the w4 head, but the other piece with the two serial ports 24pin does not plug into the base of the xtl5000. Not sure if there is a special piece of ribbon needed to something.... The dash mount 05 turned out great. :/ bummed out about the w4 tho.

Looks like to use a astro spectra remote kit on a w series xtl5000 this part is needed: HLN6883 now this is just guessing that that kit includes the astro spectra 2x 24pin plate and a special ribbon. Where can I buy this that's not going to cost me as much as the radio? A simple Google search hasn't yielded much

Last edited:

cmdrwill

I think you meant to say 25 pin DB connectors, which the Spectra and Astro Spectra's use. And yes they are out there for the XTL with the ribbon connector.

SirJ

Intelligence Everywhere!
Premium Subscriber
I think you meant to say 25 pin DB connectors, which the Spectra and Astro Spectra's use. And yes they are out there for the XTL with the ribbon connector.
Yes that's what I ment. It's been a long day.
I thought eBay was a place for parts for these but there are zero parts for W series XTL's. I seller sold a pair of what I need for 50 dollars, not sure if that is a good deal. I could imagine what I need is over $100 which means the w series dash stays a dash configuration until a kit, or parts appear on there or a forum.

SirJ

Intelligence Everywhere!
Premium Subscriber
The round mic connector is called a GCAI connector.

To go to to a W to an O you need a the correct flex, bridge, and the O5 head. Before you move to to the new head read the radio and change the control head in CPS and program the radio. Power it down and swap the heads. Be careful and make sure you are grounded. XTLs are very static sensitive.

If you need firmware to be flashed, I have an ibutton and can help you out for a small fee. Email me at: k 5 t l f 1 at gmail dot com.
By chance do you recall where to change the head type? When I click on the tree branch that says: control head it just shows a w4 head...

TLF82

Premium Subscriber
By chance do you recall where to change the head type? When I click on the tree branch that says: control head it just shows a w4 head...

I'm not in front of my computer right now, but it's a drop down menu on the tabs on the top of CPS to change the control head.

SirJ

Intelligence Everywhere!
Premium Subscriber
From what I gather online, I change radio control head type via CPS drop down menu, write to radio. power off swap to 05 head and power on and I should be G2G? If an error / maint mode appears then head did not sync right and will have to run sync process or use a CVN file to upgrade head? Radio is already at the last / latest firmware from MOL. I keeping the radio a Dash mount I am not Interested in remote mount at this time.

TLF82

Premium Subscriber
From what I gather online, I change radio control head type via CPS drop down menu, write to radio. power off swap to 05 head and power on and I should be G2G? If an error / maint mode appears then head did not sync right and will have to run sync process or use a CVN file to upgrade head? Radio is already at the last / latest firmware from MOL. I keeping the radio a Dash mount I am not Interested in remote mount at this time.

You are correct.

SirJ

Intelligence Everywhere!
Premium Subscriber
Just wanted to thanks those who helped me out, I successfully have a 05 xtl5000 in UHF. The sync process via CPS was super easy.

zacabo

I'm looking to do the same with my XTL 5000's. What parts are need to accomplish this?

phillydjdan

I'm looking for the FIRST version it supported. I think its pretty safe to assume it was way before r20...

ResQguy

Meh
Premium Subscriber
7/28/2005 Host R06.01.00 DSP R06.00.00 CPS R06.00.00
Introduction of O5 Control Head for XTL 5000 mobile radios

Also, it's an O series (Odyssey) head not a 0 (Zero).

Status
Not open for further replies.