• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Software Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

rustyjw

Premium Subscriber
I have the software to program the Motorola HT1250 and the CDM1250. I had it installed on an computer running Windows XP. I need to switch to a computer running Windows 10. I can not get the SETUP file to run so I can install the software. Any thoughts?

NotATechGuy

NotAMember
Premium Subscriber
What version are you trying to install? Technically the latest version R06.12.09 only supports Operating Systems: Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows7 and Windows8. I am able to install and run it on Windows 10 without issue. I do have problems getting a radio to read and write on windows 10 so I use a Windows 7 x86 machine to actually interface with radios.

LakeMan2

You have several options. There is a compatibility mode in Windows 10 that you could try. That may or may not work, in part depending if your Windows 10 is the 32 or 64bit version. The 32bit version is somewhat more compatible with the older software. For the 64bit even compatibility mode wont work for certain older software.

The "ultimate" compatibility solution I think is to run a VM (virtual machine) on whatever newer version of windows you want. You can use Hyper V or VMware Player. Somewhat more complex to setup, but basically it lets you install and run WinXP as a virtual machine on a windows 7/8.1/10 machine.

NotATechGuy

NotAMember
Premium Subscriber
Professional Radio CPS as of R06.12.05 added support for Windows7 (64 bits edition). [All regions]. It should install on Windows 10 without issue. I suspect OPs CPS version is too old.

LakeMan2

I don't know about the Professional Radio CPS and the latest version. If it supports windows 7 and 64bit it should in fact install and function just fine in windows 10. Or at the very least running the installer in compatibility mode in Windows 10 should work. In my case, I have much older Motorola products that are no longer supported and the software is from the Win98/XP days. If, for whatever reason, one truly needs to run on XP, then there are ways to do it on the newer operating systems, but it gets complicated.

dmaria

I have the software to program the Motorola HT1250 and the CDM1250. I had it installed on an computer running Windows XP. I need to switch to a computer running Windows 10. I can not get the SETUP file to run so I can install the software. Any thoughts?

What error(s) are you getting? I have CPS running on Windows 10 in a virtual machine with a Mac. Works great.

rustyjw

Premium Subscriber
I click on the setup file. The window pops up asking if I want setup to make changes to my computer. I hit continue (or whatever the button says). The window closes, then nothing happens.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
I click on the setup file. The window pops up asking if I want setup to make changes to my computer. I hit continue (or whatever the button says). The window closes, then nothing happens.
Don't give up. I have a Vista laptop that happily installed the Commercial Series CPS on the first try but does exactly what your machine does when I try to install the latest and last version of the Professional Series CPS. It's a head scratcher. I've tried different compatibility modes with no success. I also tried using the original Motorola CD-ROM disc and the behavior is the same.

FWIW, the Pro CPS installed just fine on several other desktop and laptops here and at the shop.

I don't "need" the Vista machine, but it would be useful if the CPS would install.

Status
Not open for further replies.